COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
best routes to scientific advancement?

Hints from the devs have suggested that, in the long term, Elyria is likely to progress scientifically and gain access to new levels of technology.

This is spoiler-y (in one video Miguel mentioned trains and Jeremy quickly shushed him) so of course there can't be a lot of detailed info about it.

But, is there concrete info on how, in principle, scientific advance will happen? I'm a little worried that there may be specific skills you're going to want to invest in in order to be on the bleeding edge of tech advances.

For example, my character concept is an explorer/herbalist: he's going to jet about the world discovering poisonous and/or medicinal plants, bring them home and cultivate stronger varieties (my idea is that my first character will primarily explore and his heir will primarily develop and experiment with the plants he's discovered).

But, if trains are the way science is headed in the end, is my aspiring biologist going to be left in the dust as technology passes him by? I'm worried that I may need to guess right as to the skills that will be more important as generations pass.

Or is this just the sort of thing that can be determined by exposition points prior to release?

1/19/2017 7:11:06 PM #1

Honestly, I don't think they're that sure of the route they want it to take yet. Trains have been mentioned as one considered route was to take it through to a steampunk-esque era but at the same time, that is a lot of work they have to do and they don't want to make too many promises at this point.

I think the research is mostly expected to be in crafting as that is where new things can be produced. So, the plants themselves may not get much research - though fertilisation, irrigation, etc. may be researchable too - but advancing the production of medicinal salves/potions/whatever is probably the more significant research aspect of what you want.

That which we do not know, we should seek to know. Once we know it, we should practice it.

1/19/2017 8:25:19 PM #2

Wouldn't a herbalist discover anti-biotics and cures for new diseases? that sounds like good enough advancement.

1/19/2017 8:33:26 PM #3

I would not worry about that. IF they introduce trains I imagine it won't be for years after release.

Your exploration and studies will have paid off way before then. And even after has been discovered, and cities are well established and if they introduce trains and they start being built.

Medicine will still be a way to heal people. Poisons would still be a way to kill people.

Caution: If someone tries to heal you via train you might want to run

1/19/2017 9:05:42 PM #4

Posted By SoulSpark at 12:25 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Wouldn't a herbalist discover anti-biotics and cures for new diseases? that sounds like good enough advancement.

Is it confirmed that there's disease in the game?

I've been thinking more in terms of conventional RPG herbalism -- healing salves, "buffs" and so on. But finding the cure to a plague would be pretty cool.

1/19/2017 9:09:43 PM #5

There is a saying, " Necessity is the mother of invention. " I'm sure based on the various obstacles thrown up by the story engine will cause an opportunity for creativity. Not only that but location and environment will also dictate the path of intellectual advancement.

1/20/2017 12:27:06 AM #6

Posted By Hexprone at 1:05 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Posted By SoulSpark at 12:25 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

Is it confirmed that there's disease in the game?

I've been thinking more in terms of conventional RPG herbalism -- healing salves, "buffs" and so on. But finding the cure to a plague would be pretty cool.

There will be illnesses and sickness in the game so medicine will be important as well as cures for poisons. I know there are atleast a dozen or so people in the past few months that have expressed interest in researching medicines and poisons, so you'll be in good company

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

1/20/2017 12:47:48 AM #7

I don't think that we know enough on the subject to even begin to hypothesize on what we could do.

1/20/2017 1:00:14 AM #8

if we look at science and its progress in poisons and remedies. many come about and many disappear, but there are still poisons that we know of that aren't curable simply because they work to fast or have symptoms that aren't related to poisons and are very hard to detect without high-tech equipment and methods. I believe Industry will grow quickly tech-wise, but each region will be unique in the remedies they have for disease and poisons etc. How deep SBS goes into each category of their game is up to them. I hope they go into as much detail into everything they want to by the time of launch and adding new tech ,info, methods, and discoveries as the game goes on.

1/20/2017 1:23:45 AM #9

Trains were well into existence before the first antibiotic

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/20/2017 10:36:42 PM #10

They've said the furthest they'll go is possibly to the early ages of guns/rifles (very early) but don't plan (or want) to go that far. I haven't heard trains but I know they've worked on gliders and such and kinda want to go a little steampunk.

1/21/2017 1:13:09 AM #11

They probably won't go to the point where older weapons are useless since sword fighting will be a core game mechanic and it would be pretty lame if the new guns were as OP as they were in reality. But who knows, that would be like 7 or 8 years into the game so they could change their minds.

1/22/2017 1:27:33 AM #12

The only reason why they considered going into guns is because of the community (minority) asking for it, but it's something that'll probably never happen since the team don't want that sort of tech anyways.