COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Fishing/Water-based Skills

Not really suggesting anything here, but it occurred to me that there's a lot of things that you could do with bodies of water that could have tangible effects on the world in CoE.

1. Fishing First of all, would it be possible to create an artificial pond to create a fishing hub? Is fishing a planned activity? If it is, it would have to be implemented carefully, because it would be easily farmable. Perhaps have overfishing/conservation be a consequence.

2. Rivers Continuing the line of thinking of artificial implements, could a group of players choose to dam, or otherwise redirect rivers? Such a thing would be extremely beneficial to a kingdom, by redirecting water to hubs of population.

3. Oceans Will there be boating? Could you turn to piracy? Could you invent the diving bell, and search for treasure as a profession? Perhaps start a museum and catalog creatures of the seas. There is great potential for this sort of thing, both economically and as a player experience. At the very least, letting market vendors fish for the merchandise they sell would be neat.

1/2/2017 4:47:46 PM #1

that will come later I think , however in the dev journals....if you go "boating and hit the ocean" you will encounter permadeath.....I believe this was discussed on the Q&As or DEV journals already.

1/2/2017 5:43:14 PM #2

As far as I am aware, it is intended for oceanic boating to be available eventually - though not from the beginning - and that does make piracy an option. As for diving, we don't really know much at this point. It has been suggested that falling in the ocean, though not shallower waters, could result in perma-death but it may be subject to change, especially with technological development in the game.

Redirecting rivers was mentioned in the biomes q&a, but the staff didn't want to comment on it at this point, particularly because water physics are extremely complex to program and they will have to see what they can do first.

Finally, I believe fishing is meant to be in the game, though I can't recall a specific source for that so take it with a pinch of salt. I imagine though, that they would restrict the resources available from it like most other resources. As for creating artificial fishing ponds, I doubt it as I imagine it would be quite complex to set up. But you never know, it depends on what path they want to take.

That which we do not know, we should seek to know. Once we know it, we should practice it.

1/2/2017 6:36:06 PM #3

We will probably start out trying to research old danish Viking ships first that don't have much of a cargo hold but further on in game sailing will be the faster economic way to transport merchandise

Friend code 2f398a I am bound to the Luna server

1/2/2017 7:03:52 PM #4

And not just sailing the ocean, but what about vessels to move up and down the rivers as well. Thinking in terms of RL, moving cargo up and down the rivers for trade was always one of the fastest ways for transport.

Ex...You have a village or town in the mountains, located alongside a river. You want to move bulk amounts of material down river to a more major town or city for trade or sale. Factually speaking you could load more cargo onto a boat than a wagon, therefor transporting a lot more at once. The same could be said for sailing ships in the ocean from port to port.

However, CoE may not require us to move vast amounts of bulk items in this manor. I guess it would depend on if anyone wants to buy that much material.

1/2/2017 7:08:31 PM #5

A couple of dev journals back they had all these pics and in the pics there was a river with a boat and the devs said that nothing in Elyria is just for show everything you see has a purpose so I assume that river travel will be possible

Friend code 2f398a I am bound to the Luna server

2/26/2017 4:12:25 PM #6

In the talk I watched with the developers there will be boats, fishing, and sea commerce. Though it will be limited to lakes, rivers, and seas* (No oceans atleast for a while). They also mentioned a breathing under water 'Talent' that will make "permadeath through drowning impossible". Though they have not mentioned the repercussions (cons) to the 'Talent'.

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh