COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Intelligent weapons?

has anyone given any thought to devising a way to put someone's spark into weapons, With the ability to create phylacteries, I don't see this not being theoretically possible, It would be pretty awesome right? Might not give much bonus to the weapon other then it spouting catch phases randomly. just a thought

1/19/2017 3:29:07 AM #1

Only the Lich (if there is one) will be able to plant his soul into something foreign. That is what makes him immortal. It's kind of like

"What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" -Paarthurnax

1/19/2017 4:48:31 AM #2

Excalibur! I call upon your power!

Ahhhkkkkk? Polly wanna cracker!

Useless sword?!

1/19/2017 5:30:35 AM #3

Posted By Perry Falco at 10:48 PM - Wed Jan 18 2017

Excalibur! I call upon your power!

Ahhhkkkkk? Polly wanna cracker!

Useless sword?!

souleater?

1/19/2017 6:14:47 AM #4

Many [normally] inanimate objects like trees, rocks, rivers , etc may have spirits of their own. If a metal rock with a spirit is shaped into a sword it will be an intelligent sword. A large enough rock could possibly be turned into an intelligent mobile statue.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

1/19/2017 6:55:05 AM #5

Intelligent weapons are something, that not should be a normal thing. It may be something to make a story around. A forgotten Relict, which was recovered by a brave adventurer. Awakened trough magic, demons or something else, a trapped soul in his weapon who seeks revenge. Probaly not the best weapon, but you have everytime someone by your side. It can become really funny if the rightful good Paladin of your group finds out that his intelligent sword is not someone, who seeks to kill all criminals, but instead is a member of a mafia like organisation who wants to kill all "bad" criminals. A nice idea for beeing part of a story, but in my opinion I don't want that the swords of my city to talk with each other while the players are silence. "Hey Bob, I slained a Melonturtle today!" "Really?! Owner, let's kill the owner of this sword!!"

11/25/2017 11:58:22 PM #6

It would be interesting for sure, similar to how in WoW the arcane mage and shadow priest legendaries give commentaries after you perform certain acts or visit specific locations.

Like if you coup de grace a player with a bloodthirsty dagger it may whisper: "not enough, never enough." or if you visit a location with a witty staff it could say "A Qin fell here long ago, well technically I killed him, but semantics."

11/26/2017 2:36:06 AM #7

I don't think that a 'spark (of life)' will be possible to implement into a weapon, a SoL is just based for a character soul, and the spark itself costs around £20-30, so paying that much just to add it into a single weapon for a little buff is stupid in my opinion.

Every weapon will break, even legendary quality, the better quality the longer the durability, that's all, can repair, but cant endlessly, it will break. So spending £20-30 on a single item (if even possible) is a waste of money, the game will end up in a pay to win. so they wont do it.

11/26/2017 3:03:11 AM #8

Actually Dojigger, ive seen the devs say that artifacts wont break, because they are integral to the story (IE magic items don't break) so they are the only thing that will be free from that rule. and if there were an intelligent sword or something, i think that would qualify.

(dun remember where i heard this but they were talking about the issue of artifacts which is basically in character speak for important story items, need to be exempt to the whole breaks down over time thing because it might just erode naturally without ever being found. which will happen to normal items of any quality over time, like a sword rusting over the years until its useless,)

11/26/2017 4:17:20 PM #9

thats alot of work for essentially something that will be a unique experience for one player. In terms of practicality, such an artifact wouldnt be worth SBS's time to code. Maybe on a whim of Caspian himself, but otherwise most coders want to make a system that creates uniquely individual events rather than create the events themselves. Theres alot of people out there, and only so much time.

11/26/2017 9:31:02 PM #10

Posted By MatrimCauthon at 11:17 AM - Sun Nov 26 2017

thats alot of work for essentially something that will be a unique experience for one player. In terms of practicality, such an artifact wouldnt be worth SBS's time to code. Maybe on a whim of Caspian himself, but otherwise most coders want to make a system that creates uniquely individual events rather than create the events themselves. Theres alot of people out there, and only so much time.

to be honest after the game systems are made, i think that sort of stuff will be taking up a lot of SBS's time, making unique story and plot devices to throw into the world according to their 10 year story plan on what exists within the world waiting to be discovered.

most people wont be directly involved with the big historical moments, and we already know that there will be unique magical artifacts, (as for a intelligent weapon specifically, yes probably not, i mean if were talking about a talking sword or something here, i would bet money thats unlikely in the extreme, as the only way to make that work would be to throw in one of those advanced chat bots meant to try and pass the turing test, which wouldn't be ideal and would be an expensive software purchase for one single in game item or to just have it set to say things at specific triggers, which seems too low quality for COE to me, and lame)

however magic artifacts will tie heavily into the games story, i know there is a pledge tier that lets you be guaranteed to have one, though thats probably sold out or something. of course these objects would function as you say matrim, their mere existence would cause Unique events just because of what players would do trying to figure out what they are and how they work (considering the dev's have said they aren't going to be told what the items actually do and how to use them) and the consequences thereof.