COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Rites of Passage: Death

Death is seen as the final rite of passage in many cultures. I was curious, with the introduction of tombstones, burial, cremation, and crypts... what methods of dealing with death are we going to see in CoE, and are there any ways we as players can augment and build on the lore of CoE in regards to this final rite?

One final rite I would like to see is cremation. Now, I don't mean the simple burning of a body, but the cremation of a body resulting in the ashes of the deceased. It would be nice if we could either have these ashes preserved in an urn, entombed in a catacomb/crypt, stored within a monument (perhaps a capital monument for deceased leaders, nobility, or soldiers), scattered to the winds or seas, or even buried with a seed to facilitate the growth of a new life.

What sorts of final rites would you like to see in CoE or how would you like the bodies of the deceased in your culture handled?

12/13/2016 4:41:17 AM #1

Sky Burials

The core religion of my Duchy intends to be something of a cult of the Faelism (or whatever it's called) religion. Everything has a spirit. Those spirits have courts, with the broader concepts being at the head of those courts.

The people of the Stormlands believe that to return to the world, they must be returned to the embrace of the spirits. That means leaving the ritually prepared body out to the storms, probably on a mountain. The spirits of the Scavanger will descend to retrieve the soul and bring it back to the courts.

12/13/2016 2:46:46 PM #2

Posted By Morbis at 10:41 PM - Mon Dec 12 2016

Sky Burials

The core religion of my Duchy intends to be something of a cult of the Faelism (or whatever it's called) religion. Everything has a spirit. Those spirits have courts, with the broader concepts being at the head of those courts.

The people of the Stormlands believe that to return to the world, they must be returned to the embrace of the spirits. That means leaving the ritually prepared body out to the storms, probably on a mountain. The spirits of the Scavanger will descend to retrieve the soul and bring it back to the courts.

That would be cool, especially if you had to prepare the body with sacred materials or plants in order to ward off bad spirits and attract the right spirits to take the soul back to the courts.

12/14/2016 2:01:59 PM #3

I like the idea of cremation and burial and I think it would be fascinating to have crypts and graveyards with a purpose other than respawning or killing undead. It would be interesting to develop a family crypt for example that housed the ashes of all our past lives and family members. For those who couldn't afford the burial costs it might also be cool to have the ability to spread the ashes on the wind in some high, remote area. To make it more than roleplay you could even add a minor divine blessing to players who've honored their ancestors.

12/22/2016 5:18:24 AM #4

The Order of the Sun & Moon intends to cremate and place ashes in a Mausoleum. At the request of the family, the ashes could instead be sent home. Assuming cremation and ashes are not part of the game, we will make a ceremonial urn to represent the deceased regardless.

This was already approved by our county leader, so deceased will be permitted to be brought to us, or if found we will be purchasing a corpse cart to bring them back ourselves.

3/16/2018 5:09:11 PM #5

Posted By Morbis at 8:41 PM - Mon Dec 12 2016

Sky Burials

I'm a fan of Tibetan sky burials. I think that's how I would want to be taken care of after death, IRL. I love how the yak that is brought to carry the body up the mountain is released as a thank you. Care for all living things involved.

If I can do it in Elyria, I will. Though because I'm going to be a Kypiq, I'll probably leave my body at the base of a very old tree. There are adaptations of sky burials. Some cultures built scaffolds to put bodies on like the Native Americans, some just put the bodies in trees, laying them on the strongest branches.

Kypiq proprietor - Weaver/Tailor/Designer - Broad Leaf Forest