COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Milk and Honey: Gathering While Spirit Walking

This is less focused on death and more focused on dying...

Given the unique nature of death in Chronicles of Elyria, what would happen if there existed a spiritual oasis only accessible while spirit walking? I am not entirely sure how the overlay will work to prevent spirit walking characters from interacting with the over-saturated environment of the spirit realm, but there could be a method of making certain harvestable items that can only be perceived and interacted with while spirit walking. If you did have such special items, like flowers, berry bushes, or fruit trees, such items could be used to craft very unique (and potentially powerful) consumable items.

Due to the WYSIWYG inventory, it would be difficult to explain how such items manifest in your possession once you return from spirit walking. Maybe they are rare items you have to consume in the spirit world for a benefit when you awaken, perhaps even negating the spirit loss you suffer from being near death.

Obviously, I would imagine such spiritual items would be exceedingly rare and very cost prohibitive if people were planning to have near death experiences in order to track down such rare items for exploitation. I just thought it could add an additional layer to the game and make someone's near death experience a fabulous tale in-and-of-itself. In fact, maybe it could be a spiritual oasis (singular) and it moves around the world on a daily basis, making the hunt for it in the spirit world an incidental quest.

What are your thoughts on that sort of a mechanic?

12/8/2016 1:30:47 AM #1

It could also prove as a distraction that keeps people from getting back to their body before the 'timer' runs out on them and they suffer a permadeath lol.

12/8/2016 9:57:17 AM #2

Just NO. Hopefully not.

The Goal is to punish mistakes an risks! Why WE Now Need extra Gifts to player? If they would use this idea - its similar to an ingame Shop. Because If You Need to die to get this items You have to pay more real Money cause of often perma Death and spark Need!

Hopefully not

Alt text - can be left blank

12/8/2016 7:38:31 PM #3

Yes, in this instance the majority of players would be punished for spirit walking (or punish themselves as they attempt to seek out these spirit realm only items). However, it is a bit of a stretch to say this concept is similar to an in-game shop. The small chance and probability makes it more like a death-based lottery. While I am sure some groups could find a way to use this in-game (perhaps with a sort of "who's turn is it this time to hunt for the spirit oasis" lottery-based cult), it would be more within the realm of a chance find by a randomly spirit walking player with little chance of repetition.

12/10/2016 10:20:26 AM #4

It's also easy to abuse if the items are really valuable. Just get yourself a bunch of alts with no fame at all and each of them can do dozens of near-death experiences before they get anywhere near perma-death.

Alt text

12/11/2016 10:31:02 AM #5

A cool concept I suppose, but it does give advantages to those who can afford to die constantly (ie have the disposable income irl to do so) or those who want to abuse it like CalligoMiles said.

Kind of off topic but not entirely...

It seems to me that alot of your ideas seem to be stuff that is beneficial (maybe not necessarily "Pay 2 Win", but pretty beneficial) to people with plenty of disposable income. Not saying all your ideas are like that, but I have seen quite a few. First it was giving higher backers higher level souls, then it was a cooking ingredient you could buy for real money, and now this.

I think that is precisely when alot of your otherwise cool ideas fall apart, when they give benefits to players who can pay. You seem like a very intelligent and creative person, and I am sure you can come up with alot of cool ideas to share with the community, but they must be something that has nothing to do with real world money if they are to work.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

12/12/2016 2:24:29 AM #6

Posted By Apaukolypse at 04:31 AM - Sun Dec 11 2016

A cool concept I suppose, but it does give advantages to those who can afford to die constantly (ie have the disposable income irl to do so) or those who want to abuse it like CalligoMiles said.

Kind of off topic but not entirely...

It seems to me that alot of your ideas seem to be stuff that is beneficial (maybe not necessarily "Pay 2 Win", but pretty beneficial) to people with plenty of disposable income. Not saying all your ideas are like that, but I have seen quite a few. First it was giving higher backers higher level souls, then it was a cooking ingredient you could buy for real money, and now this.

I think that is precisely when alot of your otherwise cool ideas fall apart, when they give benefits to players who can pay. You seem like a very intelligent and creative person, and I am sure you can come up with alot of cool ideas to share with the community, but they must be something that has nothing to do with real world money if they are to work.

You give very good concrete examples of my tendency to present mechanics that seem to favor those with disposable income. Now seeing this underlying theme, I can be more wary of it in the future and make sure ideas I present from now on aren't unintentionally benefiting those with the ability to throw more money at this game.

Thank you for this observation and clear evidence to support it.

12/12/2016 5:00:31 AM #7

I can't really say this benefits only those who can pay though. If they make the astral plane another layer of the world, you could travel in it for irl days and never find a thing.

We don't know how long walking takes but I wouldn't say more than 10m. Days/10m. I can't see someone spending thousands of dollars on alts for a chance at an that may or may not even exist.

Not to mention lets say they found it.... Do they have time to get to their body? Probably not. Even if you found the location after spending thousands on alts all SBS would have to do is spawn you in a random location in the astral plane when you did and your literally fucked because you have no idea where you find it. Even if you recorded you finding it could take thousands of more dollars in Alts trying to get the same spawn.

If it were done right it would take ALOT of money to actually game this system. Especially if they had an algorithm that was able to control the amount of times a given spawn point could be used in the astral plane at a time. They could make it so only 2 people could spawn in body walking distance to the "oasis" (since it's the given example) every month.

You literally can't game that with money unless your about to lay down thousands and thousands.

Only 2 players out of 100k a server would be able to get to it per month. Not to mention you would have no idea when the spawn was last used or how long until the next one. Meaning you be spamming perms deaths for a long ass time.

The real kicker is that someone could spawn near it and not even know / care and use that spawn spot to just get to there body thus locking it for the whole month. So if something like that were at play it is unlikely to be gamed by money.

I don't know anymore.

12/12/2016 7:15:27 AM #8

The thing is people could spend thousands to get an advantage. There are people out there able and willing to do just that. For example, people have backed this game for $40,000..and it's not even out yet. Not saying they are trying to get an advantage, but it serves as a proof of concept. But I feel like you highly over exaggerate the amount people would spend, as I doubt even people looking to game the system could blow through souls that quickly.

And that's completely ignoring the meta game and immersion ruining people are going to encounter when people abuse the spirit loss cool down to die as many times as possible to go looking for such an entity in the spirit realm.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

12/12/2016 2:24:24 PM #9

If its 30$ a soul and only 1-2 people have a -chance- to spawn near the "oasis" per month and they are spamming permadeath to find the "oasis". Make the spawn rate >1% and lock it off affter 1-2 spawns for a month. How many alts would you need?

Also using crowdfunding tiers to justify in-game purchases isn't really logical to me since they are getting SO MUCH more for that money. For 3k in alts they could be a duke with a shit ton of bonuses. Or have 30000 EP for buildings, mats, land, etc.

It's not $3k for 1 item. I would buy a duke tier if I had 3k. I would NEVER spend 3k on a chance for a single item. Again it would probably end up higher than 3k because just look at that probability.

>1% spawn rate.

Anyone can spawn there and not even know it 1-2/100k playwea

Once someone does that spawn is locked off for a month and no one knows if it is available or not.

Even if he only did 1 alt per day probability is just isn't on his side. I mean think about how many times people have ran ICC in WoW for invincible mount. Some people still can't get it after 1 raid per week for SEVEN YEARS+. They are also locked out once per week. Imagine if they had to pay 30 bucks each time they did it for that seven years.

Now add the fact that only 1 -2 people can use the spawn per month and now your at even slimmer odds.

Even if ghettomaster dropped ALL his 40k on souls, he can't buy time. If the month is taken, it's taken. He can't buy it back, know when it's gone or figure out when it comes back up. Meaning he is literally funding SBS for free in false hope.

I'm not saying that people won't, it's unlikely and probability isn't on your side even if you did.

If they really wanted to prevent it they could control who spawns where by IP. So if your dropping 100 deaths a week by IP, your prolly not legit and they can just use 1 line of code to block your spawn. Of course the player wouldn't know this so he wouldn't know to use a VPN or the like.

Also, if they even implemented something in the astral plane it is HIGHLY unlikely we would know about it until someone found it. So they can't start spamming until it's been found. So take a >1% spawn rate mixed with the unknown 1 month lockout, 100 death per IP week limit for eligibility to spawn, and the fact it has to already be found by someone who most likely isn't looking for it.

Let's say use even got the spawn too. You don't know where the oasis is and you don't know you got the spawn. Sure it is in distance for you to get there and make it to your body but if you fuck up and go the wrong direction your fucked and the spawn is gone for 1 month and you would have never known that you got it.

Yeah possible, but it's more likely for someone to stumble upon while going back there body like intended.

EDIT: I mean the immersion isn't really affected unless they random shit infront of you to die. If I just drowned an alt every 10m you wouldn't be affected what so ever.

I don't know anymore.

12/12/2016 2:41:50 PM #10

One last thing, I think you guys are putting the value of the item a bit too high as well. Just because it's rare doesn't mean it will do something for worth thousands of irl money.

You know how pissed I would be if I spent 4k on alts to find an oasis and all I could do was drink the spirit water to prevent spirit loss on my next death and a guaranteed return? It would be a cool little interaction for people random stumble upon it but isn't worth to spam because it only affects you. Why would you want to save a spammed alt from CDG? You probably wouldn't.

I spent 4k to prevent a chance at a losing $30 and since it's an spammed alt I most likely don't even want to keep him. So rip my wallet and well played to SBS. You may as well spend 2k on a box of cheerios.

I don't know anymore.

12/12/2016 7:35:02 PM #11

Comparing this to a raid is not the same at all. It's more like comparing it to a rare mob, one that when spawned will stay there until found or it moves location. They are much, much easieR to farm by people using bots and alts. People would find where they are and track their spawn rates and locations and find the best way to farm them. It wont cost thousands, it'll cost hundreds at the most.

I quoted the backers just to prove a point that there are people able and willing to spend absurds amount of money on a video game. You can't really reasonably deny that.

Also, implying you dying purposely over and over again wouldn't break your own immersion is silly.

12/12/2016 8:21:02 PM #12

Though I thought there was a talent called Plane-Walker or something of the sort where that person could enter the Astral Plane. Would have be interesting if they could be gatherers there without risk of perma-death.

I'm not a doctor.

12/13/2016 3:09:57 AM #13

Plane-Walkers gather the astral-radishes... just be careful of attracting fraggles.

12/13/2016 6:13:55 AM #14

The thing that I understand about the Astral Planes is that it is a different dimension, and only your spirit goes there (thus, spirit walking). As a result, your body, clothes, tools, etc... do not go with you. That would mean when you wake up, whatever you had in the Astral Plane wouldn't come back to the physical world either.

From a logic standpoint alone, farming in another plane with only a spiritual existence would result in the farmed goods just dropping to the ground in the Astral Plane. I could be wrong about this view, but I also understand that from a gameplay perspective it is also a negative idea (as explained above).

12/14/2016 6:40:43 AM #15

Im sure some lore explanation could arise explaining it. Maybe it manifests in the physical world just like your soul does, i dunno. I don't think that is the really issue here.