COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Sneaky ways to kill people

So, I don't know exactly how detecting a crime will work (will you automatically get wanted for killing someone, or does there have to be a witness) but I was trying to think of sneaky ways to kill someone without getting caught.

1. poison - the obvious choice, the issues is how to deliver it. If you use a poisoned weapon then that involves actually attacking them, and getting them to accidentally ingest it or something would be tricky.

2. sniping - stay hidden and take them down from a distance, naturally you would need to be an absolute expert at ranged combat and stealth so this would probably only work in very limited situations.

3. using animals - this personally appeals to me, basically train a pack of attack animals, wait for your target to be alone somewhere and then order them all to attack him while you stay hidden. sort of a hound of the baskervilles type thing. Although I don't know if someone would be able to tell who owned the animals.

4. knife in the back while disguised: wait for them to be alone, have a disguise on and quickly kill them while they are alone so they don't know who took them down.

5. Natural disasters: Well, we know that you can't burn a house down just by tossing a torch at it, but I wonder if it might be possible to do something like weaken the supports of bridge or something and then when your target crosses it cause a collapse. Somehow I don't think this will work but who knows.

We'll have to wait and see, but I think it will be interesting to find out.

2/27/2017 7:14:24 PM #1

From my understanding of how it was said in the past is that someone would need to figure out it was you. There will be a forensics skill line for investigating and if I remember correctly, evidence could expire.. Which makes me think of footprints going away due to rain or wind. It was also said that evidence of your crime could be discarded so if the person isn't good at figuring things out even though his character is, he could miss important clues. It could also be used by a corrupt person to cover the tracks of their friend or client.

As far as poisons, you could poison food or drink, even a well. Weapons were still undecided on. It was also not confirmed if there would be a poison strong enough to CDG or if it would just be KO's.

Friend code: 172B2A

2/27/2017 7:54:12 PM #2

SBS always says there is always one witness to a crime. From what I understand when a crime is commit "evidence" is dropped. Someone with CI skill to see and process the information. I don't know what information that gives up though but the more people that see the crime the more evidence drops.

I think the combo from a poisoned weapon could KO or CDG someone..I'm thinking if an arrow takes you down to 5% if it hits you in your chest (without armor) a poisoned arrow would KO you.

But if there is poison that does CDG you that can be poured in a cup. I hope that has it just a handful of plants that can do that and also each plant cause a different type of effect to the consumer (example turns palms blue) and also comes from a certain biome. I feel like that would be a fun from someone trying to investigate a poison murder.

2/27/2017 7:58:37 PM #3

the problem with poisoning food or drink is that you never know if your target will be the one to eat/drink them. I suppose an extremely talented thief could steal the water skin or something that his target is carrying, then poison it and then plant it back on the person so the next time they drink it later they die, but that's a pretty convoluted way to kill someone.

2/27/2017 8:07:34 PM #4

That's why I'm a bit worried that poison is going to be the go to way to kill someone. If there is no way tracking it I don't think we will see other types of assassinations at all.

2/27/2017 9:08:40 PM #5

QnA:

“If you poison someone with either a weapon, or potentially in their food if that is an option, and you poison them again does the poison increase in effectiveness or does it add to the duration of the poison debuff and or apply another debuff of poison?”

A: One could assume it would operate much like in our world. So if you were to poison somebody to a non-toxic level then it would probably just make them sick for some period of time. if you add a sufficiently high-dose and it’s a toxic person then it might actually incapacitate or worse. So I don’t know if that answers the question, but we do scale based on the amount of poison somebody gets.

@kab

“Can poison or venom cause a Coup De Grace?”

Caspian: "Both are possible, there are poisons and toxins that will kill, there are poisons and toxins that will not."

• 1 Poison weapons: Since poison will scale upon the amount you give a person, I see it highly unlikely that coating your weapon in it will be enough to kill, even incapacitate a person. It's tested several times, and most poison fall off when the weapon flows through the air, besides even less gets inside the wound you might inflict, most will probably just sit in the clothes. So I don't think poison will be on weapons.

• 1 Poison in food/drinks on the other hand seem to be very plausible thing to do, we've seen a bit of a demo where we see a person pick stuff up etc. so chances are good that you could poison something, the thing is just to get the person to drink/eat it. Not to say, poison could possibly be slow-working too, so there might be opportunities for counter-play in the form of a cure etc. (but both creates strong story)

• 2 Coup-de-gracing someone is something that has to be done by walking up to someone and doing it, or it can happen "passively" aka. by poison/starvation/drowning etc. So don't expect "sniping" to be a thing you would be able to do (also sniping could very easily be misused and it gives little chance for any kind of "counter play"

• 3 That relies on animals "coup-de-graceing" people, which we don't actually know if they do, so far I actually think they only incapacitates you but we'll have to see.

• 4 I do hope that you'll be able to "somewhat struggle" or fight back, I can see the point of the "instant kill" thing, but I also would like for it to give some form of counter-play, a chance for the attacked to defend themselves, fight off the attacker so to say.

• 5 Or if collision is possible, then just gently push them off a tall balcony, and make sure there's a long way down.

2/28/2017 2:51:57 AM #6

well historically as far as poisoned weapons what was often used was just to dip the weapons into human waste and it would often result in lethal infections later on, and since human medicine was not at a level to treat these things it was very hard to defend against them.

I don't know if disease will be in this game but what as far as in game effects, the poison could do a very small amount of damage but it has an extremely long duration. So if the person who is poisoned does not find an antidote or get treated within a certain amount of time they slowly die. If anything, knowing that you've been poisoned could cause a person to panic and not be able to fight back effectively which would give the attacker more openings to kill them.

3/31/2017 8:42:50 PM #7

bump

4/5/2017 8:43:51 AM #8

Most of these ways despite sniping seem realistic ways to get away with murder so long as you leave minimal evidence.

Live Life To The Mediocre.

4/5/2017 8:49:22 AM #9

i will be getting my alchemist/herbalist to start work on paralytic toxins as soon as possible. i will be a bow hunter with rapier as a melee, and being able to capture foes from a distance will be a very useful tool. i would even consider having blow darts depending on tech and biome. i cant wait to test out some of these combat techniques. i will no doubt have a few rogues in my employ to dispatch justice.

4/5/2017 9:47:28 AM #10

What if you drop a banana peel and somebody slips and gets KO, would it still be considered a crime?

4/22/2017 10:30:35 PM #11

Posted By Mesis at 04:47 AM - Wed Apr 05 2017

What if you drop a banana peel and somebody slips and gets KO, would it still be considered a crime?

Nah, probably just manslaughter unless that can prove during your trail it was premeditated.

What if I "accidentally" push some one off a castle tower or a high cliff?