COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Question: Why did you join Chronicles of Elyria

Out of sheer curiosity I wanted to know what drives others into this epic game.

2/25/2017 4:38:26 PM #1

I've been at a hiatus gaming wise for a while, very bored. Googling along the lines of "Next big full loot MMO" eventually got me here.

I nearly skipped past CoE due to the real lack of material out there. An hour reading this forum sold it to me though. Whether the game turns out to be as good as the communities desire to make it work remains to be seen, but it has the best vibe about it that I've felt for a long time.

2/25/2017 5:07:32 PM #2

Yeah similar to prima. I just googled upcoming MMOs because have an itch that havent been able to scratch for long time. Was amazed this game is in planning especially considering how it has the majority of things Ive always wished from a game.

Most importantly:
• A game with both RTS and Combat elements (Ive always thought my favourite game would be one where one person could see an RTS style map and give orders etc, but each unit was player controlled making the game very unpredictable, It isnt exactly that but definitely the closest)
• A game that was realistic in the strength of characters where level 10 isnt just better than level 1. In real life no one is entirely better than another, a young man has stamina but an old one has wisdom/experience. Its the constant change that makes things interesting
• Finite resources, similar to last point. Things are just too unrealistic if there are unlimited things and its impossible for new players to match them and the game becomes stale fast.

2/25/2017 5:26:12 PM #3

Often I had discussion with my gaming friends what would be perfect game if we were to design the concept for, we would talk for hours on end about it, and COE is closest match, pretty much nerd wet dream , there is impact on the world, consequences for actions, emergent game play is limitless, if COE is success it will radically change what we think video games are all about

2/25/2017 5:31:23 PM #4

I'm into MMO since years. However CoE is the first game to truly amaze me in years. After I heard from it from a forum I knew it would be different and I knew this would be a game for me. That's why I joined the train towards CoE.

2/25/2017 6:14:51 PM #5

Came for the game, stayed for the forums

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

2/27/2017 4:00:48 PM #6

I got really into Black Desert for a short while, but after not too long of playing it, it felt kind of empty and "grind" centered to level up. I also really love the realistic elements of this game and the kingdom base and bloodlines/genetics mechanics.

2/27/2017 4:10:39 PM #7

Only MMO I found where I could be an actual detective.

2/27/2017 4:12:24 PM #8

The combination of design features. Especially these (more or less in order) ....

The combination of perma-death and family trees

open world sandbox

player run towns/kingdoms

open PVP

It's probably the least WOW thing I've seen. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed WOW for a while but it started seeming like most of the games coming out were trying to outWOW WOW instead of doing something innovative.

If they deliver 60% of what they are promising, COE will be amazing.

The Adventurer's Guild of Vornair

3/7/2017 8:14:16 AM #9

The perma-death mechanic is what initially drew me to the game.

ayy lmao

3/7/2017 8:19:21 AM #10

I was working on a mod for Dwarf Fortress regarding component-based crafting mechanics. That phrase led me to Elyria. Recognizing the name from a post I saw on another website that simply stated that you were going to have to pay per life, I decided to actually look into the game. (it had terrible PR in the beginning)

After reading through every dev journal and binge watching the QnA's over the course of three days, I joined the forum, liked the community, and decided to join a group. Ashland has become a home for me, the people are great, intellectual, and optimistic. This has only spurred me on to increase the community's numbers and create an organization that promotes good, sustainable practices in-game and charitable character both in and out.

3/14/2017 1:49:31 PM #11

I like the family system. I feel like this is the first game in awhile that may really be built for roleplayers.

3/14/2017 2:21:24 PM #12

Posted By Mythos Cardan at 11:26 AM - Sat Feb 25 2017

Often I had discussion with my gaming friends what would be perfect game if we were to design the concept for, we would talk for hours on end about it, and COE is closest match, pretty much nerd wet dream , there is impact on the world, consequences for actions, emergent game play is limitless, if COE is success it will radically change what we think video games are all about

^ Ditto

3/14/2017 2:34:18 PM #13

I first heard of Elyria back in 2015. I was done with the Theme Park, Sand Park type MMOs, and wanted something more along the lines of SWG (Pre-NGE).

Some searches for Open world, Sandbox MMO's on google lead me here, and I've stayed ever since! CoE looks to be the replacement MMO for my dearly loved Star Wars Galaxies. It lacks the IP, but it has the mechanics and game play ideas behind it to really give me the style of game I've wanted since 2011!

The fact that it will be Player Skill based more than Character Skill based, full "What you see is what you get" loot, the Soulborn Engine, and a fully player run economy really appeal to me! I hate Vertical Gear grinds and static leveling systems. I also hate daily quests, repeatable quests, and on rails BS! So, CoE fits the bill as described!

3/14/2017 2:38:11 PM #14

my first thought was "ur mom". But seriously, there's no good games out there right now. I just hope this game is what it says it is.

3/14/2017 3:27:38 PM #15

I have been trying to find a mmo like swg, since the CU update. Ive always been a fan of skill based system over a level system, add in all the rest of the awesomeness about CoE got me hyped easily.

Kingdom: Alesia
Duchy: Rhyddid
County: Draken's Landing
Settlement: Drakenshire