COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
NPC spouses

Sorry if this has been asked, but I could not find it if it has. Will it be possible to have an NPC spouse? Seems like a good feature for those who don't have the time or inclination to seek a player wife.

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair

1/11/2017 9:33:24 PM #1

Wooing and marrying NPC is planned, but things could change.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.

1/11/2017 9:37:15 PM #2

I think an NPC wife will take more effort to obtain than a player wife to be honest. You actually have to jump through hoops with an NPC where as a player wants to expand their family and you can help with that.

Remember there is the other option. If you do not want to invest the time for one, why get one at all? You are not going to get any of the advantages of playing together and supporting each other if you are not going to put time in and there are no other benefits to marriage.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/11/2017 9:48:20 PM #3

A lot of people would prefer an NPC "spouse" (myself included) for a variety of reasons.

Chiefly some of us will be playing this game on our own though we may have a significant other and "marrying" a PC that we may not actually know is odd. Then again "marrying" some one we do know is even more odd.

It is my understanding that marrying an NPC is a matter of a contract and having enough favor, faction, or what have you (likely along with some pseudo random chance) with them.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

1/11/2017 9:56:10 PM #4

One of my concerns is being a guy who's schedule is dictated by my RL wife and kids, I would be online at odd time and my "wife" might end up feeling they got a bad deal.

I suppose I could roleplay a deadbeat husband that shows up after dark smelling of ale to rummage through the wife's bag looking for change. LOL

1/11/2017 10:02:39 PM #5

HAHA

I would think they would take that sort of thing into account. Thus far contracts in the game seem to be much more simplistic than real-world contracts so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Who knows though, if you go off for a week she may run off with baker.

Let's hop there is a "vacation" mode. LOL

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

1/11/2017 10:38:20 PM #6

Can I ask WHY you want a wife in the game? You keep talking as if they are necessary but there are other ways to grow your family such as marry off your children rather than yourself. Having an NPC wife because you happened to put your soul into a NTC who was already married I get, but actively seeking an NPC wife out seems to have very limited advantage unless you are trying to get a title through marriage.

1/11/2017 10:44:18 PM #7

Don't you need a wife/husband to have an heir? Maybe I'm making assumptions that I shouldn't.

1/11/2017 10:46:45 PM #8

You do not need to be married to have children. You can even be married and have children with people other than your spouse, which is very handy for those in same sex marriages.

Though thinking you do does explain the desire to marry an NPC!

1/11/2017 10:48:45 PM #9

Got it. Thanks.

1/11/2017 10:51:11 PM #10

Maybe the want to have a family in game but not have a real person playing one. I know I plan on that.

1/11/2017 11:06:37 PM #11

They did mention there would be bonuses to marrying a PC over an NPC however. And who says you need to be on at the same time. "Hey I want the marriage buff, do you too? Cool, sign here. Later."

1/11/2017 11:07:21 PM #12

Posted By randys22 at 10:51 PM - Wed Jan 11 2017

Maybe the want to have a family in game but not have a real person playing one. I know I plan on that.

Families in the game fulfil a very social role though. The idea is these are the people you play with most often. The people you get benefits from playing with, such as bolstering or helping you back from a spirit walk. People you can talk to where ever you are.

Those benefits just do not exist with NPCs so it seems strange to build a social group with people you can not be social with.

Posted By Kaynadin at 11:06 PM - Wed Jan 11 2017

They did mention there would be bonuses to marrying a PC over an NPC however. And who says you need to be on at the same time. "Hey I want the marriage buff, do you too? Cool, sign here. Later."

I do not think they are suggesting a 'buff' the only benefit they have spoken about so far is Soul Binding which is a step beyond marriage and permanently binds two souls together. The main benefit being to share spirit loss so your characters end up dying at similar times so you can continue to play together.

3/11/2017 7:58:00 PM #13

There are passive bonuses or something to having a family.