COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Black Market shops

So I have no idea if this i deal would work, but the idea behind it is having a normal blacksmith shop at first look, but then someone walks in knowing the right code word (which would changed weekly/monthly) meaning that you could take said customer to the back room or close up shop and start selling equipment more useful for specific tasks like "taking care" of people with the use of hidden or ranged killing weapons. This I feel could be useful if taking out i high ranking subject where they would have some investigate heavily into who killed the person. the code word could be sold to dark guilds.

This would of course only work if in blacksmithing you could create something useful enough to make a need to buy. Also a need to make sure it can't be lead back to them.

Just interested in seeing what people think.

1/5/2016 2:16:53 AM #1

We know that buildings can be designed with secret rooms in mind. What this really needs is goods that local polities have good reason to ban; as you say, hidden deadly weapons and the like. If local laws said that every weapon had to be peace bound, and a blacksmith could design blades that, from all appearances looked peace bound, even after use, that could be worth it for an aspiring assassin. No need to worry while in the inn, everyone hear has a peace bound sword. Oh, that man just drew his and rammed it though my heart. Oh well.

I like the idea.

1/5/2016 1:09:28 PM #2

I like this idea. As an Herbalist I might just sell... toxins to kill your rat infestations... yea. Those are in the backroom. :D

12/7/2016 9:25:01 AM #3

peace bound blades.... seriously... yea well, i got a bow...... peace bound my quiver hahaha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nurarihyon#/media/File:Suuhi_Nurarihyon.jpg Master Merchant

12/7/2016 9:49:10 AM #4

Interesting idea. Until of course the local guards discover there's criminal activity, and force an entrance to investigate.

At that stage, you potentially lose everything.

In the meantime, people leaving with stolen goods can potentially have them recognized and risk being charged themselves too.

It's all a dangerous game ;)

12/7/2016 11:20:24 AM #5

It may be a dangerous game, but so is the art of assassination. Especially with the skill to investigate crimes, it may be beneficial to have hidden areas for certain deemed illegal goods, or even ones that may not be banned but are specifically designed for certain activities deemed illegal such as murder, or others as the game progresses. If a certain blade or contraption or concoction were to be identified in a crime, it wouldn't do to have it lead back to your store with the same type of item right there on the shelves. I think this will take root eventually. Not on a mass scale but in select circles.

1/3/2017 10:04:07 PM #6

This darkroom will be extrimely useful. Not only to acquire ban substances or equipment but in order to meet those willing assassins you need to kill that certain player you just can't stand... No assassin is gonna stand in the market place and shout to everyone who he is and what he does you need certain locations to make this arregments and deals. Same goes for thiefs.. they will need brokers and fences to sell their stolen goods to and that will certainly required those hidden darkrooms.

1/3/2017 11:37:07 PM #7

Given that the economy is player based and there are mechanics for thievery, assassination, and laws it likely that there will be a Black Market.

However...

There's a problem I see. We, the players, have access to information our characters won't. We can Google how to buy rat poison in CoE and find out that Trithian the Herbalist is willing to sell you enough to take care of something a bit larger... For the right price.

Now, say you're in a town with a control freak for a mayor, He has said that there will absolutely none of that sort of thing in his town so he and his minions (they always have minions) scour the forums looking for information instead of doing it in the game.

So, now Trithian has Johnny Law knocking on his door and doing whatever it is they do to arrest innocent herbalists all because someone said something outside of the game.

it's a stretch, sure, but you know it will happen.

TL;DR Don't post your in game criminal activities on the forums.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

1/4/2017 12:45:34 PM #8

That is a good good advice. Personally my forum name and character name will be different. You can propose your criminal need to me om the forum and I will inspect you and follow your activities in game as to see if you are true towars your intections. Of course this interaction in forum will start with a message on your inbox where ee can discuss a way to show that you are not part of the law enforcement agency of that town or kingdom. We will see how everyhing plays out learn from our mistakes and improve as well.

1/4/2017 1:56:25 PM #9

Posted By Nurarihyon at 10:25 AM - Wed Dec 07 2016

peace bound blades.... seriously... yea well, i got a bow...... peace bound my quiver hahaha

It's called unstringed.

Count Lofi of Skaaney, friend code 8766AA

1/23/2017 7:27:33 PM #10

Posted By Hugh Bris at 4:37 PM - Tue Jan 03 2017

Given that the economy is player based and there are mechanics for thievery, assassination, and laws it likely that there will be a Black Market.

However...

There's a problem I see. We, the players, have access to information our characters won't. We can Google how to buy rat poison in CoE and find out that Trithian the Herbalist is willing to sell you enough to take care of something a bit larger... For the right price.

Now, say you're in a town with a control freak for a mayor, He has said that there will absolutely none of that sort of thing in his town so he and his minions (they always have minions) scour the forums looking for information instead of doing it in the game.

So, now Trithian has Johnny Law knocking on his door and doing whatever it is they do to arrest innocent herbalists all because someone said something outside of the game.

it's a stretch, sure, but you know it will happen.

TL;DR Don't post your in game criminal activities on the forums.

Good thing Trithian is the account name and the character name can be different so he can in theory broadcast that he is willing to sell poisons for totally not humans to a degree. He just can't outright say where to get them for obvious reasons.