COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Sparks vs Souls

I see a lot of posts that talk about the 3 souls that come with each package as if that means folks can have 3 different characters.

My understanding is characters are tied to sparks, not souls. So the base game comes with one spark, which means one character. When creating that character, the player will have 3 souls to choose from.

I vaguely recall the idea that there might be an add-on for additional soul options (to increase your pool size), but I am not sure if that is still planned.

Based on various posts and comments, I see a lot of players who will start with more than one spark planning to create alts at launch, rather than only keeping spare sparks in reserve for their heir(s).

Assuming my understanding is correct, that brings up an important question. Does the "3 souls to choose from" note on the packages mean 3 souls per spark, or is it total? If it is total, that limits the number of potential alts.

In general, it would be helpful to hear something definitive from SBS on their preferred model for alts.

Thanks!

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

2/27/2017 6:27:00 PM #1

Soul = Character slot

Spark = Subscription fee for life for that character\soul.

at least that is my understanding of it.

2/27/2017 6:27:20 PM #2

Characters are tied to souls. Sparks are used to activate a soul.

If you are a warrior in one play through the soul you used will carry the skill ramps for your combat skills.

In your next life you can use a spark on a different soul which would have entirely different skills/skill ramps.

Think of the soul as your avatar and sparks as quarters used to play that avatar.

2/27/2017 6:37:26 PM #3

Right, good clarifications. However, it still seems better to me to speak of souls as potential characters. Because without that spark (an extra "quarter") you can't play it.

The base game comes with one spark and "three souls to choose from." So you look at the souls (the games in the arcade) and pick which one you want to play (which one you put your quarter in).

I think I still would like clarification from SBS on how they expect (or prefer) folks to play multiple characters at once (alts).

If a tier comes with 10 extra sparks but has exactly 3 souls to choose from, that sounds like "you can only have up to 3 alts, and you will be limited in what they can be to some extent because you'll have to use the 3 random souls we give you."

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

2/27/2017 6:43:27 PM #4

It has been stated even though I can recall where that you will be able to purchase additional Souls either through the EP Store, or the minimal in-game store. eg; The same place you purchase extra sparks.

2/27/2017 7:29:11 PM #5

Posted By mystichaze at 12:43 PM - Mon Feb 27 2017

It has been stated even though I can recall where that you will be able to purchase additional Souls either through the EP Store, or the minimal in-game store. eg; The same place you purchase extra sparks.

This.

The extra souls are supposed to be available after the close of the EP store when launch properly happens.