COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Mortal wounds!

So I was thinking about the knocked-out aspect of combat. Specifically negatives to the simplicity of the system.

1) you are going to be looking at a black screen for a few minutes not able to do anything to pass the time

2) you can't assassinate someone from range like a crossbow user taking out a king. At most they will just get knocked out and then pop up later fine as rain.

3) battles with lots of players will be a annoying prospect when it comes to cdg'ing people while trying to fight those around you

What I would like to propose is "mortal wounds" specifically "bleeding out","poisoned",and "concussion".

Now these wounds will not insta-kill a knocked out player. the basic concept is to give a mini game to those knocked out a chance to resist their mortal wound or reduce the amount of time they are knocked out. Also to give more impact to the tools people use to knock out someone, and the armor people use to protect themselves.

In addition this also gives rise to medical applications. Let's say your friends bleeding out and you got to him in time and bandaged the wounds while he was knocked out saving his life! Etc

Let's me give you a example...let's say your a guard with full steel armor protecting someone's property, and I am a thief attempting to rob said property. i sneak up behind you and bash your head with a club from behind. You experience a cucussion while knocked out and have to beat a mini game to reduce the chance that the cuncussion kills you. Now because you were wearing a steel helmet the chance that you would die from the bash to the head is slim even if you fail or do not participate in the mini game. However if you did not wear a helmet perhaps the chance it would kill you after a certain amount of time was high and you had to beat the mini game to save your life. Or a friend had to come and save you medically.

Now let's say instead the robber slits your throat with a knife or stabs you when your wearing no armor. AUCH now your bleeding out! Gotta beat that mini game or revive medical treatment fast...what if the blade was poisoned? Auch your slim chance of survival was cut to nothing unless someone saves you.

12/15/2016 11:21:24 PM #1

Also it would give a meta for weapons specifically designed to knock out and not kill. Such as clubs for knocking out people with the lowest chance for death. Or as I call it the "forget me stick"

1/13/2017 12:59:45 PM #2

Blade and Soul had a mechanic where if you reached 0 HP, you'd collapse to the ground and only be able to crawl. If you managed to crawl your way to safety, you could meditate to restore most of your health.

I think a similar system could work in this game, and would be especially helpful since there is a degree of permadeath.

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/13/2017 1:25:59 PM #3

I agree.

Some weapons/poisons should CDG without any additional action while others should trigger some sort of preventable CDG where you actively have to prevent it.

Now, we do not know but it might already be that way for some things.

1/13/2017 1:34:37 PM #4

Posted By NanoNaps at 06:25 AM - Fri Jan 13 2017

I agree.

Some weapons/poisons should CDG without any additional action while others should trigger some sort of preventable CDG where you actively have to prevent it.

assassins would most likely have lethal poisons or you might simply need to attack someone who is already knocked out. "double tap"

1/13/2017 1:42:27 PM #5

Posted By annfrank at 2:34 PM - Fri Jan 13 2017

Posted By NanoNaps at 06:25 AM - Fri Jan 13 2017

I agree.

assassins would most likely have lethal poisons or you might simply need to attack someone who is already knocked out. "double tap"

Well, my concern is that it will make VIP assassinations even more complicated just due to a "gamey" mechanic of having to double tap. Especially if the VIP has guards.

If I got to decide whether to put instant CDGs in and how, I would tie them to the combat/weapon skill or the potency of the poison though and not make them a mechanic tied to weapon-type only.

1/14/2017 3:59:07 PM #6

While it's a really interesting idea, to me it seems like a complicated solution for a simple problem. Doesn't it?

My two cents about the three cited problems:

1. Is more of a minor bother than a real problem

2. There could be (and probably should be) assassin related skills to help mitigate this. After all an assassin would practice making sure people were dead and be better at it I think. Maybe a skill that goes on the hotbar (assuming there is one) that automatically does the CDG if the attack does enough damage to kill.

3. I think stopping in a real battle to cut the throat of a fallen foe would be a potential problem too, so why should it be easy in game?

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair

1/14/2017 4:45:44 PM #7

From my understanding there will be various levels of medical help which implies different wounds with different results. I think there will be battlefield medics for quick patches, village medics/herbalists, and more specialized doctors and surgeons. What happens on the way from the battlefield to a formal surgeon is anyone's guess.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/18/2017 9:46:07 AM #8

Posted By junkbarbarian at 4:59 PM - Sat Jan 14 2017

While it's a really interesting idea, to me it seems like a complicated solution for a simple problem. Doesn't it?

My two cents about the three cited problems:

1. Is more of a minor bother than a real problem

2. There could be (and probably should be) assassin related skills to help mitigate this. After all an assassin would practice making sure people were dead and be better at it I think. Maybe a skill that goes on the hotbar (assuming there is one) that automatically does the CDG if the attack does enough damage to kill.

3. I think stopping in a real battle to cut the throat of a fallen foe would be a potential problem too, so why should it be easy in game?

In a real battle, impaling someone generally removes the need to stop and cut his throat.

Alt text

1/20/2017 5:54:39 AM #9

In most LARPs, when your hitpoints reach 0, you are bleeding out. It would take a coup de grace to kill you instantly, or there is a 5 minute timer in which people have the chance to stabilize you (first aid. Usually requires that you have that skill. Brings you up to 1 hitpoint but you are still unconscious unless woken up). They can also hit you with a healing spell or force feed you a healing potion/alchemy. Those potions and spells skip first aid and raise your hitpoints in line with the power of the spell/quality of the potion/alchemy, also reviving you. If your 5 minutes run out, you're dead.

However, there are certain weapons and spells that kill instantly. Namely, death spells. (duh). Or a weapon imbued with death magic.

Since this is a low fantasy game, I think the current incapacitation rules work well. Maybe there needs to be weapons that prevent you from self reviving.

In most LARPs, unconsciousness is caused by an alchemical sleep gas, a spell, or an alchemical poison laced weapon or dart. This does not affect your hitpoints/health. Since this is a game, perhaps there can be ways to use non lethal weapon and hand strikes, as well as holds, as a mundane way to render someone unconscious.

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/28/2017 1:55:38 PM #10

I really love the idea of weapons that are poisoned being able to cause a CdG. Or even of CdG being the default state when your HP reaches 0. The idea of someone having to go out of their way to incapacitate rather than outright kill you makes much more sense to me.

Or, as someone stated above, the idea of "assassin skills" that ensure a CdG from long-distance or without having to stop and, say, cut their throat make a lot of sense. But I really do think that one of the biggest appeals of this game for me, and many others, is the sense of danger and realism - that any encounter could be genuinely dangerous or life-threatening. This is mitigated somewhat by the current CdG system, which means that if you're not carrying anything of worth, getting into a fight which won't end in a CdG doesn't carry the same amount of weight.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

1/28/2017 2:42:58 PM #11

Posted By Ranulf at 11:54 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

In most LARPs, when your hitpoints reach 0, you are bleeding out. It would take a coup de grace to kill you instantly, or there is a 5 minute timer in which people have the chance to stabilize you (first aid. Usually requires that you have that skill. Brings you up to 1 hitpoint but you are still unconscious unless woken up). They can also hit you with a healing spell or force feed you a healing potion/alchemy. Those potions and spells skip first aid and raise your hitpoints in line with the power of the spell/quality of the potion/alchemy, also reviving you. If your 5 minutes run out, you're dead.

However, there are certain weapons and spells that kill instantly. Namely, death spells. (duh). Or a weapon imbued with death magic.

Since this is a low fantasy game, I think the current incapacitation rules work well. Maybe there needs to be weapons that prevent you from self reviving.

In most LARPs, unconsciousness is caused by an alchemical sleep gas, a spell, or an alchemical poison laced weapon or dart. This does not affect your hitpoints/health. Since this is a game, perhaps there can be ways to use non lethal weapon and hand strikes, as well as holds, as a mundane way to render someone unconscious.

Oh no, the people trying to say it's low fantasy are back.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

1/30/2017 11:31:59 AM #12

Could do like dnd in which when you reach 0 you are dying and have to fight to stabilize or else you die, with additional effects killing you faster (ei fire, poison, some one beating you). I also like the idea that certain wounds should let you still move, while others black the screen(so it might be better to just knock out the guards rather than risk a fancy knife throat slit).

2/4/2017 9:38:35 PM #13

Posted By Theodrian at 08:42 AM - Sat Jan 28 2017

Posted By Ranulf at 11:54 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Oh no, the people trying to say it's low fantasy are back.

Uh, Caspian said its low fantasy.

Magic is almost non existent and we dont run around with chainmail bikinis and impractical weapons. We dont have dwarves or elves, or any other high fantasy race

Thats low fantasy by pure description, regardless of what Caspian said ( even tho he said it was)

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

2/11/2017 11:06:28 PM #14

It might be worth saying it, because this will happen a lot.

Something unpredictable will be better longterm. Not just do X and you are okay, as that will inevitably get tedious.

• You might get a chance to revive.
  • You might get this minigame.
  • You might get that minigame, or that one.
  • You might be able to crawl.
  • You might be stuck in one place.
  • You might just immediately die.
  • The timer you get may vary.

Chances for each, with assassins skills, and expensive poisons, that have a preference for one. Too expensive to use in regular battles, but viable for every so often use.

Regular weapons like concussive ones for knockouts are a good idea too, for cityguard dealing with local trouble. Breaking up fights or disputes rather than killing people for example.

Friend Code: 699036

2/14/2017 7:09:54 AM #15

Imagine if you could drag unconscious people, essentially enabling ransom operations for the darker guilds.