COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
so the only medicinal skill is first aid?

so I went through the wiki and the only skill I found was low level first aid that could "heal you" and I was thinking my dreams of a doctor/surgeon clinic is over? getting herbal remedies to cure colds and hopefully treating diseases? gone?

my question is are the skills on the wiki subject to change? I feel like it's very limiting there are very cool and unique ones like grappling but still there's so much more you can do and I personally feel if there's probably enough skills to specialize in but it could be easily broadened for people that want a more unique experience like I appreciate they are creating things like cobbling for a shoe maker but i'd want paths like doctors, interpreters to get through language barriers and larger skill sets like filtering water and amputation it has so much potential.

another thing, would there be a way at the start of the game to give examples of paths people can take so it raises ideas for people for example an accountant or someone that breeds horses of high caliber.

please give me an answer/opinion on the matter ♥

341F10

2/4/2017 11:23:05 PM #1

confirmed

2/4/2017 11:25:47 PM #2

I would say that to have the exact "job" you want takes a little bit of ingenuity.

In terms of your thread title, there's more than JUST first aid as a healing profession. Hunting skills may be of use in being able to understand anatomy and thus better bandage or sew up someone in need. Alchemy will likely be needed for creation of salves, balms and potions for healing purposes. For that matter, herbalism is also inportant to the healer. SEWING! A crafting skill such as sewing may be appropriated... perhaps you could put extra special needlework designs in for decoration? There may be something there for a tattoo scribe to do as well.

The skills listed on the Wiki are simple the "example" set. Showing that the SBS team is working on mechanics to give you as much latitude as possible in designing your character.

As to a list upon entry IG... with the number of possibilities I think that list would take a little long to get through. I think it's sufficient to say that you have the opportunity to play the character you wish to play in this environment. You can be anything from a hunter, to an accountant to a field medic, to a lawyer, or a king, should you have the means.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

2/4/2017 11:26:14 PM #3

The wiki is no where near complete. They haven't actually released any official information on crafting or skill. Everything that is there is from the mentions of the different dev journals.

There will be a ton of different paths that come about in the beginning and pre-launch of the game, but due to this still being the pre-production/development phase, there dev team does not want to release much information as it might change and then users may feel adversely about it.

If you want to be a doctor, go for it. You might need to learn how to write anatomy books for your nurses, you might need to learn how to make soap?

There are all sorts of things that we ill know before launch that haven't come to pass yet but remember, no mater how much perpetration you do now, there is no telling what sort of need you will have of resources or what others will have of you.

2/5/2017 12:34:40 AM #4

While we might learn a skill, the actual application can be anything we can imagine. Take Trapping, it can be used with assassination, hunting, or home protection. Medicine and Healing on the basic level can be used as a quick healing for hunters in the wild, perhaps the next level could be a battlefield doctor, and finally a practitioner of medicine in a town or city. It will come down to the level of learning and where you want to apply your trade. And from what I have scavenged from information, there will be two paths of medicine, natural and applied. The healing with natural items will be done by utilizing nature, and the plants and animal items in combination for healing. I don't know how high this can get but I would say it may be on par with applied medicine. Applied medicine would be what we know of as today, medicines made by alchemist and applied by a doctor with a higher level of specialized learning. However, as many aspects of the game much has yet to be released in detain so we are left with only guesses and hopes on how it will be implemented.

As to career paths in the game, in such a game as CoE, there will be no set path nor skills required. I would guess that if you asked a handful of explorers you will get multiple builds. Probably the same for most professions. Where there may be a backup/supporting skill to your main that was well as other skills you decide to take will be a individual choice. A Tailor may want a secondary skill to refine the cloth themselves, where as another may take a skill of Socialization, to be able to mingle with the nobility at parties and drum up business. It will probably come down to your end goals, play style, and just player choice.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/5/2017 1:10:29 AM #5

I'm trying to recall a single game that put all of its cards on the table before releasing their game. While I share the curiosity and quest for knowledge, I would be very surprised if we got a complete overview of every skill progression chart prior to launch.

A beginning healer might start with some knowledge of herbs and poultices. As the healer becomes more proficient, they'll learn more about the body and how to heal it. As knowledge increases and new inventions are discovered, full on surgery might be a thing. Just like a woodworker who knows how to carve out a canoe might learn to build a small sailboat and eventually a warship.

2/5/2017 1:29:42 AM #6

Great explanation Sullen.

I didn't know about the subset of medicine.

Teland, they confirmed surgery with the Operation reference. And I agree with you, we won't get the skill progression chart. That is part of the fun of the game, not knowing what we will discover. I still am really hopping that we get a full 2 or 3-tier skill chart (combat-1h-1h axe/crafting-carpentry-?)

2/5/2017 2:35:45 AM #7

Medicine is just chemistry's affects on human and will probably be put in alchemy since they want their alchemy to be like chemistry.

I don't know anymore.

2/5/2017 2:43:26 AM #8

Well, if what Sullen mentioned is correct, alchemy would be for applied medicine while other forms of medical care might go under survival or a completely different subset of skills in another group that we don't know about.

2/5/2017 2:51:42 AM #9

Posted By DrTank09 at 9:43 PM - Sat Feb 04 2017

Well, if what Sullen mentioned is correct, alchemy would be for applied medicine while other forms of medical care might go under survival or a completely different subset of skills in another group that we don't know about.

Using the crafting DJ and wiki I didn't see anything about "medicine". I see first aid but not medicine.

I don't know anymore.

2/5/2017 2:53:02 AM #10

Current skills we know of: https://gyazo.com/0b10dcd54df6c26c953aad24b516925b

I don't know anymore.

2/5/2017 2:59:10 AM #11

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 9:51 PM - Sat Feb 04 2017

Posted By DrTank09 at 9:43 PM - Sat Feb 04 2017

Using the crafting DJ and wiki I didn't see anything about "medicine". I see first aid but not medicine.

we have no idea what crating trees there are because they haven't given us that information yet. I'm just basing this off of what Sullen said earlier. I don't know where he got his information from though.

Regardless, even a plant consumed to heal a wound is medicine. As far as we know this could mean alchemy used to combine ingredients, brewing for alcohol, weaving bandages, using a mortar and pestle to make a poultice, or just plant knowledge in general.

2/5/2017 3:03:24 AM #12

True but with the realism levels they aspire for I doubt eating some berry will help that gash on your arm. If that were the case they wouldn't need First Aid as a skill. Your supposed to use first aid for quick fixes, having plants that you can search for to go around first aid would hurt it's value. Now eating may slow bleeding or encourage clotting but "heal"? I don't think so.

I don't know anymore.

2/5/2017 4:24:26 AM #13

well, maybe not berries, but having an aloeverra plant to pulp into the wound might be something? Regardless, there will likely be a lot of cross skill needs for the medical professions.

2/5/2017 4:38:17 AM #14

Posted By DrTank09 at 11:24 PM - Sat Feb 04 2017

well, maybe not berries, but having an aloeverra plant to pulp into the wound might be something? Regardless, there will likely be a lot of cross skill needs for the medical professions.

That would probably then be crossing into first aid and using medicinal herbs during the bandaging process.

As for cross skills that is the point of CoE. Instead of picking a class that gives you skills, you pick skills and create your own class and specialization. There is no right/wrong skills to take, just what class you want to create.

To run a stationary clinic I would suggest (from known skills there are many unknown), Alchemy > First Aid > Herbalism > Scribing. Use herbalism to grow your herbs and medicinals in the back yard or anywhere really, Alchemy to take those ingredients and make cures/medicine, First Aid to quickly stop bleeding and bandage wounds so you have time to do what you need to do crafting wise to get the man some help, and basic scribing for contracts since you will be selling a service and need to use contracts.

I don't know anymore.

2/5/2017 4:47:51 AM #15

Yeah, I figured it would probably work something like that as well. It would be cool to see some other skills that we may not have thought of or how these things get categorized.

I just applied for a UX grad program which is hosted by the Informatics school and the debate over how human knowledge should be divided is real. But it is truly interesting.