COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Some thoughts on some of the weapon and castle designs of Elyria shown so far

Hi all!

I have only just started getting into CoE and i want to interact more with the community at large. In this, my first post, i would just like to perhaps start a discussion upon the designs in the Elyria screenshots we have been shown so far. I feel that it is important in such a realism driven game to discuss the visual realism as well as the mechanical realism. Here are some of the things i have thought about so far.

Tl;dr for those of you who want it: Axe Blades are too thick and massive compared to the other weapons The shields have too much metal on them which would serve no purpose and are a bit too massive as well The castle towers and gates are a bit underwhelming i think

Now back to the discussion!

From the screenshots i have see a problem in the game's axe and shield designs. Now, just to clarify, i'm not a blacksmith, however i have a great interest in history, as well as a solid education in the subject. I am not an expert but i think i would bring them up for the sake of discussion, if you feel that i am wrong, as long as you are civil, i will look at your retorts. Anyway, i feel that the axes are too big. The axe heads are massive compared to the people who are supposed to use them and compared to the other weapons displayed besides them. While axes used to cut down trees are usually big their defense oriented brothers are generally not. The blades themselves would generally shaped to cut and dig deep into the flesh. The size that these axes would impair this function. Of Course the bigger mass of the blade would give the axe blow more oomph, but if you just want a great bit of metal on a stick you should probably use a mace instead.

Secondly, as previously mentioned, i feel that the shields we have been shown aren't quite realistic, i think. The shape of them is alright, however the way they are constructed is a bit suspect. Most medieval shields would generally use planks of wood with a rim and or cover of leather or other sturdy materials. Then they, generally, would have a metal piece in the center of the shield. Note that this is only when the user is supposed to grab the shield from the inside and have their hand inside of the dome of metal, and for parrying. Now, what does the shield in Elyria do wrong? let's take the small buckler type shield first. The small shield shown on one of the official screenshot has a round core of wood, however it is the metalwork which make question the design. There is simply too much metal on the shield! It has a very small dome as well as metal stretching out as girders on the shields. These wouldn't help the structural integrity of a well made shield and would weigh the shield down considerably without much benefit. There are also crescent shaped extrusion jutting out to the rim of the shield. Much like the girders they don't really do much and probably hinders the effectiveness of such a small shield designed for speed and maneuverability. The large round shield also shown is a better design however some of the same problems appear. The metalwork on the front of the shield is a nice touch but again it would not a much to a shield which is properly made. From the screenshots it also appears as though the shield is a little bit on the thick side, this might be my eyes deceiving me however.

• Lastly on this essay of immense ego-stroking i would like to only slightly criticise the designs of the castle that we have gotten screenshots on. While not bad by any means i feel that it could be better. There are many small points i want to get across so i just write them in a list.

• The pine cone towers, as magnificent as they are, are not quite up to snuff in the defense category. They do not have defensive crenelations on the top and they way the edges are made the attackers could take cover under the tower.

• The defensive crenelations on the walls and gate towers are better but it seems that they are not properly proportioned. Real crenelations are usually up to waist in the gaps and well above head level on the tall parts. Now, we don’t see a character up on the walls so i am, not sure whether they are the right height, but it seems as if the lowest and tallest parts are too close to be optimal.

• Lastly the main gate that leads out into the town is pretty weaksauce. It is only one wooden grate and that is pretty lame. Historical castles usually had one or two pairs of doors as well as wooden or iron grates in front or behind the doors. In the space between the first pair of doors and grate combo was usually a space. This space had walls and a roof, from the roof and walls there were arrow slits and murder holes which the defender could use to attack the attacker while they are trying to break down the second grate and door.

So in conclusion. I like what i have seen from the screenshots and these things i have pointed out are mostly nitpicks. The intent of my post is not to be harsh and cynical but instead just bringing up things i find strange or weird. Still, i appreciate all constructive feedback and i hope that my post has made you think about the designs of the things, even if you don’t agree with my points.

Thanks for reading! I hope i haven’t bored you out of your mind. I will probably write more of these when more screenshots and gameplay videos are available. If you enjoyed this post please comment, i enjoy feedback on all aspects of my post!

2/24/2017 8:59:21 PM #1

Welcome! I like the style of what we've seen s far very much. With that said I agree with you on the specific details you mention.

• The axe heads (shown on the merchant's table) do look much too big, or not all to the same scale. The halberd looks quite small.
  • The shield in the same picture seems to be a single layer of wood planks with no covering or edging, which would greatly weaken it, while the metal fittings serve little purpose (strap attachment perhaps, but there are too many). That said, looking at the very basic, flat boss and plain textures I'm sure it's a placeholder/WIP.
  • The buckler, also agree.

The "castle" looks more like a town wall to me so I wouldn't expect to see a fiendishly designed medieval castle. That said it's true the towers don't look up to much. No arrow slits either?

Overall though what we've seen looks great. Very, very happy with the style they've gone with.

2/24/2017 9:09:25 PM #2

Yes, now that i think about it those walls may not be deisgned to be as effective or impressive as a fort or castle. Though i still feel that the towers are a bit too bad at defense.

Anyway, thanks for the feedbak Alricj!

2/24/2017 9:19:45 PM #3

The pinecone towers are what get me. I'm sorry but I just think they look ridiculous.

2/24/2017 9:26:28 PM #4

Yeah, they are quite silly. I can accept them more however since they are SO outlandish they enter their own reality of sillyness.

2/24/2017 10:25:32 PM #5

The axe is a pickaxe used for whacking stone, it's being used as a weapon also though. No point carrying a pickaxe for stone and then another axe for fighting, might aswell use the same device for two jobs. Thus the "weapon" is of a special design and are you kidding me on the shields? it's a basic animation, the shields not been properly designed yet, they're simply showing how the shield would be animated.

PS: I like the pinecone towers.

2/25/2017 12:34:03 AM #6

About the size of axes and thickness of shields...

As I understand blacksmiths can have more or less skill, and have some freedom in crafting their own weapons.

Now, what I would guess is that several blacksmiths would offer you weapons of different sizes, different material, and also different price, and you would then chose how much you want to pay and how efficient weapon you want to get.

So if you wish cheap wooden shield (with useless metal ornaments) that will break on the first impact go for it. :) And if you wish to pay more for quality and more logically and efficiently crafted shield, go for that one.

Same goes for axes, maces, etc.

Just my two cents on how it should be.

2/25/2017 5:36:03 PM #7

Yeah, i see your point. That could be what they could becwhat they could be going for. Though i think it is wierd that all the weapon design where really good, exept for the shields an axes. It made me think that the devs maybe had not researched axe design as much as sword or armor design.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts

2/25/2017 5:38:28 PM #8

Posted By Gothix at 12:34 AM - Sat Feb 25 2017

About the size of axes and thickness of shields...

As I understand blacksmiths can have more or less skill, and have some freedom in crafting their own weapons.

Now, what I would guess is that several blacksmiths would offer you weapons of different sizes, different material, and also different price, and you would then chose how much you want to pay and how efficient weapon you want to get.

So if you wish cheap wooden shield (with useless metal ornaments) that will break on the first impact go for it. :) And if you wish to pay more for quality and more logically and efficiently crafted shield, go for that one.

Same goes for axes, maces, etc.

Just my two cents on how it should be.

Exactly this. Well said.

2/25/2017 6:14:10 PM #9

this game isn't based on medieval earth exclusively, as long as the weapons don't bug out or are totally out of porportion. I don't see the issue

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

2/25/2017 6:27:49 PM #10

Until we start seeing shoulder pads bigger than most torsos, i'm not too worried about the aesthetics of the design.

2/25/2017 6:52:38 PM #11

I hope they only have 1 pinecone when it gets to launch. Unless there is some reason there are pinecones eg. Pinecone is local coat of arms

2/25/2017 8:01:03 PM #12

I can't speak about axes and shields, but what I will speak about are the castle and its walls, and I'll be agreeing with you a lot on this topic.

Machicolations the gap between the wall and the floor so archers and such can shoot down, giving them an advantage.

Hoards are the wooden version of this.

What really gets to me is that they already have the models in for machicolations, they actually already made them, the problem is that they don't actually work.

If the image is too large then see the full image here

Normally you build hoards if there aren't any machicolations, they serve the function of shooting straight down as most walls were just straight vertical with no extensions at the top. And I can only agree 100% on the size of the Crenels and Merlons they do seem too small, especially when I checked with the door, here's an image of how they look right now: If the picture is too big then click here and here is (if we're going with a medieval setting) how it would rather look For larger version Disclaimer, I did also make the "entrance" longer, you want it to be easily defensible with murderholes and preferably two or more gates + portcullises

I do hope the developers will "test" the "defenses" of a stronghold out, see if they can make the best possible stronghold, try to see what works and what doesn't, like "Do I need to jump up on the wall to hit enemies beneath, and can that be solved by extending the wall" etc.

One thing worth mentioning is that what works in reality might not work in games, though I do hope we'll see towers with doors (used to split walls into smaller sections, so if they're taken the attackers won't gain too much of an advantage) and the elevation of walls, and also just "tall gatehouses" etc. things that makes people want to build a wall, because if there's not enough positives to building a wall most will most likely just put down a wooden wall and not bother with a stone one if it doesn't matter in the end (You want to be able to defend a castle with as few men as possible)

• For those saying this is more of a walled in city, there's no definitive definition of a castle as the lord chose what he wanted in it, so if a lord wanted a whole town in it, if he could effort it he would put it in, so this is definitely a castle.)

• I like the Pine cone Towers, I think they look very iconic, people will remember things that stick out a bit easier ;P

Edit: Also on the term of gates, I do admit the gate does look a bit big, and there can definitely come more than 1 wagon/carriage/caravan through, but I don't know how big some of the animals will be, but it could easily shrink to half its size, you want to keep it as small as possible as it's the only "weak point" in your defenses. (Unless we see that making holes in walls will be much easier than we intended, which was really hard back in the middle ages, almost impossible even.)

2/25/2017 9:51:39 PM #13

I, too, feel like machicolations, as well as arrow slits, should be added in the game, i accidentaly forgot about them while writing my post.

One thought i had is if they might lock more "advanced" defensive designs behind research? Machiculations only appeared in the later medieval era so they might not want it to appear in the beggining of the mmo's lifespan. However if they do that they should remove the stone hoardings on the walls until you research machiculations.

They could also make wooden hoardings a separate structure that could built on top of walls until further research makes them obsolete. Just a thought though.

I also agree that they might have to compromise realism to make sure that walls are not too easy or hard to assault/destroy. Although, properly built castle walls where usually very sturdy so they might want walled cities and strongholds to be hard to take. Again just a thought.

Anywho, i really enjoyed reading your post, Liva! Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive awnser!

2/25/2017 10:03:14 PM #14

@Googlestalcer I can see Arrow slits being a bit of a problem since you play in 3rd person, and shooting through a tight, small, hole might not be the most fun, especially if you are to aim.

• One thing to remember is that Elyria does not mirror earth, this can be seen by the designs etc. clothing and so on and so forth, they advance differently, it's low fantasy, not historical. If we were to go back in time in the early medieval era we wouldn't have buttons, the shoes you see, the clothing, there's a bunch of stuff they would need to completely change. But I think that since they implemented "Machiculations" that they might as well go the extra and actually make them use-able instead of purely aesthetic, everything is a "response" to something, machiculations is a response to not being able to shoot straight down.

• Another important thing is to make it fun, walls are generally a bit "OP" in the sense that sieges became "Starve them out" or someone (a spy) would open the backdoor and let the army in etc. that was how the majority of sieges were won, now I wouldn't mind it if sieges were like that, but that's entirely up to SBS. Real castles only needed a handful of men to defend against several hundred. But they're not going for realism for the "Sake" of realism.

I enjoyed reading yours too :) And I welcome you to the forums! :D! I think you make some good points and it was an enjoyable read. :3

2/25/2017 10:51:19 PM #15

Hmm, yeah third person might make it difficult to shot through arrow slits and small machiculations, didn't think of that, @Liva.

When it comes to the fun factor of walls i also see the problems of too "OP" walls. There isn't really a correct awnser since every person is gonna feel differently. However, since SBS is trying to make CoE's mechanics be somewhat realistic and "make intuitive sense". i feel that it would only make sense for the mechanics of walls/static defenses to mirror the mechanics and value of walls in real life. Exactly how they should do this i don't know. In the end i am happy as long as the mechanics are well developed and offers the players multiple options on how to deal with. It would be sweet if you could assault, infiltrate or starve the defenders and have them all be viable tactics. Again how they will manage to do that, i have no clue.

And once again, thanks for the comments, I really appreciate all the feedback i've gotten from everyone so far, it's really nice to be with a community that wants to discuss these kinds of things. :)