COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Baronies and Settlements

So I have been doing my due diligence before purchasing the Mayor package, and have been working on a backstory, goals, etc. I am curious though as to the number of settlements within the borders of a barony. Will it only be one, or as a barony and its primary settlement expand, will smaller hamlets and villages develop within its borders?

2/25/2017 10:48:39 AM #1

A baron is a military mayor, his settlement is the garrison of the county or duchy. You can only become a mayor, but your duke makes you a baron.

2/25/2017 11:56:06 AM #2

I understand that, but in the historical context a barony was a territory that often contained more than one settlement. One would serve as the baronial seat, while other, smaller settlements would serve a variety of purposes. My question was whether or not additional settlements could develop under the authority of a baron, or a mayor as you pointed out.

2/25/2017 12:06:30 PM #3

Yes, so the way that settlement ownership occurs is that the majority land owner of the settlement is able to vote in mayors. Your position gives you the unique opportunity to purchase land for the state in your titles name, thus allowing you to become majority land owner by title. The land gets transferred with the title in this way, but how the purchasing of the land required to make the settlement works is up for you and your liege lord to decide

2/25/2017 12:33:52 PM #4

Posted By Nyhtfall at 12:56 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

I understand that, but in the historical context a barony was a territory that often contained more than one settlement. One would serve as the baronial seat, while other, smaller settlements would serve a variety of purposes. My question was whether or not additional settlements could develop under the authority of a baron, or a mayor as you pointed out.

The answer so far is NO, Caspian said that you can rule only from one place and as such any single character can only run one and only one settlement.

2/25/2017 12:43:28 PM #5

Posted By markof at 12:33 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

Posted By Nyhtfall at 12:56 PM - Sat Feb 25 2017

The answer so far is NO, Caspian said that you can rule only from one place and as such any single character can only run one and only one settlement.

Though you can also buy plots and buildings as an individual, so there's nothing stopping you being a Baron, but having some private land ie a little hamlet serving as a gathering / supply point 20 mins out of your town? :)

2/25/2017 12:49:09 PM #6

Counties work similar to historic baronies in this game, mayors and barons will govern settlements within a county, which is ruled by a noble who's role it is to expand infrastructure and levy taxes from mayors, while barons protect the count's lands, funded by the Duke.

There is some crossover between the titles but those're their main focuses.