COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Workings of townships: mayors, town councils, etc.

Copied from IRC from a talk about towns with Caspian:

The mayor is whoever is assigned Mayor during the chartering. Cities have Magistrates. Towns have Mayors. Villages have Elders.

When a Village is promoted to a Town, the Elders must sign a Town Charter and appoint a Mayor. You register your Town with the County. As part of the registrations, one Elder becomes the Mayor, the rest of the Elders become members of the Town Council.

And it continues as you go up to City, etc... Magistrate & City Council. Generally the Elders are the land owners who form the Village.

Example:

So let's you, me, and Magus buy land next to each other and put buildings on it. That's a "Hamlet". Then, after there's enough land, and certain buildings we can become a Village. Each of us become Elders. As Elders, we've got certain abilities. Mostly around Village management. If the Village continues to grow, and we get certain other buildings, as well as the necessary resources, we can register as a Town. Now one of us is made Mayor, and the rest become Councilmen. Again, we get certain abilities, and as Councilmen are considered Lesser Nobility. Both mayor and councilmen are now Aristocrats.

Right now the 30 players would buy land near each other, and then register to form a Village. The Village Elders can vote on stuff, with the vote weighted by the amount of land the Elder owns.

So the more land you own in the village, the more powerful you are within the village. If you own 51% of all the land in the village...

Selling land:

So let's say I owned 20% of the town's land. I could sell that land, thus making someone else an Elder. If I sold it to an existing Elder, they may become a majority shareholder, and could vote out the current Mayor and take over.

This is at a parcel level. So if you own multiple parcels, you could sell some of them. But you can't sell sections of a parcel, only lease.

“Must I undertake to prove that the slave is a man? That point is conceded already. Nobody doubts it. How should I look today, in the presence of you, dividing, and subdividing a discourse, to show that men have a natural right to freedom? To do so, would be to make myself ridiculous, and to offer an insult to your understanding.” - Paul Gilroy

12/28/2015 12:11:20 AM #1

It's unfortunate that the vast majority of successful polities will be run as a strict dictatorship. Democracy doesn't work in MMORPGs. It doesn't matter if you happen to own 51% of the land in your village; if the village is run by a group, then that group controls the village. Don't agree with them? Vote against them? Then prepare to be run out of town.

Sure, Village Elders can vote on stuff. But the reality of the situation is that the real leader of the group will tell the Elders how they are supposed to vote. And they will, because if they don't then they will suffer from their neighbours starting up a lynch mob.

12/28/2015 12:55:34 AM #2

Even though Zygethia is not a democracy we will not be a dictatorship.

12/28/2015 1:09:18 AM #3

@Morbis Since you'll be registering at a Count to become a town etc. you can always go to the Count if you're in trouble.

12/28/2015 1:14:18 AM #4

That assumes that the count has more power that the group that is pushing others out of town. Or that the count wants to face political repercussions by deciding one way or the other.

I'm sure there will be counts or higher that will have real influence, but those will be people who have significant political backing that no one would challenge them. It is not the title that matters, but what that person/group can bring to the table to back it up.

12/28/2015 1:16:26 AM #5

That only works if the Count has the power to enforce his edicts. Counts with that level of power will rise to that power on the shoulders of those groups that act as dictatorship. And so who will the Count listen to and act to help; the single troublemaking Elder, or the collective will of the group leader that holds the loyalty of 20+ people.

12/28/2015 1:22:33 AM #6

Do not forget about NPCs and OPC's they have there own wishes and desires as well so that 20 you talk about is more like 200 or 2,000.

12/28/2015 1:27:46 AM #7

NPCs and OPCs only matter if the skill ceiling is really low, making intelligent AI that can contend with players simply isn't possible without also lowering the skill ceiling. It means that 200 AI players might only play with the force of 100, because they can't react fast enough to attacks/easier to kite/any number of reasons that make them less than useful against a player.

In high numbers they might be alright, or if the skill ceiling is low, but than you're just playing a numbers game, and eventually one group or more than one group will have enough people that you can throw as many NPC's as you want and it wouldn't matter.

12/28/2015 1:28:14 AM #8

Have the developers released any information at all about the level of control high titled players will have over the NPCs that happen to live in the areas that his title gives governship over? Sure, if the Count can rally up an army of 200 NPC soldiers, then his title will have very real clout. But if not, then I don't see how that is supposed to act as a layer of protection against self governing policies.

And since OPCs needs and desires are entirely under the control of players, the reasoning behind their lack of importance in changing a random Counts political clout should be obvious.

12/28/2015 7:38:25 AM #9

This is one of my biggest fears for this game. I don't want power blocks to ruin it like they did in Eve Online. Do what we say, or else we will crush you!

Or: you wanna live here? Pay us rent!

Friend code: 598D31

12/28/2015 8:03:37 AM #10

See our previous design journal on housing. There's incentive for land owners to sell/lease to you.

We're really looking forward to seeing friends bands together to create their own hamlets, villages, towns, and even cities.

12/28/2015 11:07:12 AM #11

There's already a decent amount of information on current feudal system. The only problem is that all of it is about how to be a good vassal. Nothing about adverse possession on a large scale.

I'm quite sure the founders of Rome didn't register their 'village' with county authorities. In Elyria, if a large guild decides to create a town on a piece of land they don't actually own, it would be a bad move to register it with the authorities. Plus, they might not even recognize such authority.

So, while the feudal system will probably work flawlessly for those interested in that sort of thing, there must be another system for those who seek freedom and independence, and are willing to fight for them. Starting from day 1.

12/28/2015 11:51:01 AM #12

There is, adverse possession as long as you own the building on the land you want to claim and stay alive it is possible to take it from the original owners.

12/28/2015 7:01:29 PM #13

I hope I am the only person that want to live in a swamp.

12/29/2015 2:20:37 AM #14

Likewise, it is also perfectly feasible to stake a claim on uninhabited land and make it your own. So for those who, like Zsolo above, who want to live as a hermit in a swamp, it is entirely possible, given that one can manage the task of survival.

I am afraid that other people do not realize that the one aim of those who practice philosophy in the proper manner is to practice for dying and death.

--Socrates

12/29/2015 5:51:37 AM #15

I'm so excited about owning land and building up a family with a few of my friends!! Politics looks interesting but I hope we will able to land even in large towns slowly to become something in that town instead of the people owning the most land having a monopoly on the town.