COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Scrying Talent

This is magic to a extent, but probably ties into beast taming more. I'd like to throw out a mechanic I'd personally enjoy. Imagine if you could use the eyes of a tamed beast or bird to scout ahead on a dangerous road or check fortifications of a nearby settlement before attacking? Some other games have similar mechanics, although in a top-down form instead of first person. What would be the challenges of implementing this in game? How would you all use the information; Spying, surveillance or trading? Would this be a valuable tool for streamers and twitch; Having a bird's eye view of battles and seiges?

It could be a nice addition to the game, what are your thoughts?

2/14/2017 5:17:34 PM #1

It's an interesting idea, but it would be very easy to kill you while you are 'away'.

On another note, it's incredibly easy to abuse this by taking screenshots of, for example, military formations during a battle and sharing them with your friends.

Alt text

2/15/2017 3:11:29 AM #2

Posted By CalligoMiles at 09:17 AM - Tue Feb 14 2017

It's an interesting idea, but it would be very easy to kill you while you are 'away'.

On another note, it's incredibly easy to abuse this by taking screenshots of, for example, military formations during a battle and sharing them with your friends.

the talent systems are meant to give a major edge in their respective fields so i think that it would be fair to assume that its fine if you got the edge in that regard i could see a kingdom looking for people with those talents in order to gain the edge like that. either that or hunting them down till they are all dead or in hiding lmao

2/17/2017 8:49:38 AM #3

Posted By RebultFob at 04:11 AM - Wed Feb 15 2017

the talent systems are meant to give a major edge in their respective fields so i think that it would be fair to assume that its fine if you got the edge in that regard i could see a kingdom looking for people with those talents in order to gain the edge like that. either that or hunting them down till they are all dead or in hiding lmao

I get that talents aren't supposed to be fair, but this might be a bit much. Sure, having someone who can throw fireballs against you is quite dangerous, but you can try to hide from him. This talent would pretty much be equivalent to a drone. Just set up a livestream for your friends and start scanning, and they will know the exact position of any enemy in real-time.

Alt text

2/19/2017 5:34:29 AM #4

Posted By CalligoMiles at 12:49 AM - Fri Feb 17 2017

I get that talents aren't supposed to be fair, but this might be a bit much. Sure, having someone who can throw fireballs against you is quite dangerous, but you can try to hide from him. This talent would pretty much be equivalent to a drone. Just set up a livestream for your friends and start scanning, and they will know the exact position of any enemy in real-time.

i could see that i just think its just a different sort of skill maybe if it was limited until they unlock the full potential i think at most it should last like 5 minutes you know im sure there is a way to balance it.

2/21/2017 8:53:11 AM #5

Posted By RebultFob at 06:34 AM - Sun Feb 19 2017

Posted By CalligoMiles at 12:49 AM - Fri Feb 17 2017

i could see that i just think its just a different sort of skill maybe if it was limited until they unlock the full potential i think at most it should last like 5 minutes you know im sure there is a way to balance it.

Sure, but it would be relatively difficult compared to other talents. SBS has limited time and resources. I'm not saying it is impossible or a bad idea, just that it would be harder to implement than most other talents.

Alt text

2/24/2017 12:52:24 AM #6

you are most definatly not wrong, it just dosent seem like the date will change much because of it they were just taking submission from the populous

2/24/2017 4:46:54 PM #7

To me it sounds like you're all thinking of controlling the beast.

How about an ability that would let you "See, what you're seeing sees". Meaning that you would be required to have visual contact with the bird, person, deer, fish or whatever, but you can't control it.

This would of course require either split-screen or some sort of "overlay interface"

Personally i feel that THAT would be an awesome ability too, and not necessary too OP, since you can't control the animal/person who's eyes you are looking thru.

(then again, it would require that the animals and human NPCs all are coded with "eyes" to see thru. Which doesn't sound too hard to make, but i'm not a programmer, and it might require more time-investment than they would use on a single skill)

2/25/2017 10:18:21 PM #8

'Talents' are not balanced and they're not meant to be. There's no reason to squabble over his idea. -The website even lists "...Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things...". What we are just waiting on now is what the cons of each Talent' will be. Do not forget that the usage of 'Talents' consumes your 'Soul' resources which is equivalent to your character's lifespan (Game Play Time).

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh

2/26/2017 8:30:01 PM #9

Posted By Landsraad at 4:18 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

'Talents' are not balanced and they're not meant to be. There's no reason to squabble over his idea. -The website even lists "...Travel, Shapeshifting, Healing, Animal Speak, Planes Walking, and many other things...". What we are just waiting on now is what the cons of each Talent' will be. Do not forget that the usage of 'Talents' consumes your 'Soul' resources which is equivalent to your character's lifespan (Game Play Time).

Um, no it does not use your "soul" resources. Where did you read that? Maybe there are talents out there that might tap into that, but we don't know what it uses, or how they work. However, using soul as a resource would defeat the purpose of having magic for example for a lot of people. Plus, I think providing this misinformation is discouraging to new people coming into the forums, thinking that having an already extremely rare ability will cost them money to even use. That is not the case.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. You cannot subjugate a nation forcibly unless you wipe out every man, woman, and child. Unless you wish to use such drastic measures, you must find a way of settling your disputes without resort to arms." -Albert Einstein

Friend Code: 86EE7E

2/27/2017 7:14:17 PM #10

As a talent this would def be possible. Obviously there would be drawbacks, maybe if your animal were killed while you were looking threw them, you'd have to spirit walk back to your body... And you couldn't move while in a bird.

But it could also create super cool dynamics... the ravens have eyes xD

3/1/2017 7:11:19 PM #11

All I know is if you want the best Crystal Ball in the land, come see my family's glass blowing shop, and we will get you outfitted with the best money can buy!

3/1/2017 7:12:54 PM #12

The update that gave the perks of the different pets said that conifer rats could be trained for espionage. Idk what that entails but hey, maybe it is scrying?

I don't know anymore.