COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Hey guys!

I have a question that maybe some people may know the answer too.

When you make a character, it says you'll get to choose between 12, 15 and over 18 years old.

If you choose to start as a 12 year old, which I expect many will as you age and die, as this provides the most play time for stat building, will you have free reign?

For example: If I start as a 12 year old boy, as a ward of the state. It says I'll be in an orphanage Will I have to stay in the orphanage until I come of age? Or will I have free reign to be the tiny warrior (Ankle Bitter) I was born to be?

2/27/2017 5:31:52 AM #1

im sure you will have free reign of what you want to do, the downside to being a ward is more the bloodline/family/inheritance aspect of the game.

Alt text - can be left blank

2/27/2017 6:09:32 AM #2

yeah as a ward your gonna start with the most bare minimum of resources. by starting as a family you'll have npcs taking care of some things for you, generating passive income (upon inheritance. )

also by starting with a ward of the state unless you have children, you wont have a "family" body to jump in to when you die.

2/27/2017 6:16:58 AM #3

Also as a note on age. As far as I have seen, one real world week = one in game year.

So if your spark of life lasts one year of real world time, then your character will live 52 in game years.

the devs have said on average they believe a spark will last 8-14 real work months. so 32 to 60 in game years. Depending on how your character lives. That's average though. if your charcter is well taken care of and never gets killed or incapacitated.

You could live 108 in game year \ weeks. (2 years and 1 month real world time) (start ward at age until 12, and lived to 120)

Depending on how well taken care of the character has been (did you keep them in good physical condition, feed, sleep, ect correctly) they will live to be as old as between 80 and 120 years old.

So starting age wont really impact how long your character lives. but it may control what you can do. As you get older your char wont be able to do physical things like be a front line warrior. But their intelligence goes up, so if your wanting to be a scholar, taking over an older npc who is later in life can be a good thing.

it all depends on what you plan to do with that characters life. As to what is the correct course of action.

2/27/2017 6:43:21 AM #4

Posted By Blankwindow at 10:16 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

Also as a note on age. As far as I have seen, one real world week = one in game year.

So if your spark of life lasts one year of real world time, then your character will live 52 in game years.

the devs have said on average they believe a spark will last 8-14 real work months. so 32 to 60 in game years. Depending on how your character lives. That's average though. if your charcter is well taken care of and never gets killed or incapacitated.

You could live 108 in game year \ weeks. (2 years and 1 month real world time) (start ward at age until 12, and lived to 120)

Depending on how well taken care of the character has been (did you keep them in good physical condition, feed, sleep, ect correctly) they will live to be as old as between 80 and 120 years old.

So starting age wont really impact how long your character lives. but it may control what you can do. As you get older your char wont be able to do physical things like be a front line warrior. But their intelligence goes up, so if your wanting to be a scholar, taking over an older npc who is later in life can be a good thing.

it all depends on what you plan to do with that characters life. As to what is the correct course of action.

I am trying to find out where you got this 2 years RL time from. There has never been any mention of a character living that long IRL time. The only statement is that the high end of the life span will be 14 months which is (If they are in perfect health).

2/27/2017 2:35:31 PM #5

Being a ward or born in a family has its advantages and disadvantages. For example; being ward gives you more freedom to customize and build your character. A "Cleaner Slate" if you will. While being born with a family gives you the resources of that family, but not the full range of character customization, which includes stats.

As for age, I'm not entirely sure how that will factor beyond the realism of it. A 12 year old may not be as effective at fighting, but you may have greater learning capacity.

- Shmuck

2/27/2017 4:04:42 PM #6

Posted By Xearo at 12:43 AM - Mon Feb 27 2017

Posted By Blankwindow at 10:16 PM - Sun Feb 26 2017

I am trying to find out where you got this 2 years RL time from. There has never been any mention of a character living that long IRL time. The only statement is that the high end of the life span will be 14 months which is (If they are in perfect health).

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/347/Design-Journal-3--Time-Aging-and-Offline-Player-Characters

"Lifespan When creating characters in Chronicles of Elyria you enter the world at either age 12, 15, or in some cases over the age of 18. These three ages correspond with different play styles and cater to different overall objectives. We’ll talk more about the differences in a future design journal when we explore Families. In the meantime, it’s important to note that while there are NPC children running around in the world, players always control a character at least twelve years old.

As we discussed in the previous section, Elyrian time passes at a rate of roughly one Elyrian year every four real-world days. This means that there are approximately 90 Elyrian years per Earth year. By default, characters will live a random age somewhere between 80 and 120 years (approximately 10-16 real-world months). While alive or dead may be a Boolean operation, aging is not. Aging is a process that every character goes through that has both visual and gameplay effects."

They've said the average life spawn will be 8-14 months.

I got my two years doing simple math. If the character could live to be 120, and started at 12 = 108 weeks = 2 yr 1 month

however the above dev journal does say 16 months. with 1 yr = 4 real days

So until we know for sure how long time is going to last in game vs real (most recent I have seen is 1 week = 1 yr) this is all guesstimates.

but above is the old information I'm using to make my assumptions combined with newer information. (week to yr)

EDIT: As a note, that is the extreme possibility based on math. But it is only the extreme edge potential. Not something most will likely accomplish.

2/27/2017 6:58:19 PM #7

You're quoting old, out of date info. That is no longer the case. One of the newer posts shows the new numbers.

2/27/2017 8:06:09 PM #8

The wiki hasn't been updated then either.

2/28/2017 1:54:11 AM #9

I'm curious to see how much of a stat difference it'd actually make choosing to start older.

ayy lmao