COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
We need some breeders

Are women going to become like a commodity for their ability to produce heirs (and lower female population)? If i die and come back as my son, will i have to inbreed since whoever was playing the wife is the same female character? Will san Francisco inspired cities have to adopt more? Are pregnant women just as good in combat or do women just pop out a 15 year old whenever they are kissed?

2/20/2017 6:45:44 PM #1

What the fuck?

2/20/2017 6:50:54 PM #2

Now, the reason I can co-sign this thread is because at least he's talking about mechanics and not RP garbage

But saying that, I think I am still conflicted

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

2/20/2017 7:09:30 PM #3

Uhhhh....

OK so men and women are equal in Elyria, as far as I know women aren't any worse off than a man in any profession because of their gender. What does matter is where you're raised and who your parents are. There is not going to be pregnancy, parents create kids through contracts and both get a debuff so they can't mass produce children, there are no other individual physical downsides of having children. If you need an heir, you don't have to be married or "inbreed" or anything ... All you need to do is find a person of the opposite sex to create a contract to get a child.

I also like how you assume that you will have a son when the time comes to pass on to your heir, you might not have a choice and will have to play as a female heir instead ;)

2/20/2017 7:11:42 PM #4

Wow.

A little research goes a long way.

2/21/2017 2:07:48 AM #5

People don't like my creative questioning? Ok. Guess was just asking if there were imbalances of gender there could be issues in creating children? Im the only one that would find it weird having children within the family?

2/21/2017 2:31:06 AM #6

People don't like my creative questioning?

"Are women going to become like a commodity for their ability to produce heirs (and lower female population)? If i die and come back as my son, will i have to inbreed since whoever was playing the wife is the same female character? Will san Francisco inspired cities have to adopt more? Are pregnant women just as good in combat or do women just pop out a 15 year old whenever they are kissed?"

If you define this as creative, dont try to be creative in the future.

As for your questions. You can't treat anyone as commodity, because there is no slavery in CoE. There is no miscarriage, so you don't have any major disadvantages as a women. You won't give birth to a 15-year-old child, but a baby. That baby is immortal until its 12th birthday.

Btw, I don't think kissing is enough to make a woman pregnant, neither in RL nor in CoE.

2/21/2017 3:13:08 AM #7

I was hoping it would make the issues more glaring. Surprisingly still no answer to gender imbalances only dissaproval of me for considering them. Learn something new everyday

2/21/2017 4:03:15 AM #8

Posted By Termii at 6:31 PM - Mon Feb 20 2017

People don't like my creative questioning?

"Are women going to become like a commodity for their ability to produce heirs (and lower female population)? If i die and come back as my son, will i have to inbreed since whoever was playing the wife is the same female character? Will san Francisco inspired cities have to adopt more? Are pregnant women just as good in combat or do women just pop out a 15 year old whenever they are kissed?"

If you define this as creative, dont try to be creative in the future.

Let's all agree... to never be creative again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CHReRMcQ

2/21/2017 4:37:06 AM #9

I was hoping it would make the issues more glaring. Surprisingly still no answer to gender imbalances only dissaproval of me for considering them. Learn something new everyday

Read @Hellmoons answer : "[...]men and women are equal in Elyria[...]"

2/21/2017 4:50:36 AM #10

Call me crazy, but I think the OP was addressing a root game issue as in if breeding is an actual long term game mechanic then do females get treated as they once did within human society and how that relates to the balance of male to female characters within the game and what the female toons can hope to acheive. I believe that all of the horny or dynasty minded males will be able to hook up with NPC babes in order to create offspring, so it is really a non-issue.

2/21/2017 6:46:33 AM #11

If by men being equal means men can breed with men well i guess that answers my questions. But thats not usually how reproduction works so its not what i would assume

2/21/2017 7:02:36 AM #12

Posted By Reikan at 10:46 PM - Mon Feb 20 2017

If by men being equal means men can breed with men well i guess that answers my questions. But thats not usually how reproduction works so its not what i would assume

As far as men and women being equal, this goes not only for character stats, but also for inheritance. There really should be no difference if you have a male heir or a female heir as the world will run on contracts. It's not like people will be drowning their daughters if they are first born. Through a contract, that first-born daughter can just as well inherit and run a family estate, or barony, or kingdom.

So, people scrambling to only have male children won't be a thing - unless you want it to be a thing for your personal legacy. As for me, I'm keeping a list of both male and female names to name myself as my descendants (hopefully) span the centuries.

2/21/2017 7:20:53 AM #13

Yes, homosexual couples can have children. It's adoption, rather than conception, but the net results are dictated by contract, the same as "organic" babies.

2/21/2017 9:46:33 AM #14

Posted By Bombastus at 08:20 AM - Tue Feb 21 2017

Yes, homosexual couples can have children. It's adoption, rather than conception, but the net results are dictated by contract, the same as "organic" babies.

last time i checked a baby contract must be between a male and a female.

A same sex couple can raise a child if they have enough space for it but they need an other sex character to sign the baby contract with..

The importent word here is character, it do not need to be a player character it can also be an NPC.

in Elyria gender do not discreminate your rights or your abilities.

But you could ask yourself the question the OP asked if you had like the OP not read a thing about CoE.

In CoE we do not create characters, we take over existing characters, it means you play or not do not change right away the number of characters in the world, a new player do not add a new character !

So the gender ratio is not into players hands, ok technically it could be, at least locally, if players were to kill all characters of a specific gender but that would be locally and for a limited time only.

Players have to start to understand that for the first time in MMO history they are not going to be at the top of the food chain, they share that spot with NPCs, at least for as long as their will be NPCs.

2/21/2017 2:01:40 PM #15

Posted By Reikan at 8:07 PM - Mon Feb 20 2017

People don't like my creative questioning? Ok. Guess was just asking if there were imbalances of gender there could be issues in creating children? Im the only one that would find it weird having children within the family?

The whole "breeding within the family" was addressed a while back in a QA. In addition the balance (quantity not quality) between the sexes was brought up before and SBS mentioned they can turn a dial and suddenly the majority of children being born are of the less numerous sex.

So in short like I mentioned above research is your friend.

The divide and problems you envision have been addressed normally I'm more than happy to link to them however given your responses I don't think you are looking for answers but something else.