COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Punishments for Criminals

So I've been thinking about possible punishments for criminals. Prison is such a boring punishment. I think we can come up with some far better punishments. So how about these?

Blind them.

Deafen them.

Cut out their tongue.

Cut off their hands and feet.

For really bad criminals - all of the above.

Decapitation.

Castration so they won't get any heirs.

Forced removal of children so they can't inherit the criminals goods and title.

Brand them with a hot iron.

That is me pretty much out of ideas for the moment. Can you add any punishments to the list for criminals?

2/23/2017 6:33:40 AM #1

It's been stated that dismemberment will not be a part of CoE. So, the majority of these are confirmed to not be in the game. Removal of child is difficult because the type of child it is would be handled differently in different cases, causing meta-gaming, which desired to be avoided. Good brainstorming though! Sorry to rain on your parade. Best of luck. :)

http://i.imgur.com/RUFSA4O.gif

2/23/2017 6:35:21 AM #2

Yeah lets... not do any of these things...

2/23/2017 6:45:40 AM #3

Though some do sound cool. Be easier just to make crimes so harsh they get life jail terms. Make them waste their money for new lives. Maybe even have lack of story points to keep going.

2/23/2017 11:47:26 AM #4

In the past, conviction of a crime for a noble or aristocrat would result in, at best, heavy fines, reparations, and dishonor on the family name or house. At worst, loss of wealth, lands, and title could result. Execution would be for the absolute worst offenses.

In Noble society, reputation is everything. You won't want alliances with a house that's members have committed crimes. I think the offences should be discoverable by other players interacting with members of that house for a period of time. This will add a social element that will necessitate the head of the house to punish criminal behavior beyond what the law would. I think it would enrich the social environment.

For everyday folks, loss of property, fines, jail, corporal punishment, public humiliation were the norm. How about the stocks? The character is held in an area of the town square for a length of time to be humiliated by those who pass by. Their crime posted above their head. Maybe a rotten fruit throwing mini-game? The offender is forced into a public "greased pig catching" mini-game to get free early or reduce debuffs? Lots of fun things you could do with that. Again, it enriches the social environment and makes the game world more believable while discouraging crime.

Not sure how execution would fit into the game system, maybe for confirmed cheaters/botters? This could result in a perma-death and/or account ban? Preferably an in-game public execution to discourage other offenders. Again, something that was done to criminals in the past.

I'm sure someone has mentioned this before. But features like this would be both interesting and beneficial to the game, while staying true to the setting.

2/23/2017 12:10:53 PM #5

The most simple and boring methods can be the most successful, if you sit in jail, you loose real time (instead or sitting in jail you could be doing something more productive), and by siting in jail your you will get more spirit loss penalty.

But I like the idea of branding, if a person committed pretty severe crime, stole a lot of things, assaulted and killed many travelers/merchants, in addition to jail time he can be branded, so when others try to deal with him they will see that this character did something terrible so that he was branded (and since there will be no world/general chat - people will not be able to should that this guy is a killer/thief or something, and the brand will be there even if a person decides to go to another kingdom), and as @bloodskylah said - reputation plays a huge role, you can end up being a person who nobody wants to deal with.

2/23/2017 12:43:46 PM #6

Something to bear in mind when dreaming up stuff like this. When the bad people take over your nice Duchy they will decide who is a criminal and who gets punished, not you. Be careful what you wish for.

2/23/2017 12:51:06 PM #7

Posted By Primavera at 2:43 PM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Something to bear in mind when dreaming up stuff like this. When the bad people take over your nice Duchy they will decide who is a criminal and who gets punished, not you. Be careful what you wish for.

In order to be a criminal you have to do something wrong according to the laws, if someone takes over the duchy they can't just come to you and say you need to go to jail

2/23/2017 12:59:56 PM #8

I think that if something as horrible as dismemberment as punishment were in the game it could be twisted for use against whoever the unscrupulous decided to use it against. We're talking about game mechanics after all, not real laws.

2/23/2017 1:10:30 PM #9

Always someone coming up with more and more punishments for criminals. First of all, the game needs us.. Why you ask? Because the 10 year story isn't designed to be something that happens every day. There is going to be content that is provided by us, the players. The players that are going to steal from you, kill you, and make your game time a little less fun.. But where we may cause a blacksmith or an animal breeder some issues, we are going to give those champions, sheriffs and other people who are good and enjoy fighting something to do. Requesting harsher penalties for crimes is only going to make the game absolutely boring when you drive out most of the casual bad guys.

Friend code: 172B2A

2/23/2017 1:28:08 PM #10

Posted By Kab at 3:10 PM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Always someone coming up with more and more punishments for criminals. First of all, the game needs us.

It's not that we're against criminals, well..we're against them, but I believe that crime should exist because it's a part of the game, problem is balancing how crime should be punished. If you only get a bit of jail time - nothing will stop people from killing merchants and adventurers for their money and gear, sure you'll waste an hour in jail and loose some spirit but you get more money and gear in that time if you would try to do it the honest way, no scratch that, stealing will always bring you profit easier and faster that's the point of it, but people will do not care about consequences If the penalty is too severe, you stole an apple - you have no arms for the rest of your life, people will just stop doing crime which is kinda good, but it's the same if people would wish that there would be no PvP since they're afraid of wars. So back to my point - crime should be rewarding, but it should also involve a great risk and/or penalty of being caught.

2/23/2017 4:21:16 PM #11

Posted By Abigor at 05:28 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Always someone coming up with more and more punishments for criminals. First of all, the game needs us.

If you only get a bit of jail time - nothing will stop people from killing merchants and adventurers for their money and gear

And you know this how?

Have you played this game? With other people? You've seen this fail to deter crime?

Don't presume to understand the psychology of something you've never been.

2/23/2017 4:30:03 PM #12

Posted By Vucar at 10:21 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

Posted By Abigor at 05:28 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

If you only get a bit of jail time - nothing will stop people from killing merchants and adventurers for their money and gear

And you know this how?

Have you played this game? With other people? You've seen this fail to deter crime?

Don't presume to understand the psychology of something you've never been.

removed

2/23/2017 4:41:11 PM #13

@Kab - I thought Vucar was replying to Abigor, not to you.

2/23/2017 4:41:23 PM #14

Interesting post Cromulent. It fits the time setting. :)

2/23/2017 4:43:13 PM #15

Posted By Primavera at 10:41 AM - Thu Feb 23 2017

@Kab - I thought Vucar was replying to Abigor, not to you.

Good call. The quote inside a quote stuff is a pain in my rear. Removed the reply.