COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
"Nope! I'm outta here!": Player Initiated Charicide

Disclaimer: This may be a touchy subject, so I would like to begin this post by saying I do not believe suicide is funny or something to be taken lightly. Depression, mental illness, and debilitating physical illness can all lead individuals to suicidal thoughts. I strongly urge anyone having these thoughts to reach out to loved ones and/or medical professionals.

In a game like Chronicles of Elyria where your character ages from young and spry to old and, well... not so spry, I believe the developers have done a great job of keeping characters relevant throughout the entirety of their lifetime. Shifting focus from physical skills, to mental skills, to social skills over one's lifetime ensures an individual can explore a range of skills throughout their time in Elyria. Given the nature of the game and how open the world and the character options are, it is a good thing CoE gives each player an assortment of three souls to play with. While tying each soul to a body requires the expenditure of a spark of life, this allows players to explore different styles of play at the same time.

However, there may be instances when an individual wishes to explore another style of play in a new body while retaining their current soul. Perhaps they want to try their hand at being an explorer or champion, but they feel their current body is too old for such a path. Perhaps they are trying to time the peaceful transfer of their estate from their current character to their heir, but they feel like a window of opportunity will only be open for so long. Perhaps their character has bitten off more than they can chew and they wish to restart their journey now, before their character dies of natural causes.

Whatever the motivation, whatever the personal reason, I believe players in Chronicles of Elyria should have a mechanism for them to seek out and end their current character's life in a peaceful and painless manner.

Presently, a player could force their character into a situation where they are forced to spirit walk (throw themselves off a cliff, tease a herd of trison, try to pet some canis rabbits), but the rules for spirit walking are a little vague. Will there be an option to "walk towards the light" and force PKing? An issue this sort of mechanic might face is abuse if someone was able to get a hold of another player's login information. They could PK a character through one of the above scenarios and then walk towards the light.

I propose, a mechanic be put into place where a player who still has juice left in their spark of life has the option of "retiring" their character with a 24 hour period between initiating the retirement and finalizing the retirement. During this time, the character can still engage in OPC scripts but would be unplayable. This would be similar in many ways to how Eve Online allows players to "scrap" their characters (hopefully without the off screen screams of horror and mechanized buzz-saws). For SBS, having this option available can only increase their revenue as a soul needs a spark of life in order to enter a new body. The player doing the retiring loses the excess spirit their spark had remaining, a loss that is a trade off for getting to choose the time and place of the character's in-game death.

I am interested to see what other people think of this idea or if this idea has been explored previously, I would appreciate links so I can learn more.

11/27/2016 1:29:09 AM #1

So this whole post can essentially be boiled down to "let PCs euthanize themselves".

We already can.

All you have to do is choose to not complete your spirit walk.

11/27/2016 2:04:59 AM #2

Yeah I don't think this problem is big enough for any time to be spent on it. Like you said, there are many ways to die. There isn't really a reason to have this when you can just waltz into the forest, grab a water and come back to your fresh body.

I don't know anymore.

11/27/2016 2:17:44 AM #3

Yep. We pretty much discussed this a while back.

Permadeath exploiters

How to stop permadeath exploiters

I am in the process of trying to design a temple with a tile of bottomless water that can be used when a combat character reaches the point of being less effective than a younger model.

House of Repose is taken so I'm thinking ... "suicide booth".

11/27/2016 2:43:05 AM #4

I think suicides in first world countries are pretty darn funny if you ask me

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

11/27/2016 4:39:00 AM #5

There's upsides and downsides to doing this, but Caspian's basically said that if you're killing your character once their prime is over, you're missing the chance to maximise your skill ramp multiplier in the next life, if I recall correctly. By which I think it's safe to assume he means that SbS will be providing decent incentives to actually live through to old age, even as a character focused on physical skills. If we were to speculate, perhaps the multiplier on skill gain through teaching will go up the longer the player spends doing it? Or maybe the amount of progress one's students make while learning from the master would in turn affect the quality of the master's skill gain from having done it.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

11/29/2016 1:01:31 AM #6

And, you'll need a new spark once your character dies, no?

Carantenum is looking for more citizens. Click on the signature for more information!

11/29/2016 2:38:33 AM #7

You could walk into the ocean, thats a insta death.

On the other hand, You could go on a killing spree..... Im sure someone will be willing to end you

Sworn Count of Arkadia. Treasure of the Bank of Arkadia

House words: Arkadia Invictus

11/30/2016 1:41:41 AM #8

Posted By Energ218 at 8:38 PM - Mon Nov 28 2016

You could walk into the ocean, thats a insta death.

On the other hand, You could go on a killing spree..... Im sure someone will be willing to end you

Make a contract with a rich noble to legally hunt you as the most "dangerous game" with the money going to your heir? Brilliant!

12/3/2016 5:39:30 AM #9

You know that was the original story behind "The Running Man", before they made it about convicts in the movie? It was about the dystopian future where things were so bad people would sell themselves to game shows to raise money for their families.