COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Evil Kings just like the good old days

So do people expect there to be any evil royalty? There were a decent amount of nobles who would kill or torture for fun because there was no consequence.

maybe a Secret Dungeon in the back room?

2/26/2017 3:56:30 PM #1

If there are any NPC kings, sure. The engine should allow for that.

PC kings, I bet not. Not sure anyone has the gumption to pay 10k+ and gamble on their crown that hard. There is a lot of hugs and love with most of the kings it seems, but it is too early to make any enemies. It would be entertaining, but not wise.

As to dungeons, every mickey mouse and their brother will try. Who more than kings who will have the necessary money/resources at their disposal.

2/26/2017 3:58:23 PM #2

There was a consequence just as there will be in game. You don't stay royalty just because of your name. If you lose enough support, you lose your head soon after.

2/26/2017 4:02:49 PM #3

I would think that many NPCs as well as players would leave the kingdom if the ruler is unjust, cruel, or just greedy. The Nobility may be stuck but the commoner can certainly more along to another kingdom which would really put a strain on things. So I imagine most player run kingdoms will be a somewhat softer than you would expect from reality from the old days.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

2/26/2017 4:17:24 PM #4

Yeah its what I imagine to happen. Though in reality it wasnt really possible. Moving home is too expensive especially when you are considered in servitude. In Elyria people are technically free. The only way I can imagine it happening if it was to particular people eg. criminals, witches, different tribes(if racism is a mechanic in the game).

2/26/2017 4:40:53 PM #5

Isn't there some kind of fame system in place meaning if the people start to dislike you such as the NPC's they'll turn on you.

2/26/2017 4:51:11 PM #6

It would only maybe work in a very RP heavy kingdom. IRL people had no choice, if you rallied against the evil king you could die and there isn't another spark or spirit walk so a lot of commoners just wished it wasn't them next. I can't see people being afraid of "death" in this game like you are in real life. So an evil king will face so much opposition.

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

2/26/2017 6:15:23 PM #7

I think there will most certainly be evil corrupt kings/dukes/counts maybe not torture chambers but autocratic behaviour such as corrupting the court system to use as a weapon against people they don't like or having a team of secret police which are willing to break the law like burning down houses, killing Npc relatives or just murder of people who speak out against their leader.

The fact is power brings out the worst in some people. Will it negatively affect their kingdom/duchy/county? Yeah most certainly, it is logically probably a stupid way to behave however people often do not behave logically but emotionally. Would people just leave? Yeah some would but I think most would stay. The barriers to leaving in the real world also apply in COE. For example Caspian has said different areas speak different languages, that's a large barrier to overcome. Also people get attached to were they grow up. You think a group of friends who got together, formed a town, made new friends, formed a community are just going to get up, try and sell their land and leave? Or business people who have spent years building up their bussiness reputation and contacts in the local area?

It will definitely happen and actually I'm grateful as it will create more opportunities for story. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

2/26/2017 8:38:20 PM #8

What do you define as evil?

Coming Soon(tm)

2/26/2017 10:19:34 PM #9

Posted By CuteLilPuppyDog at 5:51 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

It would only maybe work in a very RP heavy kingdom. IRL people had no choice, if you rallied against the evil king you could die and there isn't another spark or spirit walk so a lot of commoners just wished it wasn't them next. I can't see people being afraid of "death" in this game like you are in real life. So an evil king will face so much opposition.

So there'll actually be a "fame" system in the game, the more reputation you have the higher your spirit hit, so if a king dies (coup-de-graced) he might perma-die by just being killed once. Where if a person with little fame dies he will be able to die plenty more times, this is the "risk/reward", and the higher your position in nobility, the higher the fame and therefore the higher the penalty for dieing. So I think they'll be very scared of dieing.

@renzo Corrupting the court system will be almost impossible as far as we know as the person will need to "break a contract" for them to be pulled into court in the first place. (though we're still waiting on more information on the whole punishment/jail system there might be in place)

People can't burn down houses, only in sieges can they burn down houses with siege-weapons, and even then they'll not be able to loot anything in it. This was described back in the day as purely balancing as they don't want people to just go around and burn down stuff.

Also I think "The potential for more power" - brings out the worst in people, greed etc. not having power, I see a lot of good aristocrats/nobility who want to build a good community etc. I think that's taking very broad strokes. But I do think we'll be seeing a lot of drama xD Especially in the dance of dynasties.

2/27/2017 6:19:14 AM #10

I was of the understanding a kingdom has already declared itself to be Lawful Evil (from a video discussion perhaps?), although this would need to be confirmed.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)