COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
what happens if my character dies while in NPC mode?

So, we do know that the devs will give all player characters the ability to be scripted to perform activities while you are away. This will most likely be training in their chosen profession to raise their skills.

The question is, what happens if you are killed while in offline mode. I assume the moment you log on you immediately do your spirit walk to resurrect, the question is, do you continually lose lifespan while dead? or lose it at an accelerated rate? or does your lifespan freeze while dead?

For example, say I was on vacation for 2 weeks, and my character was killed the moment I got off and lies dead for 2 weeks before I come back to resurrect him. Does he just lose death penalty lifespan and that's it? does he "age" while dead and lose 2 weeks + the lifespan? or does he get hit by further penalties for being dead for so long?

Have the devs addressed this at any point?

2/22/2017 3:28:14 PM #1

Caspian quotes from here.

Caspian: [...]So if you are offline your character will freeze in the astral plain and it won’t be counted against their spirit walking. So when you come back online the first thing you’ll have to do is complete your spirit walk. before you’ll be able to re-enter the world.

[...](while you are offline, your character is) in a coma so to speak but if you don’t spirit walk back to your body within that month period of time then it’s perma-death.

Caspian : OPC’s won’t have any spirit walking scripts.

2/22/2017 3:35:12 PM #2

I hope we get some kind of overview as to what happened that killed our character.

"We're all connected;
To eachother, biologically; To the earth, chemically; To the rest of the universe, atomically." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Friendcode: 205FC9

2/22/2017 4:48:19 PM #3

Posted By Leeahna at 09:35 AM - Wed Feb 22 2017

I hope we get some kind of overview as to what happened that killed our character.

Assuming you didn't log off in the wilderness and starved to death, you'd just come back with a bounty token for whoever killed you.

3/9/2017 7:46:42 AM #4

Posted By Kaynadin at 08:48 AM - Wed Feb 22 2017

Assuming you didn't log off in the wilderness and starved to death, you'd just come back with a bounty token for whoever killed you.

Would you though? Isn't the point of the Forensics Bardic skill to help locate evidence as to who killed you?

3/9/2017 9:04:45 AM #5

Depends.

If your killer was standing face to face with your character, unmasked, and perhaps even a person known to them, before being stabbed in the belly, then surely upon waking from the spiritrealm your character would know that it was Uncle Bob or "that guy that comes in every now and then for supplies" that killed them and left them for dead.

The point of the Forensic Bardic skill is to find killers that you did not see or know, or the successful killers of PCs that did not back it back from their spiritwalk to identify them.

Imgur Imgur

3/9/2017 12:34:52 PM #6

Or to find the people who took something from your house when nobody was home so no bounty token was automatically generated.

3/9/2017 1:32:09 PM #7

Posted By Ravenlute at 01:46 AM - Thu Mar 09 2017

Would you though? Isn't the point of the Forensics Bardic skill to help locate evidence as to who killed you?

The following is my understanding and not to be taken as gospel.

If I am killed by Leeahna who chose to attack me without a disguise when I log in I have a bounty token for Leeahna.

If Leeahna decides to wear a disguise whether I have a token or not when I log back in depends on whether I could see through the disguise (my skill versus disguise skill of Leeahna). If my skill wins I know who killed me and I have a token. If not I would likely have evidence of some sort (speculation) or something I can give to someone to investigate and uncover who my killer was. Since I was offline I doubt the evidence would be in the open or would start to decay till I log back in. (Again speculation)

Now if Leeahna wears an actual separate identity after masterfully following and learning all of Kaynadin'a mannerisms and going deep enough in the deviant tree to have the skill required... my bounty token would be for Kaynadin not for Leeahna. Now how that affects spirit loss we don't know but framing other people will be a thing.

So in short what information we have likely depends on how well the deviant skill tree works. To me there are lots of ways to exploit this mechanic but it's possible that's the point. Until they release more info on how they want the design to work we just won't know for sure and are stuck speculating.

3/9/2017 2:28:56 PM #8

Posted By Malais at 07:32 AM - Thu Mar 09 2017

Posted By Ravenlute at 01:46 AM - Thu Mar 09 2017

The following is my understanding and not to be taken as gospel.

If I am killed by Leeahna who chose to attack me without a disguise when I log in I have a bounty token for Leeahna.

If Leeahna decides to wear a disguise whether I have a token or not when I log back in depends on whether I could see through the disguise (my skill versus disguise skill of Leeahna). If my skill wins I know who killed me and I have a token. If not I would likely have evidence of some sort (speculation) or something I can give to someone to investigate and uncover who my killer was. Since I was offline I doubt the evidence would be in the open or would start to decay till I log back in. (Again speculation)

Now if Leeahna wears an actual separate identity after masterfully following and learning all of Kaynadin'a mannerisms and going deep enough in the deviant tree to have the skill required... my bounty token would be for Kaynadin not for Leeahna. Now how that affects spirit loss we don't know but framing other people will be a thing.

So in short what information we have likely depends on how well the deviant skill tree works. To me there are lots of ways to exploit this mechanic but it's possible that's the point. Until they release more info on how they want the design to work we just won't know for sure and are stuck speculating.

Good point. Framing will be a thing. It could be that you'll have a token for the wrong person when you log back in because the attacker had a disguise on. In that case I wonder if the accused would then hire a bard to examine the crime scene and find evidence that it was really someone else.

3/9/2017 4:57:31 PM #9

From my current understanding and to answer your questions is if you die in OPC mode, the timer for the Spirit Walk will not start till you log back in and I doubt a Killer can continue to kill you over and over past the 2.5 hour safe cap since you will remain dead for the entire 2 weeks. Since CoE has a persistent world, even though you are dead you will age. So once you log back in and start your spirit walk you will notice your character is older than they used to be. One thing of note also is they will be lootable for the entire 2 weeks so don't expect to have must left when you return. Since they are not 'dead' just unconscious or coup de graced the time to loot the body will vary but being gone for 2 weeks will provide enough time to probably pick it clean.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the