COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Should we be able to knock out people from stealth?

The most important aspect of stealth games is the ability to use your wits and skill to overcome obstacles you would surely fail against if you tackled them head-on.

In many stealth games you can knock someone unconscious without fighting if you get the drop on them. This could easily tie directly into CoE's unconscious/mortal wounds/dead system.

Personally, I'm all for it. I think it would add a lot of depth to the world and make stealth a genuine playstyle as opposed to "stealth-flavored combat skills". You could genuinely be an assassin that sneaks into a castle and kills the king!

The challenge is, of course, balancing something like that. You don't want players to be constantly sneaking around knocking everyone out!

I think it's doable, but what does the community think?

EDIT: I am asking exclusively about the ability to instantly knock someone out from stealth. All this talk about lighting mechanics, being on the outside/inside, and the historical accuracy of assassins are all great discussions that should be had, but they really miss the point of my question unless you tie them back in somehow.

1/7/2017 10:14:43 PM #1

Hm was long there is lots of skill envolved, cant move too fast in stealth, must keep hidden from line of sight , etc iam all for it. still i would say to be fair some kind of penalty to combat skill if you are found out... making it do it or you know you are dead.

1/7/2017 10:22:37 PM #2

The balance with these kind of skills never seems to be quite right in games. They become almost like a magic spell and people sneak across areas where even someone half-blind, looking the other way and possibly deaf would likely notice them in a real life situation... and yet don't in games. Incredibly unrealistic. So, basically, I'm all for having some sort of stealth mechanic, but it's got to be balanced. You can be the world's greatest ninja and there are still some places you cannot stealth yourself, period! :)

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

1/7/2017 10:30:46 PM #3

1/7/2017 10:52:40 PM #4

I agree that stealth mechanics need to be balanced AGAINST stealth. In my opinion, stealth should be "high risk high reward".

Seems like most people are for being able to instantly defeat enemies from stealth though.

1/7/2017 11:27:48 PM #5

Sounds dangerously close to God Mode. Decent helmets should negate that risk. You're not going to KO someone in a hard hat lol.

Odds are a loud thud or a metallic clang may also alert local guards.

I dont think "stealth" skills should equate to invisibility either. There comes a point its not realistic and downright silly.

Perhaps crime will make a case for streetlights though guards may become interested in unexpected blackouts and even civilians may attempt to get some lights on.

1/7/2017 11:32:47 PM #6

for me is like, stealth should be super hard to master, a mix of patience and skill. but i do believe it will be an essential part of the game.

How else you gonna assasinate that king (unless you bribe som1 he truts?) thats 24/7 behind the walls of his castle?

Now, it should be super hard, shadows, light, line of sight all should come into it. Unless you got a rare talent (dont mind this) you should have to work for it. Ofc the rewards will be great, imagine the gold involved on the assasination of a king?

1/7/2017 11:37:07 PM #7

Posted By Kiozanim at 11:32 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

for me is like, stealth should be super hard to master, a mix of patience and skill. but i do believe it will be an essential part of the game.

How else you gonna assasinate that king (unless you bribe som1 he truts?) thats 24/7 behind the walls of his castle?

Now, it should be super hard, shadows, light, line of sight all should come into it. Unless you got a rare talent (dont mind this) you should have to work for it. Ofc the rewards will be great, imagine the gold involved on the assasination of a king?

This is exactly what I mean... if a king is sensible, stays in a secure castle, is well guarded at all times, should some bloke be able to sneak past guards as if they are blind and knock him off? Of course not. It's not immersive. It might as well be that all thieves have magic and invisibility spells...

1/8/2017 12:15:24 AM #8

No way.

Knock-outs lend themselves to CDG and this is a permadeath mmo. No mundane ability in this game should be a one-hit knock out.

That doesn't mean there shouldn't be something for people who get flank attacks off, like extra damage on back hits, but this is way too over-powered.

1/8/2017 12:18:33 AM #9

it might lead to OPC's being scripted to spin like a top in place to reveal stealthers lol

1/8/2017 1:09:57 AM #10

Posted By Vucar

Knock-outs lend themselves to CDG

I don't know what that means

No mundane ability in this game should be a one-hit knock out.

It doesn't have to be a mundane ability that's accessible to everyone.

Sounds dangerously close to God Mode.

Hardly. You can only really get the drop on one person at a time, and if you fail you gave up your advantage.

1/8/2017 1:18:45 AM #11

Posted By Shuerpiola at 5:09 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

Posted By Vucar

Knock-outs lend themselves to CDG

I don't know what that means

CDG is landing a killing blow on someone unconscious, causing them to lose spirit and thus game time. It can result in permanent death if they lose too much spirit.

Being able to knock out someone means you're well placed to take game time away from them, and they never got a chance to do anything about it because it was 1 hit-KO.

Posted By Shuerpiola at 5:09 PM - Sat Jan 07 2017

No mundane ability in this game should be a one-hit knock out.

It doesn't have to be a mundane ability that's accessible to everyone.

Assuming you're not talking about legendary one-of-a-kind relics granting this ability, i'm guessing your idea was that this is something "stealthy" people could do, which in theory is anyone.

At that point: okay, sure -- reach the highest possible skill level in sneaking in the entire game, requiring multiple lives of practice, and then yeah having this kind of power would be appropriate for the effort and time that went into attaining it.

If that were the case, you'd almost have bragging rights that you were one of the guys that got murdered by the greatest assassin ever.

1/8/2017 1:28:45 AM #12

Maybe only if you can't hide in the light, are revealed if you step on or bump into anything that makes noise, are revealed if you walk in front of anyone, and are revealed if anyone is down wind or there is a dog around.

1/8/2017 1:29:55 AM #13

If you get a stealth system that adds such huge bonusses for stealth like the ability to onehit others, then it will clearly be forbidden to use stealth in many areas and stealth-users will face high penalties, just for being found in stealth. Like being killed just for stealthing. It adds to risk vs reward, though. But with such high rewards you ask for, the risk should be severe.

Friend Code: 30EF47

1/8/2017 1:34:38 AM #14

Posted By Vucar

CDG is landing a killing blow on someone unconscious

Oh, a coup de grace. I didnt recognize the acronym. IMO they should simply be called executions.

Yes, this was an intentional consequence of my suggestion. Having an alternative to head-on combat would add a great deal of depth to the game.

Yes, the fact that this game has permadeath is something that would make this mechanic even more awesome and impactful.

1/8/2017 1:47:47 AM #15

Posted By Vucar

Assuming you're not talking about legendary one-of-a-kind relics granting this ability

No, that would be really boring and conservative from a design perspective. If this game wants to be "daring new MMO" it calls itself it needs to be willing to take risks.

In fact, "perfect balance" would be a terrible for any multiplayer game. A carefully-crafted imbalance leads to a more interesting decision-making for the players.