COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
A request for SBS

Yes this had been brought up before and at the time I was like "meh.. not important." But things are changing.. Now that you are releasing more content, it's easier to pitch to friends about the game. The one thing I'm running into is the changes made from the original dev journal. Where I do understand not going back to edit them what I don't understand is why is there not a reference guide that is being maintained on the current status of mechanics? Please for the love of god, and bringing in more backers and players, give us something where we can easily reference CURRENT mechanics for the game.

Friend code: 172B2A

1/19/2017 12:47:36 PM #1

Yes the current game guide and FAQ on the site are both woefully out of date often to the point of being misleading.

Of the seven categories covered in the game guide only two appear to contain the correct information (contracts and land management) all the others are out of date. Either smaller thing like suggesting talents are still linked to souls, or that guilds can patent an item to major changes such as NTCs can be used outside exposition and your heir will be in the world and at risk from attack.

The other issue is that where things have changed since the Developers Journal and there is no information about it at all. For example is there still a scholarship skill in this game or is teaching solely based on the skill you are trying to teach? I remember conversations about it being removed but can find nothing official and now there are communities investing time in building organisations based on a feature that may or may not have been removed 10 months ago.

The FAQ also needs a look through. It mentions skill atrophy on death, is not clear about the current confirmed servers, mentions Influence Points a lot, and confirms the game will not launch in 2015!

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/19/2017 12:48:05 PM #2

Wiki is your best bet

1/19/2017 12:52:44 PM #3

The wiki is not the first impression people are getting about this game. This directly impacts SBS marketing, if you read the FAQ you are not directed to the store if you want to support the game you are directed to an investor page which I do not believe still exists.

It is very off putting when that is people's first experience of learning about the game from the studio making it.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

1/19/2017 12:53:01 PM #4

wiki is not owned by sbs right?

i would think they'd make it easy on themselves by making a log of current ideas and up-to-date mechanics

while you're at it, could SbS show us some more trailers of the contract mechanics and the opc at work? plz and ty

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

1/19/2017 2:09:29 PM #5

I always thought that gameplay and overview was meant to be updated when it's being worked on. Then they add new things to do it. Easier than going through the DJs for info.

1/19/2017 2:54:33 PM #6

The wiki is ran by volunteers.. That requires them to A: know about the changes and B: have time to make them.

Friend code: 172B2A

1/19/2017 3:35:01 PM #7

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. This is something we're aware of, and is one of the things Vye and I frequently discuss internally.

We do a great job being transparent with the players about the state of development, our planned features and mechanics, and even what's currently being worked on, what's done, etc.

This is all typically communicated via our weekly developer updates.

The problem is while those are great at keeping our current player-base informed about our progress - those that read the bi-weekly updates, those that are just coming to the website for the first time don't have a central place to find all the latest information in one location.

As I said, it's something we're aware of, it's something we plan to remedy with an updated game guide section in the not-too-distant future, but it's not the highest priority right now.

In my update at the end of last year I stated our focus right now is on internal development, not on outward communication. This is a key example.

While we know it would help with recruitment and educating new players, the same people who would be writing the game guides, developing the website functionality, etc., are the same people who need to be nailing down the different mechanics of the Tribes, Settlements, and other features right now.

So for the time being, having a way to communicate the current state of the game design is less important than making forward progress on the game design itself.

But you have my word, as soon as we can spare the time to get that section of the website updated we will. In the mean time, we will continue to use our bi-weekly updates, our Q&As, and these forums as a way to communicate information to our "regulars", and will trust you guys to educate others and to keep the Wiki updated in the meantime.

Is it ideal? No. But it's necessary for the time being. And, we're fortunate you guys do such a great job at educating others, allowing us to take the time we need to make progress.

Thanks!
Caspian

1/19/2017 4:24:03 PM #8

Posted By Caspian at 09:35 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback. This is something we're aware of, and is one of the things Vye and I frequently discuss internally.

We do a great job being transparent with the players about the state of development, our planned features and mechanics, and even what's currently being worked on, what's done, etc.

The problem is while those are great at keeping our current player-base informed about our progress - those that read the bi-weekly updates, those that are just coming to the website for the first time don't have a central place to find all the latest information in one location.

As I said, it's something we're aware of, it's something we plan to remedy with an updated game guide section in the not-too-distant future, but it's not the highest priority right now.

In my update at the end of last year I stated our focus right now is on internal development, not on outward communication. This is a key example.

While we know it would help with recruitment and educating new players, the same people who would be writing the game guides, developing the website functionality, etc., are the same people who need to be nailing down the different mechanics of the Tribes, Settlements, and other features right now.

So for the time being, having a way to communicate the current state of the game design is less important than making forward progress on the game design itself.

But you have my word, as soon as we can spare the time to get that section of the website updated we will. In the mean time, we will continue to use our bi-weekly updates, our Q&As, and these forums as a way to communicate information to our 'regulars', and will trust you guys to educate others and to keep the Wiki updated in the meantime.

Is it ideal? No. But it's necessary for the time being. And, we're fortunate you guys do such a great job at educating others, allowing us to take the time we need to make progress.

Thanks!
Caspian

Would it be feasible to have a possible volunteer team of non employees compile a current FAQ and address the key errors in the journals by using available resources and Q&A 's to help you out with the minor webfeed stuff?

1/19/2017 5:06:29 PM #9

Posted By Mordakai at 11:24 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Posted By Caspian at 09:35 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Hey Folks,

But you have my word, as soon as we can spare the time to get that section of the website updated we will. In the mean time, we will continue to use our bi-weekly updates, our Q&As, and these forums as a way to communicate information to our 'regulars', and will trust you guys to educate others and to keep the Wiki updated in the meantime.

Thanks!
Caspian

Would it be feasible to have a possible volunteer team of non employees compile a current FAQ and address the key errors in the journals by using available resources and Q&A 's to help you out with the minor webfeed stuff?

I'm sure if a volunteer team of non employees actually does that and publishes it, SBS might be inclined to put their stamp of approval on it if the quality is there.

1/19/2017 5:14:00 PM #10

This is precisely what the Wiki is.

1/19/2017 5:29:07 PM #11

The community within The Duchy of Bloodoak is working on something that we hope we will be able to roll out to the CoE community in about 2 weeks

stay tuned for further developments :)

1/19/2017 5:45:41 PM #12

Posted By Caspian at 09:14 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Indeed.

The FAQs on the wiki, though not perfect, have definitely been updated a bunch since we copied them over from the official site. We've made attempts to reorganize them, and those efforts continue. Anyone else who wants to take a whack at it would be very welcome.

All other content likewise. :)

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

1/19/2017 5:48:13 PM #13

i did a write up for what i knew about the game merchanics to help intrest players from The older gamers a online community of about 30k players but sadly i cant explain the game as well as some so i try to throw in utube links to help explain some of the more key features. the trouble is yes not alot of the vids are resent and have older infomation.

probly making a hack of it but i feel it will still gather a few players across eventualy

here it is if you want to take a read and use it for refrences for new players not that it is the best just that it covers alot of the key features that should intrest new players.

http://www.theoldergamers.com/mmorpg-games-the-realms/647053-coe-game-within-game.html

but truly i only learned about this game in the last 7 days so will try and redo this post latter when i get more info :)

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/19/2017 9:22:19 PM #14

I attempted to recruit friends and others that we currently game with. The interest was initially high but their brief reading resulted in many out of date quotes like having an in game cash store (pay to win). I spent time putting out fires and trying to correct all of the uninformed negative posts. By that point people had already formed an opinion and moved on.

I feel bad for them. They are going to miss the thrill of being there at the start of what will be the largest online game in history!

1/19/2017 10:15:26 PM #15

Posted By Caspian at 09:14 AM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Sure, so it would be a pretty simple matter to replace the FAQ with a link to the wiki.