COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Talent Stealing

Hi there people, i been following this game for a while and recently joined the forums (like yeasterday xD) since the game seems more "real" now ! I got a couple of questions after reading many, many posts. 1- If by chance i have a talent and i meet the conditions to activate it i will lose it when i perma die and will not have it in my next life, is this correct? 2-WIll there be any way to "steal" or "absorb" the talents of other players? by either means of a uber rare item or even a talent (creating the possibility of starting super weak and end uber powerfull).

Thank you for your time guys!

1/5/2017 11:11:28 AM #1
  1. Yes, you will lose it. Your next life will have the same chance any other life has. In the same way, someone who doesnt have one will now have a chance to get a talent on that second life. You dont want to hog your talent now, do you? Sharing is caring.

2. I doubt it. Consider it an extremely unlikely possibility, but you absolutely will not know whether it exists or not until after game launch, AND someone actually gets said ability. But yeah, i really doubt itll ever exist, it would just end up being too strong.

~Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruins~

1/5/2017 11:38:49 AM #2

Hahahah no i would not like to hog my talent xD but i read somewhere that "genetics" will matter too ? topic was not well explained tough. For example i agree that the "Meteor on your freaking city goes KABOOM" talent could very well by a total by chance case, but something like, lets say, shapeshifting (a clan of people who shares this talent and marries inside said clan to keep the bloodline strong) or nightvision talent (damn if i had this talent i could prob make a uber base in a freaking dark cave ,start a clan, and be like freking hyuga from naruto xD)

2/7/2017 4:17:29 AM #3

it would be interesting to see a "talent" with the ability to mimic others with less potency

2/8/2017 2:43:48 PM #4

Keep in mind, Talents are not all pure magic, in fact most of them aren't. There will be more mundane talents that are like talented people today. Someone may be able to invent things beyond what the current technology allows, some people may be able to do an excellent job forging papers.

Stealing a talent like those doesn't make sense, it's like saying you're stealing his intelligence, or stealing his very delicate fingers.

On the other hand, I could see a talent that lets you copy other peoples skills or items. for example if you were a wood carver and had an object, you could duplicate it. Or maybe you could observe someone's fighting style and quickly learn it yourself. I could see a talent that allowed a person to master a skill more quickly by observing other people performing that skill.

2/12/2017 4:14:31 PM #5

Poses the problem of using the mechanic intentionally to persist a talent beyond death (within a family or other group). This would result in either talents being more common than intended or in other players having a lower than intended chance of getting a talent.

2/20/2017 5:55:41 AM #6

Maybe there is a way to perform some kind of ritual that would remove some of that persons life and their talent to be given or sold to another person that would effectively lose some of their time and give them the soul. i think it would almost add a new element to the game and make it more balanced to have a talent you know.

4/9/2017 12:20:55 PM #7

Hopefully not

G.l

4/9/2017 12:41:52 PM #8

From what I understand, if you have a talent and die you will lose it (it is bound to your life not your soul). As for stealing talents only vampires have the ability to absorb souls and talents making them more and more powerful.

Friend code: FF2B6D
4/9/2017 2:39:16 PM #9
  1. Yes, I believe so, but much is unknown. Some talents may carry over while others are a one life thing. It's something we will have to study and experience in game to find out.

2. I doubt it, but everything is up in the air right now, so it may be possible to have a talent or artifact that sucks up talents and/or magickal abilities.

- Shmuck

7/4/2017 1:58:05 PM #10

Talents are tied to your soul, NOT your spark. the only way to lose a talent is to lose your soul, either by becoming a lich which you store your soul in a phylactery, or becoming a vampire, strong vampires are able to capture souls. You have to re-unlock the talent with your new younger re-incarnated self. IF your soul isn't captured or lost through your game's journey.

7/4/2017 5:39:15 PM #11

Posted By Gunghoe at 08:58 AM - Tue Jul 04 2017

Talents are tied to your soul, NOT your spark. the only way to lose a talent is to lose your soul, either by becoming a lich which you store your soul in a phylactery, or becoming a vampire, strong vampires are able to capture souls. You have to re-unlock the talent with your new younger re-incarnated self. IF your soul isn't captured or lost through your game's journey.

Actually, this is not correct. To quote the wiki:

Talents were initially reported to be retained by a soul after permanent character death.[2] However this has been changed and talents are now bound to an individual character rather than a soul.[1]

Talents will not be in the game at launch and will be added later at an unspecified date, like magic.

Countess of Tarnham

County Tarnham, Rhynelands Duchy, Vornair. Luna Server (NA-E)

7/4/2017 5:47:18 PM #12

Yes you will loose your talent when your character is permanent dead, your talent will go back into the talent pool for redistribution. As far as I know there is no Talent Thievery and with the low chance of getting one I don't see them add it any time soon. And as mentioned they moved the talent from your Soul (that you could use over multiple lifetimes) to a Character (one lifetime). The only interesting thing I can remember about the Talents is that a Soulbound Couple (special ceremony) will share the talent with their spouse. What I am hoping for is a ceremony to release the talent. Not all talents are a hundred percent positive, you must take the good with the bad. If the bad gets too intense I would love a way to get rid of that particular talent all together for that life time.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the