COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Can I just be on my own?

I see many posts about noble families and kings etc.. Is this a game mechanic that I have to obey or can I be whatever I want, like a bastard who lives in the forest alone and not interested in politics of the world?

1/20/2017 1:22:11 AM #1

Yes that is a perfectly valid playstyle. We will need loners and those interested in just running their own businesses, or we will have a very empty world. You may still be subject to taxes and you may have to buy land, if you plan on building things, but only if folks know youre there.

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/20/2017 1:23:59 AM #2

You can, but you will still technically be in someones land.

Just don't piss off the local noble, or find one who is happy to let you do your own thing.

AQBanner

1/20/2017 1:30:29 AM #3

You can but you will still be subject to the local count/Duke/kings laws.

Meaning you can live out on your own but if you build a house without buying the land from the count someone may just come by and knock it down. If you kill someone the local Baron may send out a posse to arrest you.

Stay off the radar and like was said above don't rock the boat and you could be just fine.

Until a deviant player finds you...

Coe is designed for players to play together not solo. You can always try it but it will be considerably harder than working with others.

1/20/2017 2:16:42 AM #4

You can certainly do that. You could join a guild of archers if you want, maybe you'll teach each other survival skills and sht. If you want to be alone you can do that.

1/20/2017 2:20:41 AM #5

Yes you can, you can start as a Ward without any family ties or just be part of a family that has nothing to do with the outside world till you can leave home and start your own adventure.

However CoE is not like other games where a single character can do everything, you will need others at some point. You will need food and drink, or a weapon upgrade, a mount, or just information about the local area. Where you can live a solo life which I am sure some will strive to do, you will need to visit town every so often or interact with others eventually.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/20/2017 2:26:03 AM #6

I know I want to RP a ward of the state that was abandoned by her family so that she is bitter and resentful, shuns human contact and would rather be alone and live as far away as possible from others, kind of like some wild, survival, medicine woman adventurer that will just have animal friends as companions. I don't want to live in a town or have anyone rule over me.

I want to live in a forest or a cave or be a nomad and not settle in any place. There's probably a few people that want to play that way also. It will probably be hard and challenging, but to me just staying in one town, in the same house is boring to me, even though I know it's safer and you have protection of others.

1/20/2017 2:37:19 AM #7

well that is great then, I think I just want to discover the world they created as much as possible, and do whatever I want during the journey, including not respecting the laws of the land that I am walking on, or starting outrage out of nowhere just for fun and dealing with consequences.

1/20/2017 3:03:46 AM #8

Posted By Volin at 8:37 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

well that is great then, I think I just want to discover the world they created as much as possible, and do whatever I want during the journey, including not respecting the laws of the land that I am walking on, or starting outrage out of nowhere just for fun and dealing with consequences.

So while not respecting the law you get run down by a sherrif. And since you have no home to store things in when they take your weapons and mount and coin as penalty and send you back into the world you just starve repeatedly or hope you can steal enough food or find berries? Risky life stacked on top of the riskiest way of playing that style there.

1/20/2017 3:10:45 AM #9

"Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society."

Hehe. I plan on having at least one character just travel and see the world. Not settle. Just explore and see what I can see. Probably trade something from place to place to have coin for food, water, etc.

1/20/2017 3:19:09 AM #10

Posted By Kaynadin at 7:03 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

So while not respecting the law you get run down by a sherrif. And since you have no home to store things in when they take your weapons and mount and coin as penalty and send you back into the world you just starve repeatedly or hope you can steal enough food or find berries? Risky life stacked on top of the riskiest way of playing that style there.

Lions and crocodiles in the savanna pick off easy prey but its rare for them to fight each other. It is a high cost endeavor that does not justify its own risk, and so, for the most part. they keep to themselves as long as one does not overly provoke the other.

Its not about being big enough to repel an entire kingdom, its about being unjustifiably painful enough to deal with that no one wants to try.

1/20/2017 3:50:54 AM #11

Posted By Wolfaura at 9:26 PM - Thu Jan 19 2017

I know I want to RP a ward of the state that was abandoned by her family so that she is bitter and resentful, shuns human contact and would rather be alone and live as far away as possible from others, kind of like some wild, survival, medicine woman adventurer that will just have animal friends as companions. I don't want to live in a town or have anyone rule over me.

I want to live in a forest or a cave or be a nomad and not settle in any place. There's probably a few people that want to play that way also. It will probably be hard and challenging, but to me just staying in one town, in the same house is boring to me, even though I know it's safer and you have protection of others.

it might be possible with the survival skills but from what I know when you log out outside of a settlement you OPCs hunger goes up and you can starve if you don't log back on before you deplete your bag of food

so living that way can be really dangerous cause an OPC can't spirit walk so he just dies

1/20/2017 4:03:08 AM #12

Posted By Kaynadin at 05:03 AM - Fri Jan 20 2017

to take my weapons and mount and coins, first they should catch me, right? I mean as a part of the game, I should have a chance to defend myself? and if they catch me, they should defeat me, and yes, i am ready to take that risk, not so interested in steady progression. and I am not interested in disrespecting the law and making trouble as the main purpose, I just wanna do whatever I want,go where ever I want, and if along the way, someone tells me "you can not", then I would be happy to get aggressive. If I lose, I lose, not everyone is destined to become a legend.

1/20/2017 4:35:47 AM #13

You may be able to find lone taverns on the road to stay in when you log off. Still not the safest, but at least you wont starve.

Click banner to learn more. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

1/20/2017 5:03:45 AM #14

I promise you that the "waystation" kinda tavern will definitely exist... as the roads are long and the night is dark and full of terrors.

1/20/2017 8:14:37 PM #15

Why not accrue some resources before setting out?

The see how you do with survival and deviant skills. Becoming a very sneaky survivalist. I'm sure it'll be tedious but also rewarding since you'll get to experience the world ahead of others.