COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Corrupt Monarchs; What happens?

If a Monarch is corrupt and does things that impact poorly on the community, what would the community do?

I'm quite curious, as a friend of mine brought it up in conversation, about how someone who purchased, or rose to a role of high stature could cause issues.

Thank you.

• Garrik.

EVEN WHEN HE IS A GOOD MAN, THEY WANT TO EDGE HIM ASIDE

1/16/2017 2:06:30 AM #1

You stab them with a pointy stick.

On a serious note, all you need is enough people and sticks, as strange as that sounds. For if the king is "tyrannical" than any one of his dukes or maybe even rivals may capitalize on his poor behavior and depose of him. For than his own people will see this newcomer as their supposed "saviour" and support him with their sticks.

-MX.

Alt text - can be left blank

1/16/2017 2:08:49 AM #2

There are mechanics in place to allow both peaceful transitions of power and military coups.

Referral Code: 912EC9

1/16/2017 2:56:53 AM #3

Posted By Orisoll at 6:08 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

There are mechanics in place to allow both peaceful transitions of power and military coups.

I think those should be reserved for rightful rulers. If someone is morally corrupt and treating their citizenry badly I don't see anything wrong with mob justice..

1/16/2017 3:01:08 AM #4

Well they certainly won't be eating cake. Lots of ways of dealing with corrupt leaders.

1. Stab them until they're dead
  2. Off with his head
  3. Burn the heretic
  4. Viva la revolution
  5. Et tu, brute?
  6. Special ingredient in their food
  7. 'Accidentally' let an invading army slip in unnoticed.

1/16/2017 3:22:04 AM #5

Assuming hes got discord or voip with his dukes and counts etc, they'll probably chew him out and he'll either ignore them, and lose all his stuff, or listen and reconcile.

If hes catching flak from lower members they'll probably tow the line begrudgingly or leave for a better kingdom.

1/16/2017 6:25:47 AM #6

If you are in his guard then just leave the door to the manor open...

1/16/2017 8:19:13 PM #7

Posted By FateWeaver at 6:56 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

I think those should be reserved for rightful rulers. If someone is morally corrupt and treating their citizenry badly I don't see anything wrong with mob justice..

Killing the king/queen alone won't remove the player behind the screen from power. You need a CB for that. Mob justice will be a minor inconvenience for the said king/queen

1/16/2017 8:56:52 PM #8

Posted By BigKiwi at 3:19 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Killing the king/queen alone won't remove the player behind the screen from power. You need a CB for that. Mob justice will be a minor inconvenience for the said king/queen

Not so sure on that , of course you can as a player have multiple sparks and just jump back into your rich heritage as another family member , but if you were king and usurped from your throne by ways of murder I think someone else would have assumed the throne by the time you respawn !

1/16/2017 9:20:25 PM #9

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 1:56 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Not so sure on that , of course you can as a player have multiple sparks and just jump back into your rich heritage as another family member , but if you were king and usurped from your throne by ways of murder I think someone else would have assumed the throne by the time you respawn !

They would still need a CB to get the ring of rulership or whatever it is that acts as a contract between the king and country for him to act as the king.

However, if you murder both the king and all of his heirs and effectively snuff out his dynasty then he is SOL. (if his family is all NPCs because he's paranoid it'll be easier since NPCs permadie instead of spirit walk) If that happens then the player has no way of getting back into his dynasty to retake the throne no matter how many story points he has.

If you do that then the mantle of king would pass to one of the duke, presumably whichever is most famous or riches. And it would likely be challenged by other dukes potentially causing a civil war.

(Paranoid kings might want to have lots of children so that they always have some that are too young to be killed if there is some form of purge, that way they can claim that child when they come of age.)

1/16/2017 9:22:13 PM #10

I would think a rebellion lower than the Duchy level would need to be quite large before it spills over to the King or Queen.

You would think that the Dukes would have done something before that, as their lives are directly impacted by the lower nobility and citizens being unhappy enough to rise up.

1/16/2017 9:26:33 PM #11

Corruption is subjective in a sense...

Because there is one thing when one is being tyrannical to thine enemies and those outside of their circle, while also being good to their family and those loyal, opposed to being a flat out dick or bad ruler that hides inside the castle like the King of Cambodia, afraid of his food being poisoned and despised even by those who pledged to him.

• If one is good to his/her own people and corrupt against everyone else, I don't see this as tyrannical but independent...and his or her people will more than likely back the monarch in everything; especially if everyone in their culture is eating.

• Thus if one is a straight infantile monarch with no understanding or effort put in to make the kingdom function healthily, I don't see it sustaining itself long. Truthfully, I don't think there is anyone who wants to lose their investment this way. If one did it would be interesting, but I don't see it happening.

1/16/2017 11:32:43 PM #12

Posted By BigKiwi at 9:19 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Actually it kinda will as things stand atm. You'll need story points to take over an heir if you're playing nobility (and the higher rank the more story points) so unless the king got enough story points to take over his heir, he won't come back. Cheshireone also suggested something good too, just murder his heir and problem solved. The times we've seen people removing leaders they've gone for the family (Although even the heir might not be able to rule efficiently see second quote.

Posted By Cheshireone at 10:20 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

Posted By Grapefruitkush at 1:56 PM - Mon Jan 16 2017

They would still need a CB to get the ring of rulership or whatever it is that acts as a contract between the king and country for him to act as the king.

However, if you murder both the king and all of his heirs and effectively snuff out his dynasty then he is SOL. (if his family is all NPCs because he's paranoid it'll be easier since NPCs permadie instead of spirit walk) If that happens then the player has no way of getting back into his dynasty to retake the throne no matter how many story points he has.

If you do that then the mantle of king would pass to one of the duke, presumably whichever is most famous or riches. And it would likely be challenged by other dukes potentially causing a civil war.

(Paranoid kings might want to have lots of children so that they always have some that are too young to be killed if there is some form of purge, that way they can claim that child when they come of age.)

"presumably whichever is most famous or riches."

To claim a Noble Title, you have to have a Casus Belli. There are three ways you can go about getting a Casus Belli: Favor, Fame, and Wealth. Note: the last two only apply to non-Nobles. Once you become a noble, only favor can be used.

Fame and riches only apply if you're trying to gain a CB against the aristocracy (baron/mayor) nobles (counts, dukes and kings) can only be gained through favor. (though fame and riches might help "paying" for support "favor" so other dukes will support you for the throne)

And then there's a very important thing that people forget: Just because you're the "Prince" or "Heir" to the kingdom doesn't make it so you'll automatically be it.

" Q:

“Will gossip be a social fighting mechanic? So will gossip take down rulers, or influence the downfall or rise of others etc.”

A:

Yes, that gets a little bit into the Dance of Dynasties stuff. We talked about this before where you have implicit contracts that are bound to items. There is the signet ring of the king, if somebody were to get that signet ring from the king, they could put it on and in theory they would be bound by the contract, but the way that these items work is their prerequisites to them, so any Joe Schmo cannot pick them up, I apologies if there is any actually Joe Schmo listening is like “hey that’s rude”, but if you were to put one of these rings on, it doesn’t automatically make you the king. The ring knows that you haven’t earned the respect and loyalty of the population yet so it doesn’t grant you the ability to be the king.

That makes it so that dukes or princes of the king are far more likely to benefit from one of these rings. So while they might hire somebody to bring them a ring, there’s really no real incentive for the assassin to keep the ring, they cannot do anything with it.

So that plays into the question they were asking, so yeah, this is one of the mechanisms that people can use to gain recognition to gain fame, smear the reputation of others in order to control that influence system. To make sure that if the eldest child of the king were to somehow come in contact with the ring, maybe it wouldn’t listen to them. Maybe they don’t have as much reputation or popularity as the second oldest child in the family, that sort of thing."

Link

So if you're a young heir you might not have gained any reputation at all, so the ring might not respond to you giving you a somewhat huge disadvantage.

Also if the king is being a tyrant, then just stop paying taxes and interrupt when the dukes/counts etc. try to transport taxes to the king, money have always been the best way of hitting someone hard, and he won't be able to maintain a lot of his stuff if he's basically penniless (he might have a treasury, but keep at it long enough and you'll see)

1/17/2017 4:21:13 AM #13

Posted By Lech at 9:06 PM - Sun Jan 15 2017

You stab them with a pointy stick.

I prefer beating them with a stick in their sleep!

1/17/2017 8:29:58 AM #14

Keep in mind that it will likely be somewhat difficult for a king to get enough story points to inhabit his heir. They would also need to be very careful about what they do since a death would take off a couple months from their life span.

If a king is very corrupt than their are likely a lot of people willing to kill him. If he gets killed back to back over a short amount of time then he wont have the chance to get story points.

1/17/2017 9:35:15 AM #15

Posted By Steevo at 09:29 AM - Tue Jan 17 2017

Keep in mind that it will likely be somewhat difficult for a king to get enough story points to inhabit his heir. They would also need to be very careful about what they do since a death would take off a couple months from their life span.

If a king is very corrupt than their are likely a lot of people willing to kill him. If he gets killed back to back over a short amount of time then he wont have the chance to get story points.

Basically this.

Additionally if he gets killed over and over it is possible for him to lose his life in 1 RL day.

Since he needs his story points to buy back his rank he can't use it for Sparks. So it might get expensive really fast, or after 2-3 times has no story points left (since I doubt he will earn story points fast enough).

So it is not like you can't do something about 1 king being corrupt. Now, if the whole nobility is corrupt it is a different story. It is probably best to pack up and move to another kingdom at that point.