COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
How till Talent Trees Be Effected by a NPC Life

I had a random though and yes, before you even ask, yes it hurt...

If I start as a Ward and played 2 lifetimes and wanted to jump into a NPC family in my 3rd life, how will that effect my skills previously gained. And will I get the NPC skills automatically?

Example: Say I was a poor roadside bandit for 2 lifetimes and wanted to try a farmer in my 3rd lifetime and leave my past reputation behind. I just would assume a NPC at during Character Creation. How would the skills actually work exactly... Thanks...

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

1/31/2017 10:48:21 PM #1

From what I understand you chars have skills and your soul you use have skills (or just skill ramps). Some skills could line up but you might be better off switching to another soul you have.

1/31/2017 10:58:33 PM #2

Posted By randys22 at 5:48 PM - Tue Jan 31 2017

From what I understand you chars have skills and your soul you use have skills (or just skill ramps). Some skills could line up but you might be better off switching to another soul you have.

Yeah, pretty much. The souls you use(you have 3) will accumulate aggregate 'skill levels' relative to what your past characters have achieved. The skills don't carry over exactly, but new characters with that soul will advance faster in those skills you knew before. It also seems that over a few lifetimes, if you choose not to develop those particular skills, the ramping effect will diminish. So the relative ramping is independent of the family you are born into, but linked to your soul. If you want to play a completely different character style, it would probably be better to use a different soul, so as to not miss out on the skill ramping.

I think I am more excited for this game than I ever thought possible. This is probably going to ruin my life, and I am okay with that!

2/1/2017 12:45:29 AM #3

Basically, each lifetime will shorten the amount of time needed to gain and regain a certain skill level. As a bandit, you have a certain skillset, which you will have gained both from play and from the soul you use.

Souls are aligned to different skillsets too, so a soul at ease with banditry won't be the same as a soul attuned to farming.

Personally, I would advise an alt character if you wanted to try something new, since one lifetime is a whole year of play IRL and I would hate to lose that much time spent on a character.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

2/3/2017 7:17:57 PM #4

If you got money to burn, you could get sparks of life for all 3 souls, and use OPC to have 2 of your characters just spend all their time training skills, while you focus on playing the third one. Then by the time they are all dead you'll have 2 souls with a high skill ramp in two other professions to play around with.

2/3/2017 10:08:12 PM #5

They might make it where OPC does not skill up to prevent such ideas.

2/3/2017 10:20:01 PM #6

Posted By randys22 at 11:08 PM - Fri Feb 03 2017

Then, what's the point of OPC ?

It's the objective to train your skills with OPC, and do your stuff while playing.

You also have to keep in mind that it'll be harder and harder to train if you do the same thing again and again. in order to progress, you'll have to make harder things, and it need money and journey, in short, game time.

2/3/2017 10:20:46 PM #7

I don't know why SBS wouldn't like people using more sparks though, I doubt the gain would be enough to be unbalancing. It just means that if and when you jump into those other souls that they have some ramped up skills for you to acquire.

From a company standpoint, they would make a lot more having people do that.

2/3/2017 10:57:14 PM #8

Posted By Fyreto at 4:20 PM - Fri Feb 03 2017

It's the objective to train your skills with OPC, and do your stuff while playing.

You also have to keep in mind that it'll be harder and harder to train if you do the same thing again and again. in order to progress, you'll have to make harder things, and it need money and journey, in short, game time.

The point of OPC is for your character to be doing something while you are not playing since it will not leave the game. It is not intended for leveling skills while offline. I think it is more for making lots of lower skill items for orders or inventory. Things like fighting for guards and other low skill tasks that would not help you increase your skill.

2/26/2017 3:59:21 PM #9

Posted By Fyreto at 4:20 PM - Fri Feb 03 2017

It is my belief that 'OPCs' are there for immersion. Both your own immersion and other players. Since you can script your OPC to do certain tasks, such as accept contracts and sell at your storefront, you are constantly contributing to the community. The goal is building a fantasy world with a real life basis.

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh