COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Punishments for Criminals

So I've been thinking about possible punishments for criminals. Prison is such a boring punishment. I think we can come up with some far better punishments. So how about these?

Blind them.

Deafen them.

Cut out their tongue.

Cut off their hands and feet.

For really bad criminals - all of the above.

Decapitation.

Castration so they won't get any heirs.

Forced removal of children so they can't inherit the criminals goods and title.

Brand them with a hot iron.

That is me pretty much out of ideas for the moment. Can you add any punishments to the list for criminals?

2/26/2017 10:00:51 AM #46

Posted By Oracle at 10:48 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

He will ages like everyone else

I've gloss over the poor English as it's not really important. :)

I can only say that perhaps your wife just prefers criminals

I'd be careful here, because at this point you are crossing over from talking about imaginary in game roles, to passing a direct insult to a real person which is an action not aligned with forum rules.

2/26/2017 10:06:30 AM #47

Posted By Gothix at 10:00 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

He will ages like everyone else

I've gloss over the poor English as it's not really important. :)

I can only say that perhaps your wife just prefers criminals

I'd be careful here, because at this point you are crossing over from talking about imaginary in game roles, to passing a direct insult to a real person which is an action not aligned with forum rules.

Already spotted and corrected the typo thanks.

Re quote 2, what makes you think that's referring to RL? Were you talking about RL? If so, I hadn't realised. Perhaps you crossed the line yourself :)

2/26/2017 10:13:21 AM #48

Posted By Oracle at 11:06 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Re quote 2, what makes you think that's referring to RL? Were you talking about RL? If so, I hadn't realised. Perhaps you crossed the line yourself :)

I was talking about mercenaries, sellswords and Elyrian nobility, and i specifically named them in my sentences. You just said "your wife", there is an obvious difference. Just saying.

2/26/2017 11:12:56 AM #49

Posted By Gothix at 10:13 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Posted By Oracle at 11:06 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

I was talking about mercenaries, sellswords and Elyrian nobility, and i specifically named them in my sentences. You just said "your wife", there is an obvious difference. Just saying.

And I quote:

"Meanwhile while they slack in main square looking for work (that they aren't getting) criminals will be working on their wives."

Meanwhile, the rest of it stands. There's nothing more "manly" about deciding to troll your locals rather than working in a respectible manner. Indeed, quite the opposite.

3/4/2017 5:07:30 AM #50

Posted By OrangeBoy at 10:12 PM - Thu Feb 23 2017

I can only imagine what type of people are afraid of the idea of getting robbed in-game, that is some next level pussy shit

No one is scared of being robbed. Least of all me. The only people who should be scared are the thieves.

3/4/2017 6:34:30 PM #51

As an old Eve Online player all I got to say is.. hardcore = pleasure.

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh

3/5/2017 11:10:37 PM #52

In my county, criminals will be punished by way of fines and hard labor. If they refuse to pay the fines I will take a raid and collect them from the residence of that player. If they refuse to do the hard labor, I will take animals that can - or drive them away with violence if necessary (exile - I'd say evict them but we can't control that, from what I understand).

If the criminal returns despite these actions I would authorize execution by way of presenting my case - to the Duke, or King - who might then grant me proper authority to issue said order.

3/6/2017 1:51:40 AM #53

Giving permanent injuries to some criminals would be a... rather radical approach. But I won't give an opinion on the matter.

I always wondered though, what would happen for special cases of criminals? And I mainly mean crimes that do not directly break any law. Like treason/ revealing of national secrets etc. Would the king be able to order a special heavier punishment for such people?

I don't know if this was answered. If not, it might fit in a new topic.

Region: Europe

3/6/2017 2:08:38 AM #54

Posted By Cromulent at 9:07 PM - Fri Mar 03 2017

I can only imagine what type of people are afraid of the idea of getting robbed in-game, that is some next level pussy shit

No one is scared of being robbed. Least of all me. The only people who should be scared are the thieves.

Bro just because your crib got run up last week doesn't mean you're getting get back at em by cutting off a pinky ING

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

3/6/2017 2:13:27 AM #55

The other thing is, is who is deciding these punishments. Even tho this is a sandbox you have to design for and around players ability to abuse mechanics that negatively impact other players.

Such as: stealing an apple = castration aka no heirs.

SBS would have to limit which punishments go with what because that would be pretty OP.

Although this is also my concern for spirit loss punishment. My county won't but what's to stop leaders from just making jail the max penalty for all crime? Hopefully a CB by the NPCs but who knows.

I don't know anymore.

3/6/2017 2:16:04 AM #56

Sending someone to Jail wasn't good enough for OP, he wants to make sure that peasant never steals another apple again by castrating him, his family and any one that ever talked to him

Ask SbS to change your name to Kim Jong Un

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

3/6/2017 3:22:18 AM #57

I wouldn't, mind if kings had some freedom over the severity of the punishments for various crimes. I'd guess that there will be competition between kingdoms, so if there is an unjust justice system, it will make the said kingdom less popular. Also there is the possibility to rebel against a cruel and unjust king.

Professional criminals can't really complain to the king saying g that the justice system is unjust to them, since the purpose of it is to get rid of criminals.

Region: Europe

3/6/2017 3:33:35 AM #58

Posted By OrangeBoy at 02:08 AM - Mon Mar 06 2017

Posted By Cromulent at 9:07 PM - Fri Mar 03 2017

Bro just because your crib got run up last week doesn't mean you're getting get back at em by cutting off a pinky ING

I have no idea what any of that meant. Please speak English.

This thread amuses me. I originally started it as a bit of a joke to see how ridiculous I could be when coming up with punishments for criminals but people seem to have taken me seriously so I guess I'll just roll with it.

I'm looking forward to dealing with criminals and deviants in the game. I think it will add some fun to otherwise boring passages of play.

3/6/2017 5:15:42 AM #59

Deafen them.

Cut out their tongue.

Cut off their hands and feet.

For really bad criminals - all of the above.

Decapitation.

Castration so they won't get any heirs.

Forced removal of children so they can't inherit the criminals goods and title.

Brand them with a hot iron.

The only one of these I think have merit is the branding one (though I guess cutting out one's tongue isn't too over the top either I guess), but even that I think would only be alright if it was reserved for a character that was a habitual repeat offender - akin to a three strikes rule - thus giving the deviant player the choice to relocate towns/regions before risking such a fate if caught one too many times in their current locale.

But then though there is the issue that if such a punishment mechanic was to make it into the game who's to say that a governing body won't simply be heavy handed with it and brand everybody for the slightest infraction, without any prior warnings (though I guess that in itself is a motivator to drive a storyline of rebellion over such abuse, I don't know maybe it'll work out - maybe revolts will have a place in the game regarding Casus Belli and the Dance of Dynasties, who knows).

Castrating someone or taking away someone's heirs though is way over the line. I understand high risk, high reward (half the fun in undertaking deviant behaviour, both in RL and IG, is the gambling high of the risk), but messing around with someone's ability to reincarnate into their family line is beyond punishing the character, it's just blatantly punishing the player. I find this more heinous than the physical crippling options given for the "really bad criminal" above it.

Lets not forget that not all deviant players are going to be trolls, some are just roleplaying (whether as a full-on rper or casually as a rpg gamer) a deviant character. I understand the want to punish/restrain those who engage in deviant behaviour just to be arseholes, but let us not go around throwing the baby out with the bathwater in doing so.

I don't know I think for most crimes reparations (financial or service, to the wronged party or to the community), public shaming and restrainment (e.g. flogging, pillory, stocks, etc), perhaps some jail time (if they work out a system to make it engaging) and/or banishment, together with the hit in spirit loss and reputation with the passing of the sentence, should be fine in providing adequate risk for a deviant's reward.

A thought about branding (which I'm not totally opposed to, within reason), you could replicate the same thing to a degree with using a "scarlet letter" like device on a criminal, perhaps a neck manacle with a sign or symbol hanging off it advertising the players crime and generating negative impacts with that player's interactions with NPCs and OPCs.

Imgur Imgur

3/7/2017 8:28:05 AM #60

A good punishment would be cutting off a criminal's hands. Good luck stealing without hands, SUCKER

ayy lmao