COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Think there will be a gold rush in CoE?

So, we know that non-renewable resources (metals, minerals, stone etc) will be...well non-renewable and once they are gone they are gone. I see these as being the most important resources to go after once the game launches as things like trees, animals, crops are all renewable.

also, with adverse possession (building on unclaimed or unused land in order to claim it) I could see people building mini mining towns near rich mineral/metal deposits in order to strip all the valuable resources as quickly as possible, and then once it's been mined out, abandoning their plot of land to move on to the next dig site.

Granted, we don't know exactly how many resources may be in the average deposit (would it take one person 2 days or 2 years to mine it all?) but the fact that the resources are limited, the most obvious ones are probably going to be targeted first.

Does anyone else think we'll see a mad rush to gather the rarest and most valuable non-renewable materials right at the start of the game?

2/27/2017 7:25:08 AM #1

I could see this happening... though perhaps with some other mineral depending upon need.

I'm sure there will be a huge push to arm the kingdom's so I imagine iron and steel will be hugely expensive for a little while.

2/27/2017 7:58:25 AM #2

To some extent, yes, but not to sell it. In many cases, seasoned traders will be attempting to control supply to keep prices up and in accordance with demand.

That said, there is a certain gamer mentality to prepare for in exposition. There the trend will most likely be an initial resource grab for crafting trades, so plan ahead :)

Remember plentiful supply means plenty of crafters. If supply drops, prices often rise.

2/27/2017 10:07:24 AM #3

you have to remember that a things are not going to be that easy.

1) real storage

In CoE things take room and as such if you gather ressources you need a place to store them. You can not just go into the wild, find some ressource, gather than go back to town, or in fact you can but with amounts that are not significant.

So if you want to gather and store large amount of ressources, you need to plan and build storages and that take time, organisation, money and diplomacy.

2)Land ownership and availability

Here comes the diplomacy, you sure can go into the wild and start gathering without owning land, but then you are robbing the count, at least, of his wealth and potentially lots of other actors of the business/area, and doing so you oppen yourself to some actions from the count and or the law to kick you out, emprison you, take your things .....

To do it legally, you need to buy the land from the count, so the count must put that land to sell and he might need why first. he might also have his say in who and for what purpose the ressources are going to be gathered.. and for howmuch!

3) Transport and infrastructure

Lets say that you manage to gather and store on site lots of ressources, you now need to move them to where you want to sell or use them, for that you need infrastructures. Roads, bridge, inns or caravancerails and such.

Once again those are count's business, and he will not build them is he is not part of the project; sure you can go without but then your diminishing the effectiveness of the operation.

Also security will play a role and be one of those infrastructures. if you do it without any official support you're on your own facing the dangers of the wild. Again you might want to go on your own and higher mercenaries, but then who can say that the authorities will make a distinction between your armed men and bandits ?

4)Exploration

Elyria is a unknown world that need to be explored, the maps we have are not that great and we need new ones to be made. When new ressources are going to be discovered their location will need to be registered on maps, maps that may not be available to every one depending on who make them. or maps that are traps or false to lure you away from the ressources.

5)Environement

And lastly come the biome, area, where the ressource is found, not every character may be able to live or work properly where the ressource is discovered.

All those points and the endless list of things i have not thought about, are going to limit "gold rush".

gathering and storing ressources is going to be an activity with lost of planning and infrastructure work, in CoE gathering is not going around with a pike or an axe, just like in our world working a mine is going to be a town thing with several miners, a lumber mill is going to involve several workers and lumberjack, one mann operations are going to be a rarity and of such a small scale that they will have no impact on things, except maybe for really valuable and rare ressources where one can get rich with the content of a pocket like precious metal or precious stones, a real gold rush or dimond rush, but for other ressources forget it, they will need full scale operations.

2/27/2017 10:29:10 AM #4

You should perhaps add mining skill to the equation. Presumably like everything else it may take lifetimes to become a master miner, and its not a huge leap to guess that only a master miner will be able to find rare minerals in any quantity. So sure, there will be a mineral rush but perhaps the gold rush will have to wait a generation?

I have no evidence to back that theory btw.

2/27/2017 10:55:46 AM #5

Posted By Primavera at 11:29 AM - Mon Feb 27 2017

You should perhaps add mining skill to the equation. Presumably like everything else it may take lifetimes to become a master miner, and its not a huge leap to guess that only a master miner will be able to find rare minerals in any quantity. So sure, there will be a mineral rush but perhaps the gold rush will have to wait a generation?

I have no evidence to back that theory btw.

You are right, except it will probably be prospector that are needed to find the mineral and miners to extract them.

I do not know to what skill those 2 professions are linked but since they both had diferent starter profession pack, they should be diferent professions :)

What follows is mostly assumption from my part:

We know that gathering professions are also going to be the primary processing ones, so miners are also going to be smelters. It would make sens that the mining skill do not dictate what you can gather because piking rock is piking rock no matter what, but it should tell what smelting you can do, what kind of mine you can build, how deep how strong and such......

2/27/2017 12:33:36 PM #6

I think there will for sure be "Gold Rushes". We'll see the ruins of failed towns, and all kinds of failed outposts for sure! Even if they weren't looking for gold exactly haha.

2/27/2017 2:20:53 PM #7

Absolutely. But maybe not for gold. More likely, at first, for iron or similar non-renewable resources that support infrastructure and military items. There will be a rush for several resources based on current need at the time AND on projected need. Something like gold, in-game, could be useless if it doesn't have a purpose. Or, it could be valuable simply because in real-life we value gold, so players may bring those beliefs of value into the game.

2/27/2017 2:33:13 PM #8

i wonder if the tech tree for R&D of things like prospecting, forestry etc will come into play

ie. we might prospect our entire county at game launch with a low prospecting R&D and find iron, tin, copper and coal and think that's all we have for resources, but there might be silver, gold, or some as of yet unknown resource that can only be discovered by prospecting when the R&D is high enough, and the individual prospector posses that R&D knowledge?

2/27/2017 2:34:42 PM #9

When people asked for katana caspian said we would need metal that could be shaped into a katana. This metal would most likely not be a launch. I'm sure when this metal is discovered there will be a huge rush for it.

2/27/2017 2:38:11 PM #10

or the metal might be an alloy of existing metals that can be discovered through the Smithing R&D tech tree

could be it's a 'special' metal that needs to be turned into an alloy thus requiring adequate R&D in both prospecting and smithing

the complexity and not knowing adds to the intrigue, though once one group discovers it, in all likelihood it gets spread to the rest of the community, much like in r/l

2/27/2017 5:12:36 PM #11

Just remember that all that you gather can be stolen by other players (thieves, raids, invading armies).

2/27/2017 6:41:44 PM #12

Posted By markof at 04:07 AM - Mon Feb 27 2017

you have to remember that a things are not going to be that easy.

1) real storage

In CoE things take room and as such if you gather ressources you need a place to store them. You can not just go into the wild, find some ressource, gather than go back to town, or in fact you can but with amounts that are not significant.

So if you want to gather and store large amount of ressources, you need to plan and build storages and that take time, organisation, money and diplomacy.

2)Land ownership and availability

Here comes the diplomacy, you sure can go into the wild and start gathering without owning land, but then you are robbing the count, at least, of his wealth and potentially lots of other actors of the business/area, and doing so you oppen yourself to some actions from the count and or the law to kick you out, emprison you, take your things .....

To do it legally, you need to buy the land from the count, so the count must put that land to sell and he might need why first. he might also have his say in who and for what purpose the ressources are going to be gathered.. and for howmuch!

3) Transport and infrastructure

Lets say that you manage to gather and store on site lots of ressources, you now need to move them to where you want to sell or use them, for that you need infrastructures. Roads, bridge, inns or caravancerails and such.

Once again those are count's business, and he will not build them is he is not part of the project; sure you can go without but then your diminishing the effectiveness of the operation.

Also security will play a role and be one of those infrastructures. if you do it without any official support you're on your own facing the dangers of the wild. Again you might want to go on your own and higher mercenaries, but then who can say that the authorities will make a distinction between your armed men and bandits ?

4)Exploration

Elyria is a unknown world that need to be explored, the maps we have are not that great and we need new ones to be made. When new ressources are going to be discovered their location will need to be registered on maps, maps that may not be available to every one depending on who make them. or maps that are traps or false to lure you away from the ressources.

5)Environement

And lastly come the biome, area, where the ressource is found, not every character may be able to live or work properly where the ressource is discovered.

All those points and the endless list of things i have not thought about, are going to limit "gold rush".

gathering and storing ressources is going to be an activity with lost of planning and infrastructure work, in CoE gathering is not going around with a pike or an axe, just like in our world working a mine is going to be a town thing with several miners, a lumber mill is going to involve several workers and lumberjack, one mann operations are going to be a rarity and of such a small scale that they will have no impact on things, except maybe for really valuable and rare ressources where one can get rich with the content of a pocket like precious metal or precious stones, a real gold rush or dimond rush, but for other ressources forget it, they will need full scale operations.

Mostly the above quoted, he nailed it.

Y'all are all making the assumption that gold will be the currency of choice or even the most valuable commodity.

there were many times in history when salt for preserving food was worth more than gold. And that fact is where the statement "worth it's weight in gold comes from. " Is specially how valuable salt was in many parts of the world without easy access to it.

I haven't as of yet seen any DJ or Q|A answering exactly how the economy will work. Will there be coinage form the start? or will that be something the king's have to do,

or will it be an entirely barter based system at first

or...?

yes in theory you could see it, but that is assuming gold ends up having the value it does IRL. We don't know if it will or wont yet.

2/27/2017 10:25:08 PM #13

There will be coinage from the start. We are entering a world that has been up and running for generations before us. If a king wants to declare the existing coins worthless and mint his own....Well that's up to him.

And for the first year at least I would wager that the most valuable metal will be iron. Demand for gold only really ramps up once you have a stable economy that values luxury goods. If you have wars I would take the iron to make a good set of arms and armor over a pile of gold any day.

2/27/2017 10:49:31 PM #14

by the time the game releases yes, but since they haven't mentioned at at all. I wonder if it is something that will be worked out\created by the players during EP or MUD though.

So sure by full release there will be established coinage, but that doesn't mean we know what they are or even that the devs do.

i do agree, early on Iron, Nickel, and Tin will heavily sought for the first year or so. Especially iron.

but I do expect to see a lot of use of bronze(nickel\tin alloy) as well for cook ware, eating utensils, buttons, ect

Though copper may win out on that battle over bronze.

2/27/2017 10:56:39 PM #15

I'd wager most of the easy mining resource spots, will already have a town or settlement setup to use it. Some people are going to get mining settlements right off the bat, what they do with them is what matters. If you want your titled settlement to be an abandoned ghost town after you strip mined the area, that's on you.