COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Wards and Tiers

Wards interest me as a first life but are a little vague as to how they work with with tier packages. For instance, lets say I had the Baron tier and wanted to start as a ward. How exactly would that work? Would a 15 year old be running the town and start with the things from his tier? How would the story be developed to explain how an unestablished orphan became mayor at such a young age?

1/15/2017 3:25:52 PM #1

For the titled tiers you'd be stuck using NTCs for the expo period/KoE pre-game.

Since your right to rule comes from your family I'd doubt you could be both a ward and have a title (unless you work up to it)

Coming Soon(tm)

1/15/2017 5:52:33 PM #2

What if you didn't have a title but had Ursaphant Tier instead? Would you be the city's richest orphan? How exactly would that work?

1/15/2017 6:02:27 PM #3

Posted By TheWhiteMask at 11:52 AM - Sun Jan 15 2017

What if you didn't have a title but had Ursaphant Tier instead? Would you be the city's richest orphan? How exactly would that work?

In game items/pets and mounts will appear as a token that must be used prior to the end of exposition.

As long as you don't have a title they should appear in your inventory regardless of how you start out.

Keep in mind without a family you likely won't own a home (unless you buy one with EP) so storage for all your items may be difficult if you claim them all at the same time on day 1.

1/20/2017 8:52:13 AM #4

Wards don't appear to be a good idea unless you want to go and adventure on your own, or want to aspire a career in a merit-based organisation. Given the huge importance of families, especially for nobles, the penalty is pretty steep. I suspect most wards will be alt accounts of the nobility, with a few adventurers who wanted a custom character.

Alt text

1/26/2017 1:12:20 AM #5

Posted By CalligoMiles at 02:52 AM - Fri Jan 20 2017

Wards don't appear to be a good idea unless you want to go and adventure on your own, or want to aspire a career in a merit-based organisation. Given the huge importance of families, especially for nobles, the penalty is pretty steep. I suspect most wards will be alt accounts of the nobility, with a few adventurers who wanted a custom character.

The thing is, I can easily start as a ward and before the end of exposition have a wife. You would then have a family and started off as a ward. I don't think a ward would be possible for someone with nobility, but you could have a family.

With the younger character there is potential to grow your skills quicker, but you'd also have to sacrifice time to get a home and woo a woman/man. Those kind of even things out, but then the ward gets the benefit of no one knowing him before. There is no history between a ward character and NPCs in the world that I'm aware of. Contrary to the ward, NTCs would have a history with NPCs in the world and could know you based on past encounters (before you got the character).

Maybe now you can see why being a ward might be enticing to some. You could come into the world and always pretend to be someone you're not and no one would be the wiser, unless they had the bardic skills to deduce otherwise. You'd be a ghost character. "Catch Me If You Can" anyone?

1/27/2017 9:20:32 AM #6

There's more than NTCs and Wards. NTCs exclusively refers to characters that are taken over by players at a later age. If you take over a child to any family, you get all of the benefits above while you won't have much of a reputation yet. Maybe people will recognize your last name, but that's about it. As such, this is pretty much the 'mainstream' choice.

Taking a Ward is pretty much picking a higher difficulty level in exchange for some customisation options, as the additional time is only worth it if you find an organisation willing to provide you with the things that would otherwise be taken care of by your family. That said, I imagine there are numerous organisations willing to take you in in exchange for your loyalty and assistance.

Alt text