COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What to do and When? Finding the Right Job

The purpose of this is for me to organize and share my brain storming. With no doubt it will generate job ideas and hype for the game. This will be an on-going thought of which jobs should be ripe for the picking during the start, middle, and late game. They will be ordered in risk, from top to bottom, categorized as Low, Moderate, and High.

Note: I didn't want to make a list, because that felt REALLY limiting. I wanted to categorize some fields and picture when certain fields would be best at a time. Beginning being just after launch, middle being after 6 months, and late being after a year or two. Thanks for all the feedback so fast!

I will work on this in my spare time.

The Beginning

Low-Risk

Farming | Most players would likely turn their backs to this task, for how boring it may seem. But out of this low supply, there must be a high demand. Likely, kingdoms would outsource this to NPCs, but a player with some basic business know-how could easily make well over twice the profit the NPCs do. This doesn't always apply to crops, but botany as well; more on that later.

Crafting | Such as smithing, architecture, brewing, or anything man-made. This field of work is likely filled by those wanting to start a name for themselves by supplying armies, or working their way to quality goods (Light-durable horseshoes, really nice metal doors or anything). But most crafting tasks will reach a slow with not enough research, so I urge some of you to become researchers instead, for now anyway.

Research | Containing things such as botany, chemistry, physics, or anything science. This will be the second most useful task for the early-game, the first being exploration; more on that later. Without research, farms will have a low area:yield ratio and armor will be like a cheap plastic.

Moderate-Risk

Gathering | Going out into the woods for hunting, lumbering, or mining doesn't sound bad, but has more risk than farming or city-dwelling. Anything can attack you, from bandits to bears (and we all know there is more than just 'a bear'). However, more risk, more reward.

Inn-keeping | Or anything business related. Not a 'fear for your life risk' but more of a lack of certainty. I haven't read any news on in-game government or the sorts, so I would feel more comfortable letting the NPCs take over. If you don't have a generous knowledge of business and aptitude for it, then this may not be the job for you.

Fighting | It may sound comparably dangerous to the last point, but it isn't anything to be feared (so much as your lawful with it). Be a guard or fight for the king, if you master this now, you'll be unstoppable later. With so many players already wanting to pick up this job, you'll be fine in the army.

High-Risk (Here is where it gets interesting)

Exploration | Kings need to know where a good location is, miners need to know where a good location is, city-builders need to know where a good location is, bandits... need a hideout. Everyone is dependent on exploration and NPCs won't cut it. Be careful, because there will be bears, and wolves, and so much else in the uncharted lands. You might need a personal guard...

Cahmpioning | For caravans and explorers and kings, they all need to be personally guarded. Without a doubt, you will find yourself in a hairy situation (especially if you do it right).

Illegitimacy-ing | You're down for anything illegal. Smuggling, highway-ing, espionage-ing, assassinating, anything illegal.

1/19/2017 4:52:02 AM #1

Weaponsmith

/end thread

1/19/2017 7:04:57 AM #2

All jobs that exist in the era we start have to be available. Because Afaik we can take over every npc.

But if we proceed into future eras more jobs of different kinds must become available. Everything that has to do with big ships for example.

1/19/2017 8:33:30 AM #3

EDIT: sorted the list so people have an easier time figuring out which ones I missed.

Adventurer

Alchemist

Architect

Assassin

Blacksmith

Boat builder

Boatmen

Bodyguard

Bootmaker

Bounty Hunter

Breeder

Butcher (?)

Carpenter

Cartographs

Detective (?)

Farmer

Fisher

Forester

Glassblower

Guard

Herbalist

Hunter

Lawyers (depends on the court system)

Locksmith

Miner

Ruler (the various forms)

Shop owner

Soldier

Tailor

Tamer

Tanner

Teacher

Tinkerer

Trader

Travel Guide/Navigator

Travelling Merchant

Wagon builder

War-machine builder

Woodcutter

"Jobs":

Bandit

Thief

Burglar

Cut-throat

Raider

Just the basic ones which came to my mind right now probably missed a few obvious ones though some of them could probably be done by 1 person at the same time. You do the rating thing.

1/19/2017 9:41:10 AM #4

I can't help but be very excited, the jobs seem plentiful and i wanna see how they will make them interesting so they attract players ^^

1/19/2017 10:50:52 AM #5

i also want to see how they work to attract npcs lol i feel there will be a lot more reliabilty in NPC workers then PC workers... dont ask me why but yes...

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/19/2017 11:22:46 AM #6

weed man

thats gonna be an important one

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

1/19/2017 11:22:58 AM #7

@mandrake1980 i have read that human characters will have automated functions when the player is offline, sort of like a script of "go to work , do this , do that" so there wont be much difference there , unless the human player is slacking on his job while online :P

1/19/2017 11:27:28 AM #8

Well, just to be clear.

Quite a few of the jobs on my list are some that players make themselves rather than having a "profession" in a skill sense.

Although some of those jobs would probably include "professions".

1/19/2017 12:24:42 PM #9

You should also add where to your question, What to do, when and where ?

Because depending on the availability of ressources, the developpment of the area, its connexions to the rest of the continent, the state of the power that rule over the place, all those factors will have a big impact on what to do.

then we will need deeper knowledge on how skills work and interact, how you level them and what can be achieved with what skill mastery.

An exemple, architects, they are needed to draw blueprints for buildings and to supervise the construction of them. Ok,but do a building shematic is needed for every single building ? if i want to build a crude wooden shak in the woods, do i need an architect ? or can i and any body draw that kind of building blueprints, or yes as soon as i get basic knowledge of architectur ei can do so, but how to get that basic knowledge, do i need a teacher, a book, to be an aprentice or just study an existing building ???

Depending on how easy it will be for any one to get basic knowledge of skills and what you can do with that basic level, we will be able to see how many customer a profession need to be viable and as such where do it.

Then will come the question of what NPCs can do and can they assume the full charge of some community needs. If yes even to some extent then those jobs and occupations will be less attractive or sustainable for PCs.

1/19/2017 4:19:09 PM #10

Posted By Atogrim at 01:04 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

All jobs that exist in the era we start have to be available. Because Afaik we can take over every npc.

But if we proceed into future eras more jobs of different kinds must become available. Everything that has to do with big ships for example.

Very much what I'm going for. I've only done the beginning stage of the game and even then I'm not convinced I've finished. I had a thought about how jobs would move in importance from early to middle game, especially with farming.

1/19/2017 4:30:19 PM #11

Posted By markof at 06:24 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

You should also add where to your question, What to do, when and where ?

Because depending on the availability of ressources, the developpment of the area, its connexions to the rest of the continent, the state of the power that rule over the place, all those factors will have a big impact on what to do.

then we will need deeper knowledge on how skills work and interact, how you level them and what can be achieved with what skill mastery.

An exemple, architects, they are needed to draw blueprints for buildings and to supervise the construction of them. Ok,but do a building shematic is needed for every single building ? if i want to build a crude wooden shak in the woods, do i need an architect ? or can i and any body draw that kind of building blueprints, or yes as soon as i get basic knowledge of architectur ei can do so, but how to get that basic knowledge, do i need a teacher, a book, to be an aprentice or just study an existing building ???

Depending on how easy it will be for any one to get basic knowledge of skills and what you can do with that basic level, we will be able to see how many customer a profession need to be viable and as such where do it.

Then will come the question of what NPCs can do and can they assume the full charge of some community needs. If yes even to some extent then those jobs and occupations will be less attractive or sustainable for PCs.

As far as your concern for where, I believe that should be the player's choice. I don't think it will be like Archeage where you need proficiency in a skill to use it for something minor (ie wood shack). This categorization is more for main purpose profit. If the shack was used to store logs from lumbering, you may want an architect to build a wood cutting platform and while at it, upgrade to "premium mahogany wood shack of the ancients."

As far as NPCs and PCs, yes, NPCs will be doing the job, but it won't be a quality job. The PC could probably become proficient and do better than the NPC counterpart.

1/19/2017 5:02:58 PM #12

I think it's too early to make a post like this..We don't know how any of the mechanics work..We don't know how easy it will be just to pick up and craft or how easy/hard combat will be. This list could also vary where you start out and family you live in.

1/19/2017 5:06:29 PM #13

Assassin/ locksmith sounds fun :)

On a different note you don't know what you need to do to unlock a magic/talent skill. You might start out as a Assassin for 6 months then try your hand at farming end mastering farming and unlock a magic skill that double your yield on all crops. From what I take that your not going to pick one job and keep it for a year you have freedom to chose.

1/19/2017 6:15:48 PM #14

Edit: Wrong thread

I created a spreadsheet early last year with all the confirmed jobs/professions/crafts listed in the wiki: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N5LIRs6jeOSerqLtU3riBqqE3tNRx8KWhC247H9H0/edit

Original post may be of some use to this thread however... It's pretty similar to the other one since one of the posters just moved their reply to its own thread. :)