COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
The Cycle of a Year

So I read that a year in Eylerian time is 40 days! So that means that each season is 10 days. How can anyone plant crops? Sure, they can grow faster but this will break so much immersion! And also, if I talk to someone for 5 minutes then I will have wasted 7 hours of in game time! It would be better if each day was an hour in real life.

1/13/2017 3:41:42 AM #1

As I understand it, a character progresses through an entire life of between 80 and 120 years in one real life year. So about 100 years of character life pass in 1 year, which is roughly a year every 4 days. But time passes differently in-game. In short, you won't have to worry about single-day seasons. There's a good discussion of the topic here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/837/The-Length-of-a-Day.

1/13/2017 3:54:41 AM #2

I imagine the numbers for time/speed of growth/seasons will change a few more times before they are set in stone.

The Alpha/Beta phase will probably iron out those numbers to something that feels right.

1/13/2017 4:26:27 AM #3

wait, so if every year is approx 4 real life days, and seasons range from 4-9 days (or something like that), that means your character can spend an entire year under just one season?

the hell

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

1/13/2017 4:36:02 AM #4

Posted By OrangeBoy at 8:26 PM - Thu Jan 12 2017

wait, so if every year is approx 4 real life days, and seasons range from 4-9 days (or something like that), that means your character can spend an entire year under just one season?

the hell

This world takes place on Elyria, right? I don't see what is wrong with Elyria having seasons that last a year. Would be more odd for it to resemble earth seasons.

Would seem far more off to have each season last 1 day.

1/13/2017 10:36:42 AM #5

I think the last on this topic was 1 week RL == 1 year in game. And 1 year in game consists of 60 days in game. (Would mean 1 day is 2h 48min in RL).

I don't remember how season are handled with that way, but maybe 15 in game days per season. But that would mean 42h per season. So if I were to only play on weekends it would always be the same season. So maybe not?

EDIT: Just came about to read the "Plenty of eye candy" dev blog post. So seasons are 4 RL days long.

1/15/2017 9:31:43 AM #6

Posted By NanoNaps at 05:36 AM - Fri Jan 13 2017

EDIT: Just came about to read the "Plenty of eye candy" dev blog post. So seasons are 4 RL days long.

There's a more recent journal called "Down the Rabbit Hole" that says they're now shooting for 7 Earth days equating to 1 Elyrian year.

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/15/2017 10:42:30 AM #7

Wait...you don't like 40 IRL days being an Elyrian year because it would be too quick, but then you suggest every hour being a day which would be even faster?

24 IRL hours/24 Elyrian days x 40 = 960 Elyrian days, over 2 and a half Elyrian years per 40 IRL days.

1/15/2017 12:55:17 PM #8

Posted By Orisoll at 10:31 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

Posted By NanoNaps at 05:36 AM - Fri Jan 13 2017

There's a more recent journal called "Down the Rabbit Hole" that says they're now shooting for 7 Earth days equating to 1 Elyrian year.

Well yeah, I read that one too, but I already knew that before I read up about it myself (it was in my post as well)

1 year is 1 week in RL, Seasons are still 4 days (sometimes between 2-8). At least they did not say anything about changing this in that post. So 1 year does not necessarily have 4 seasons.

2/6/2017 11:26:32 PM #9

I currently believe this is completely unrealistic and immersion breaking, but that's just me. I'm looking at these times and it just doesn't seem immersive at all to have my character age 6 months in three days of roleplaying something out.

Sha'harizi County - Capital City of Ah'wena - Countess Aria - Kitlandria!

2/12/2017 1:49:46 PM #10

If it ever needs adjusting they could just have people die at 40-60 and almost half the speed of the passage of time. Which would fit the era the games based on. There were not many 70 year olds in medieval times for example. Though its nice to see the full range of age played out in game, its an option at least.

Friend Code: 699036

2/12/2017 2:42:20 PM #11

Posted By OrangeBoy at 10:26 PM - Thu Jan 12 2017

In some parts of the world it is like this. It isn't too much of a stretch to have elyria like this also

Everyone wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.

2/12/2017 3:33:27 PM #12

Posted By Kitlandria at 6:26 PM - Mon Feb 06 2017

I currently believe this is completely unrealistic and immersion breaking, but that's just me. I'm looking at these times and it just doesn't seem immersive at all to have my character age 6 months in three days of roleplaying something out.I don't think these role players know how to role play.

Your trying to rp a human on elyria. That's your problem. Your not a human. Your an elyrian. Elyrians have a year long lifespan. Their planet, Elyria, takes 1 week to circle the sun ( an elyrian year).

It's not immersion breaking if you actually use the lore instead of trying to be a human. Humans don't exist in this game.

I don't know anymore.

2/12/2017 3:33:42 PM #13

-bug post-

I don't know anymore.

2/12/2017 4:42:30 PM #14

Posted By Kitlandria at 11:26 PM - Mon Feb 06 2017

I currently believe this is completely unrealistic and immersion breaking, but that's just me. I'm looking at these times and it just doesn't seem immersive at all to have my character age 6 months in three days of roleplaying something out.

It's not realistic either to have people travelling the world, kingdoms changing hands and war being fought while people don't age at all.

Some concessions need to be made to the fact that we don't play literally 24/7, and do want to participate in events that would take many years to play out in reality.

Overall I much prefer a system where there is a sense of the passage of time than one where it's frozen, or so slow that the lifespan of the game would not be enough for a great deal to happen.