COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Locking our package to particular server

If I understood correctly, we have to lock our package and associated rewards to a particular server before there are any actual servers up. This bothers me, because I live on the edge of the world and my mates are all playing on a server that isn't the closest 2. My plan was, before hearing this, to ping each server and evaluate the best place for me to play, or if playing with my mates was even realistic for a game like this.

Why would we be locked into a particular server without being able to test performance first? This forces my decision early, such that I would have to choose my closest and squash all of the community building up to this point.

EDIT

Just thought my ping tests might interest those arguing one way and other other. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/210987376753901573/285906527120785409/unknown.png

If you would like a breakdown:

*Amazon's ping service has my ping on W about half that of E. Which was to be expected. W is also more consistent unsurprisingly.

*Google's service has both of my pings to be shit and they typically stay very near the same value, regardless of the server.

*My average ping is lower on East, using either service.

This data was gathered over at least a week. Testing weekdays, weekends, different times of day and with different things going on with my internet/computer (although typicallly done with just staring at these tests wondering what the hell is going on with my ping).

... ...
2/26/2017 11:03:39 AM #46

Posted By Gunnlang at 05:57 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 9:44 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Posted By Gunnlang at 11:50 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

Posted By OrangeBoy at 1:10 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Well, you APAC people let me know how 400+ ping feels

Where are you pulling 400 ping from? Unless there are Aussies playing on EU servers, then sure that be funny watching them try play. But surely no one would try play on a server that far away.

300-400 is what NA-W players usually get when they use AWS to test their ping to Australia so its valid.

I did a ping test with google servers. Sure NAE was higher. But NAW1 was 180. Two and three were 200. So still not sure how you can add on 100-200.

https://gyazo.com/b7451fba8a3b33a81fe6178c420f197b

That's from NA-E. Take off 96ms to make up for the NA-E to NA-W difference and its still over 300ms.

I don't know anymore.

2/26/2017 12:48:36 PM #47

>Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 9:44 PM - Sun Feb 26

That's from NA-E. Take off 96ms to make up for the NA-E to NA-W difference and its still over 300ms.

So you are proving your point by connecting to apac servers? When your net could be who knows how good.. haha. Not like I should expect anything better from you.

More so when I just said what I get from that test. Why do I even bother.

2/26/2017 2:05:48 PM #48

Posted By Gunnlang at 07:48 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

>Posted By Wicked FlamezZ at 9:44 PM - Sun Feb 26

So you are proving your point by connecting to apac servers? When your net could be who knows how good.. haha. Not like I should expect anything better from you.

More so when I just said what I get from that test. Why do I even bother.

Yeah Google fibers's pretty shit internet tbh.

I don't know anymore.

2/26/2017 2:24:21 PM #49

@Drtank

Yes it does answer the OPs question.

Caspain said to use the link provided to test your ping. That is how SBS is telling people to find the closest server. Which is EXACTLY what the OP is about. Can you imagine the chaos it would cause to allow people to pledge on one server and play through the alpha experiences only to decide on day 1 of launch their ping is too high to allow them to play and move servers?

We were all told how to test our ping (I believe this was a thing back before the duel NA servers were announced what 3 months ago?) told what would happen if we played where the latency was too great and told why people have to stick with 1 server per pledge by the head of SBS.

Sounds like it was answered every way possible and because it's not the answer a handful of people want it gets asked again?

God forbid I actually agree with Wicked but looks like he's right and there is some serious denial going on.

That said believe me I get how bad it sucks not being able to play with those you've made friends with. Being geographically undesirable is horrible and I truely wish there was a way to fix it. But given the tech SBS is using per the owner and head of the studio there isn't anything they can do.

Asking multiple times won't change the answer.

2/26/2017 5:42:04 PM #50

Posted By Ortherion at 6:56 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

Caspian answered this like 4 times already, I just think some people don't like the answer.

I think it shows a lot of contempt and disrespect to state that. You have no idea what the motivations of some of the posters asking that question are. Maybe it's a matter of understanding or interpreting some of the things that were said. Maybe it's a more intimate understanding of how the client-server paradigm works. Who knows.

They will be using Google cloud ping California, Sydney, Belgium and USA East Coast and you got your answer.

Over 100ms and you will not be happy with the game response.

Caspian stated multiple times pick your closet Server.

The problem that most of you fail to understand is that there are no reliable tool to establish what the ping will be. None whatsoever.

I also wish some of the posters here would take time to read the thread before posting and re-posting the exact same Caspian quotes.

2/26/2017 5:43:47 PM #51

Posted By Malais at 09:24 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

@Drtank

[...] Asking multiple times won't change the answer.

I still have to see an actual quote to what you mention. And no, that isn't the Caspian quote that was already posted 3 times in the previous pages.

WHAT Caspian actually said in that quote is :

1. here's what we expect to be the "playable" range
  2. that could change
  3. you should play on your regional server

But. Nowhere is there a proven and reliable way to establish actual ping. Closest server yes, actual ping to compare to Caspian's estimate, no.

2/26/2017 6:09:14 PM #52

Australians have it tough man... Right there hanging beside the Asia continent. You poor mofos

"...When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." ~Chief Tecumseh

2/26/2017 6:31:01 PM #53

Posted By Landsraad at 12:09 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Australians have it tough man... Right there hanging beside the Asia continent. You poor mofos

Aye, they do have it a bit rough. But They will survive, they have the outback after all.

2/26/2017 6:44:56 PM #54

Looks like it will be NA-E for me.

2/26/2017 6:56:10 PM #55

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 11:43 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

@Drtank

I still have to see an actual quote to what you mention. And no, that isn't the Caspian quote that was already posted 3 times in the previous pages.

2. that could change

But. Nowhere is there a proven and reliable way to establish actual ping. Closest server yes, actual ping to compare to Caspian's estimate, no.

During the NA server split discussion cloudping was given to everyone via discord by I believe Tori or maybe Caspian himself honestly don't recall happened back in sept 2016. We were all asked to use it to ping each site they planned on using including NA e and west. Since that point cloudping has been the gold standards when testing each server for all of us.

This has been reposted by multiple mods and superfans.

I'm sorry if you choose not to believe those of us who are trying to help you. But in reality doesn't matter how you swing it. Caspian has stated (and been quoted) as saying play on your local server. If he was in Australia he would play on the oceanic server.

Choosing not to listen or believe what you've already been told and demanding the CEO and head of the studio tell you personally which server to play on is entirely out of line and truthfully akin to stamping your foot and demanding you get your way.

Bottom line final thought and all that. You've been told by people trying to help you that it will not be fun joining a non local server. But the choice is yours. We have zero desire to see you or anyone else not have fun in COE but we can only show you the quotes, research and physics behind the systems in place. If you chose to ignore that or not believe us that is on you. Play where you wish but don't complain when you die before you even see the enemy (per caspian) because of high latency.

2/26/2017 7:03:04 PM #56

Posted By Malais at 3:56 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Posted By HolyAvengerOne at 11:43 AM - Sun Feb 26 2017

@Drtank

2. that could change

During the NA server split discussion cloudping was given to everyone via discord by I believe Tori or maybe Caspian himself honestly don't recall happened back in sept 2016. We were all asked to use it to ping each site they planned on using including NA e and west. Since that point cloudping has been the gold standards when testing each server for all of us.

This has been reposted by multiple mods and superfans.

I'm sorry if you choose not to believe those of us who are trying to help you. But in reality doesn't matter how you swing it. Caspian has stated (and been quoted) as saying play on your local server. If he was in Australia he would play on the oceanic server.

Choosing not to listen or believe what you've already been told and demanding the CEO and head of the studio tell you personally which server to play on is entirely out of line and truthfully akin to stamping your foot and demanding you get your way.

Bottom line final thought and all that. You've been told by people trying to help you that it will not be fun joining a non local server. But the choice is yours. We have zero desire to see you or anyone else not have fun in COE but we can only show you the quotes, research and physics behind the systems in place. If you chose to ignore that or not believe us that is on you. Play where you wish but don't complain when you die before you even see the enemy (per caspian) because of high latency.

Agreed, you guys complain too much about obvious things. If you don't want high latency/ping just play in your regional or closest server. Problem solved.

2/26/2017 7:15:47 PM #57

Why do people say that we don't understand motive? Motive isn't going to change physics. I posted a thread months ago about being able to play with my friends from Japan and it isn't going to happen. I'm not gonna be in denial over t and demand exact pings because I don't believe the entire non-APAC community. So I get the motive, I used to want to play with someone across the globe as well. It doesn't mean I'm gonna be in denial until I get a 100% yes/no. The only players really going against this is a vocal minority of APAC and some players who want to play with global friends.

Usually when a dev literally "strongly encourages" something it means your stupid not to. I almost wish they had a community manager that un-sugar coats what he says or he went back to vintage savage Caspian. Although he gets way less backlash nowadays he is way less upfront about what needs to be said.

Gunnlang's ping being 180-200ms while not processing game data on either end means that he is going to be 200+ while playing. over DOUBLE the designed for ping for gameplay. 100ms was the MAX design limit and your going past that AND double....

Using common sense..... what does doubling a maximum value of anything usually do? Because in my experience it usually ends bad. Logically in your guys mind how does it make sense to double the maximum ping and expect meaningful gameplay???

That's like specs showing you that the max your PC can handle is medium at 30fps and you turn all the settings to ultra. RIP FPS and RIP gameplay.

I don't know anymore.

2/26/2017 8:35:53 PM #58

@Drtank

Yes it does answer the OPs question.

Caspain said to use the link provided to test your ping. That is how SBS is telling people to find the closest server. Which is EXACTLY what the OP is about. Can you imagine the chaos it would cause to allow people to pledge on one server and play through the alpha experiences only to decide on day 1 of launch their ping is too high to allow them to play and move servers?

We were all told how to test our ping (I believe this was a thing back before the duel NA servers were announced what 3 months ago?) told what would happen if we played where the latency was too great and told why people have to stick with 1 server per pledge by the head of SBS.

Sounds like it was answered every way possible and because it's not the answer a handful of people want it gets asked again?

God forbid I actually agree with Wicked but looks like he's right and there is some serious denial going on.

That said believe me I get how bad it sucks not being able to play with those you've made friends with. Being geographically undesirable is horrible and I truely wish there was a way to fix it. But given the tech SBS is using per the owner and head of the studio there isn't anything they can do.

Asking multiple times won't change the answer.

They never once mentioned a link? where are you getting this link information from? You are saying that we all got told but every post I have seen about this is the exact same quote with no detailed information from the dev team as to where or how to test our ping. Maybe this is old information that no one has dredged up but those older members around know about it?

You are not helping by just continuing to say "this is denial, use the link" and not providing a quote from the dev team with the link.

The second post you guys gave us is something we can work with to find the information. Thank you for that, now we can work forward to find the exact quote regarding this.

2/26/2017 8:39:26 PM #59

I am posting a message to CoE on discord to get their attention to verify the claims to use cloud ping. There is no permanent documentation from the dev team regarding this and quite frankly the conversation is on a downward spiral.

and I want to drop this network map here for people saying that the choice should be obvious. Its the network map for a major ISP

http://www.usg.edu/galileo/skills/unit07/images/0701map.jpg

2/26/2017 8:40:44 PM #60

Posted By DrTank09 at 3:39 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

I am posting a message to CoE on discord to get their attention to verify the claims to use cloud ping. There is no permanent documentation from the dev team regarding this and quite frankly the conversation is on a downward spiral.

I think the updates section of the CoE discord is a pretty permanent documentation but ok?

I don't know anymore.

... ...