COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
So, How big is the map going to be?

I've been wanting to know how big is this map really going to be? Is it going to take real life days to travel to one end to the other? Or just a few hours?

1/7/2017 6:37:47 PM #1

Scroll down to Sizes of Land and Settlements

Also....

Q. How large is the world?

We don't know the final size of the playable world, only the size of the starting continent.

The starting continent is approximate 256km x 128km.

It is estimated that it will take 48-hours of non-stop walking (at 1.5m/s) to walk one edge to the other, if the world is flat with no obstructions. Add in the mechanics required for resting, changes in the terrain (forests, rivers, mountains), etc., and this estimate will increase. (Borrowed from the Wiki)

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

1/7/2017 7:13:21 PM #2

Awesome. I know one character I will have travel from place to place to see the world, explore, and see what i can see. if it takes a good while to go from place to place the more the better! Might get my wife to play as she likes to explore, explore, explore.....

1/8/2017 7:01:53 PM #3

Self- removed (made post error)

Owner of the Blue Moon Inn & Tavern, the most grand tavern in all of Elyria. I am a gatherer and merchant by trade, skilled and cunning with the blade. I work with people of all walks of life.

1/8/2017 7:39:35 PM #4

in the 30th of september Q&A they mentioned the alpha map being 4x4km they said it's a little smaller than the smallest county would be and that it would be around an hour on foot and 20 minutes on horse back, if exploring is your thing tell yourself that the size of skyrim is around 2 to 3 counties with 15 to 20 county per duchy and 5-8 duchy per kingdom and 5 kingdom per server you will have plenty to explore for the 10 years the game will be running

1/8/2017 7:43:11 PM #5

wow, I didn't realise it was so big. Every day that passes by an I find new info the more I feel like I don't wanna be stuck being a mayor. The thought of exploring the entire world appeals to my adventurous nature too much.

1/8/2017 7:49:59 PM #6

Posted By SoulSpark at 11:43 AM - Sun Jan 08 2017

wow, I didn't realise it was so big. Every day that passes by an I find new info the more I feel like I don't wanna be stuck being a mayor. The thought of exploring the entire world appeals to my adventurous nature too much.

Nothing will stop you from exploring even as a mayor! Make some really good friends, delegate your powers.

2/22/2017 12:41:49 AM #7

yeah, you have a month to explore before coming back to make sure that your land isn't taken from you, but at the same time you are being a terrible mayor :P

2/22/2017 1:06:35 AM #8

It will be quite large. I would suggest you take a look at the YouTube video on the subject by Morbis MIA.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Aa6gVOvwg

You can also take a look at a few of the screenshots showing the mountains to get a scale of how grand the map is going to be.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/22/2017 4:27:26 PM #9

Posted By CountFrancisDrake at 1:39 PM - Sun Jan 08 2017

in the 30th of september Q&A they mentioned the alpha map being 4x4km they said it's a little smaller than the smallest county would be and that it would be around an hour on foot and 20 minutes on horse back, if exploring is your thing tell yourself that the size of skyrim is around 2 to 3 counties with 15 to 20 county per duchy and 5-8 duchy per kingdom and 5 kingdom per server you will have plenty to explore for the 10 years the game will be running

not per server, per starting continent on a server will there be the 5 kingdom limitation

once the required research level is reached and people cross the oceans. there will be more continents and more kingdoms and we don't know how big or small those will be.

2/22/2017 4:46:14 PM #10

Someone made a map of Elyria over a map of New York or something. It also had a comparison to Skyrim, and Witcher. GOod luck finding it though.

Merchants Beware of Ashy Sails..

2/22/2017 6:26:08 PM #11

Posted By Xearo at 11:49 AM - Sun Jan 08 2017

Posted By SoulSpark at 11:43 AM - Sun Jan 08 2017

Nothing will stop you from exploring even as a mayor! Make some really good friends, delegate your powers.

Also, don't forget other lifetimes. Maybe your first character is a mayor who is too committed to his post to travel, but your grandchild (whom you later play) has uncontainable wanderlust and becomes a cartographer.

2/22/2017 6:36:21 PM #12

yeah the problem with any map search with the term "Elyria" is the actual town in Ohio,USA by that name

but if you are looking for that thread of Elyria vs New York then:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/13791/vast-tracks-of-land-an-approximate-comparison-to-new-york-city?page=5

2/22/2017 6:44:07 PM #13

Posted By LorenzW at 6:37 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Also....

We don't know the final size of the playable world, only the size of the starting continent.

It is estimated that it will take 48-hours of non-stop walking (at 1.5m/s) to walk one edge to the other, if the world is flat with no obstructions. Add in the mechanics required for resting, changes in the terrain (forests, rivers, mountains), etc., and this estimate will increase. (Borrowed from the Wiki)

This is what I don't understand, what does it mean starting continent? is there more than one continent on server? and does "starting" mean we all begin on the same one and the other continents have nobody on them?

2/22/2017 7:03:57 PM #14

SoulSpark the ressources like ore are not endless. That's why after a long time we can discover a new continent. Long time? I think some RL years.

Another possibility could be a new continent for new players if CoE is a huge sucess and there much more players as one continent could handle. But i believe Caspian already mention they would just add another server instead of a new continent. I still hope for the new continent. ;)

Alt text - can be left blank

2/22/2017 7:06:51 PM #15

Posted By SoulSpark at 7:44 PM - Wed Feb 22 2017

Posted By LorenzW at 6:37 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Also....

This is what I don't understand, what does it mean starting continent? is there more than one continent on server? and does "starting" mean we all begin on the same one and the other continents have nobody on them?

It means that when game launches there will be only one (very large) continent, and everyone will be playing there. However as time progresses new continents will be added, oceanic ship travel will be enabled and we will be able to travel and discover (and fight for) new lands.