COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Resource Permanence

As we know, there are non-renewable resources such as metals, minerals, and the like. These resources in their basic form can eventually disappear from the game world.

However, can the resources in any form ever disappear from circulation permanently? For example: A metal resource is completely dried up in order to be turned into weaponry. The weaponry can be broken down (presumably) into more basic components including our resource in question and used to produce other goods. While the resource no longer exists in a form that can be mined, there still exists the same amount in circulation as did before.

Are there any situations in which this resource can disappear entirely, such as weapons permanently breaking and making the components unattainable, or some other mechanic with the same effect?

2/28/2017 6:30:52 AM #1

No. In one of the Q&A's they stated that when items are recycled you get a percentage of the base materials. so if the entire map was mined out resources would eventually be mined out. but the size of the world is so huge and the resource amount is supposed to be similar to the earth so during the time frame of the game resources most likely never run out.

There are also other continents that will open up later so even if the entire starter continent is mined out there will still be resources available.

2/28/2017 6:46:42 AM #2

Posted By Klex_Aelm at 10:30 PM - Mon Feb 27 2017

There are also other continents that will open up later so even if the entire starter continent is mined out there will still be resources available.

And then the powers that be in Elyria will view the "new world" much as Europeans viewed the discovery of Africa and the Americas...

3/1/2017 12:38:50 PM #3

Posted By Klex_Aelm at 08:30 AM - Tue Feb 28 2017

No. In one of the Q&A's they stated that when items are recycled you get a percentage of the base materials. so if the entire map was mined out resources would eventually be mined out. but the size of the world is so huge and the resource amount is supposed to be similar to the earth so during the time frame of the game resources most likely never run out.

I think the most plausible scenario is that a metal/mineral source is depleted at an area, and those behind the mining operations have to find another place to start building a new mine to.

Lutes are cool

3/1/2017 3:53:53 PM #4

I agree with EDD here, I do foresee that a resource could be depleted within a certain area or biome but for that to carry over to the entire world is very doubtful. Don't ask me where I heard this but the Devs have stated that if it came to where the lack of resources where killing the game play that recently 'unknown' nodes may be discovered. I take this to mean that if things get too bad the Devs can swoop in and save us by adding a few more nodes if needed to save the economy. Now would I just go into the game without any worries, no definitely not. Will I just not recycle and just waste resources, nope not on your life. If you look hard enough I am sure there will be nodes to be found or discovered be it in a cave, extreme biome, or as EDD has mentioned on a new continent. And just a suggestion when you do find resources hold some back never use or sell all you have. When harvesting trees, replant. We have to really be smart with the resources we do have while we have them.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/3/2017 7:56:49 PM #5

While there will indeed be 'new nodes' like meteorites, another major factor is technological development. If you develop a better technique to dig and support tunnels after the game has been around for a few years and most superficial resources are depleted, you can suddenly dig a lot deeper and access a wealth of new veins.

Alt text

3/10/2017 5:40:14 AM #6

Meteorites really don't have a lot of metal in them after falling thru the atmosphere, most of it gets burned up. So unless they include a fantasy metal that can only be obtained from meteorites, they won't be a factor of production

FFH

3/14/2017 9:37:08 AM #7

That would depend on the size of it. A massive lump of iron should have some useful materials left after crashing. Then again, I wouldn't want that kind of impact anywhere near my house.

I personally think meteorites will provide small amounts for those who need a little bit for themselves while digging deeper would be the solution for global needs.

Alt text

3/14/2017 10:22:10 AM #8

The devs stated that it would be possible that all resources are mined out, but if this scenario were to happen new nodes can be found.

Even with the 'technology" system its possible that after a while its possible to make deeper, and more effective mines which opens up new veins of ores.

I doubt the resources will be mined out globally, it would take alot of time.

3/31/2017 9:06:13 AM #9

I'm new to the forum, did some searches on my question but dont really see an answer hopefully it has not been discussed.

My main question would be how long will a discovered resource last?

Using an example like silver. Someone discovers a silver deposit and let's a local miner know. The miner heads out and starts to harvest the material. Is it going to be something that will be cleared out in an hour, day, week, month? Is there going to be enough to share info with only a friend or maybe enough to let the village know or do you want to keep the information secret?

There is also the question of how widespread the resources will be. I don't mean biome specific. If your area/county is known to have silver. Will it be something like there is only four spots that have silver in that area?

I am trying to think about how resource gathering is going to be. If it will be more solo - gather quick and it gone, group gathering - lots initially enough to share, limited locations - resources be instantly fought over. My hope is that it's not setup to where a large guild can essentially block out the masses from a resource. Cornering a market on a resource and skyrocketing a price. You see this in other games. I prefer to play will small groups of people you can actually get to know. I could care less about joining a group of 1000+ people just to have power and access to resources.

3/31/2017 11:33:37 AM #10

Posted By Yargo at 05:06 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

I'm new to the forum, did some searches on my question but dont really see an answer hopefully it has not been discussed.

My main question would be how long will a discovered resource last?

Using an example like silver. Someone discovers a silver deposit and let's a local miner know. The miner heads out and starts to harvest the material. Is it going to be something that will be cleared out in an hour, day, week, month? Is there going to be enough to share info with only a friend or maybe enough to let the village know or do you want to keep the information secret?

There is also the question of how widespread the resources will be. I don't mean biome specific. If your area/county is known to have silver. Will it be something like there is only four spots that have silver in that area?

I am trying to think about how resource gathering is going to be. If it will be more solo - gather quick and it gone, group gathering - lots initially enough to share, limited locations - resources be instantly fought over. My hope is that it's not setup to where a large guild can essentially block out the masses from a resource. Cornering a market on a resource and skyrocketing a price. You see this in other games. I prefer to play will small groups of people you can actually get to know. I could care less about joining a group of 1000+ people just to have power and access to resources.

The developers are trying to keep as many aspects as they can close to RL so I do not see one miner going out and clearing out a node in a matter of minutes. As for a guild getting sole control the majority of the land will belong to the nobles out in the wild. In order to corner the market the guild in question would have to buy ALL the land the resource was found on. If they just go and start mining the local Count's or Duke's troops show up and kick them off the land, and possibly confiscate all their production.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

3/31/2017 12:32:25 PM #11

From what was discussed in the past, if someone discovers a node, they'll need to build a mine, similar to RL. It's not something like you walk up to it and with a few swings of your pickax the whole thing is mined. As far as guilds monopolizing a resource, I guess it's possible, but that guild would have to be massive and that resource would have to be only in one part of the entire world, but that's highly unlikely.

3/31/2017 12:40:25 PM #12

And I don't think you would know how long any one resource in an area will last when it comes to mined resources. That ore vein could be 3m long or 3000m long. So you may want to do some test digs before you build too large of a mining camp.

3/31/2017 9:15:00 PM #13

Posted By Aionion at 08:32 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

From what was discussed in the past, if someone discovers a node, they'll need to build a mine, similar to RL. It's not something like you walk up to it and with a few swings of your pickax the whole thing is mined. As far as guilds monopolizing a resource, I guess it's possible, but that guild would have to be massive and that resource would have to be only in one part of the entire world, but that's highly unlikely.

This is kind of what I am fearing. Depending how widespread resources are they may be taken over by large groups. I am picturing moon mining in Eve. With non respawning resources it could become the holder of valuable resources will have the power not the kings. Which I guess you would say is much the same as real life. But makes a not so interesting experience for the smaller groups knowing they will never have access to certain materials unless you "Pay the Price". I am definately not complaing I adjust my playstyle to adapt with smaller groups and still enjoy my time. Can't wait for this game to start love the concepts I am reading so far.

3/31/2017 10:02:20 PM #14

Posted By Yargo at 4:15 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

Posted By Aionion at 08:32 AM - Fri Mar 31 2017

This is kind of what I am fearing. Depending how widespread resources are they may be taken over by large groups. I am picturing moon mining in Eve. With non respawning resources it could become the holder of valuable resources will have the power not the kings. Which I guess you would say is much the same as real life. But makes a not so interesting experience for the smaller groups knowing they will never have access to certain materials unless you "Pay the Price". I am definately not complaing I adjust my playstyle to adapt with smaller groups and still enjoy my time. Can't wait for this game to start love the concepts I am reading so far.

Here's the thing. A big group strip mines and let's say corners the market on iron.

Where are they going to store it?

You don't have a hanger that is 100% safe and untouchable. All that iron has to be stored somewhere. Which means it has a lock and some guards and likely is in a fortified spot. A king says give me half or I'll take it all. A group of players who are that rich to corner the market will likely be able to hire guards and an army to fight the king.

Except the king isn't their only enemy. Other guilds, merchants, even lower level nobility could step in and attack them as well. So while they may have cornered the market who are they going to sell to? After months of attacks and sieges and their food stores dwindle...

In short those who corner the market will likely be those in political power because they will need the support of the ruling class to pull it off. Otherwise the entire area would likely be against them.

3/31/2017 11:03:40 PM #15

Posted By Malais at 08:02 AM - Sat Apr 01 2017

A king says give me half or I'll take it all.

Honestly if a King did this it would be a pretty stupid move. What kind of gatherer is going to actually stay in that Kingdom if the King just spazzes out and demands half their haul. The King would find himself with a big pile of iron and 1 less hard working gatherer who has proven they have what it takes to be a top tier supplier.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.