COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Organization Land ownership?

As I was watching the talk about ownership, I started to wonder if organizations and not just people can own land. If that organization is dismantled, how would said land be redistributed?

The reason I'm curious is that if I'm a mayor, about to have much of my land stripped from me for not coming to the aid of a count I despise during a coup, I may want to give all of my lands to the town, to the church, to my guild. An entity where a noble can't rightly strip the land because the town or organization itself did nothing wrong.

2/4/2017 11:17:42 AM #1

Good question, it is clearly stated in th DJ on land management that a noble that got his title usurped will lose the land he owns into the settlement where his seat of power is.

But for mayors or for a noble striped of his title outside of a coup it is less clear if the land is lost too.

But independently of that, it would indeed be interesting to know if organisations can own land/buildings or if an actual character has to be the owner and the organisation only using it ?

And of course all the following questions if yes, like how do land owned by an organisation become abandoned, how an organisation sell its land, does an organisation enter the council of a settlement if it owns land in it, can an organisation become mayor ???????

2/4/2017 7:20:20 PM #2

I have a feeling that the organization can not become a title holder. Even with the monastic land rights of the Tudor era, there was a general hierarchy with who held the title for the land.

We know that the Mayor can be Mayor without owning the land, so It would be my thought that if an organization owns a large portion of the land, they would still require having a person run it, otherwise we get into the issue of one member setting things one way while another simultaneously attempt to do it the other way.

Thank you for your informative response. I've been binge reading and watching all the DJ's and Q&As for the last two days and know that I've likely missed stuff. :D

2/6/2017 6:58:21 AM #3

Possibly from a historical perspective you could be granted a charter from your local lord or higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter Or even a slightly better example: https://www.britannica.com/topic/charter-document

This might be useful if a duke feels that a certain group help across multiple counties and gives them the authority from the duke to do so.

Grant Count Urban of UrLore
[NA-W] Kingdom of Riftwood, The Duchy of Ailamos Defending my dinner

2/6/2017 7:42:16 AM #4

That would be good as my guild is a kingdom wide group and I don't want any of the players taking the land, nor do I want to have to pay taxes on it should I retire after a lifetime.

2/6/2017 10:28:37 AM #5

to fuel the discution let me link a few wikipedia pages that i think have some relation to the subject:

Prince-bishop

Hanseatic League

Teutonic Order

Those 3 pages are about organisations that ruled over land, either directly or by assuming some noble title.

2/6/2017 11:26:27 AM #6

Posted By DrTank09 at 05:20 AM - Sun Feb 05 2017

I have a feeling that the organization can not become a title holder. Even with the monastic land rights of the Tudor era, there was a general hierarchy with who held the title for the land.

We know that the Mayor can be Mayor without owning the land, so It would be my thought that if an organization owns a large portion of the land, they would still require having a person run it, otherwise we get into the issue of one member setting things one way while another simultaneously attempt to do it the other way.

Thank you for your informative response. I've been binge reading and watching all the DJ's and Q&As for the last two days and know that I've likely missed stuff. :D

Whether SBS implements anything similar for CoE is anybody's guess, but historically some organisations did kind of have a title similar/comparable to ones that nobles/aristrocrats had.

Monastic orders often ran village-like communes with Abbots/Abbesses at the head, with off-shoot satellite communities ran by a Prior/Prioress under the Abbot of the main community. Over time these religious communities even took on "lay brothers and sisters" (un-ordained residents) to take on the menial tasks to free the ordained monks and nuns to pursue more higher and/or scholastic pursuits. These lay-persons were free to marry and raise families there. As such Abbots pretty much acted as a Mayor of sorts, or even a Lord of the Manor.

Bishops often held so much sway that they were often granted charge of the civil matters of the region under their purview on top of their ecclesial duties. These bishops were known as Prince-Bishops (see Markof's link above), and are very comparable to Counts or perhaps even Dukes in some cases.

Imgur Imgur