COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
In our hands

Anyone planning to unite and create settlements/lands for themselves? I imagine alot of deviant would have this in mind. Do barons expect they will conflict if people try setting up neat their land?

3/6/2017 9:20:28 AM #1

If they've bought it legally from the count then barons should have no problem.

If they've just started building a base, illegally, next to a baron's town then they're likely to feel a mountain of pain very soon. :P

3/6/2017 10:04:07 AM #2

Any issues would be political in nature if everything was bought legally, but this does not mean that more powerful aristocrats won't attempt to sabotage such attempts while other may actually encourage these attempts in order to tap new resources more efficiently.

3/6/2017 11:59:59 AM #3

I haven't any intention of uniting my settlement with another as an intentional goal. I don't see why you would want to either. Either join the existing settlement and help it grow, or start your settlement elsewhere where it doesn't compete detrimentally with resources.

As to conflict.

If you are starting your satellite settlement as a deviant base of operations, then as a Mayor I will appeal to my Count or Duke to get involved. As a Baron invested by my Duke it's probably likely I'm entitled to involve myself with my armed guards on my own volition to resolve it. (Though if you were smart you would conduct your business from your den-of-thieves so as to avoid detection i.e don't shit where you live, shit elsewhere)

If you are not starting your satellite settlement as a deviant base, but to attempt to be in direct competition to me, even to the point where you intend in swallowing and consuming my settlement within your own, then game on - lets compete.

Either way, you will need to obtain a Town Charter to register that settlement. Unless you hold pull with the Count I don't see them granting a charter so close to another's anyway. In which case your settlement will grow unchartered until it joins up and becomes a part of mine. At which time, depending on whether or not they make Mayorships hereditary or elected based on land ownership percentage, you come under my rule, or whoever sways and holds the most votes does. All in all, it's all part of the game.

Having said that, little satellite farming hamlets and the like who depend on my settlement for the bulk of their goods and services is in all likelihood a mutually beneficial arrangement for both of us. And if that is the sort of satellite settlement that is being aimed for, and as long I continue to get that vibe, then I don't see any need for conflict at all. Indeed we could be neighbourly and provide assistance to each other. (and if you are going for that den-of-theives I would suggest that you would pose yourself as such).

Imgur Imgur

3/6/2017 12:10:03 PM #4

If we just focus on deviant characters trying to settle - building a small camp would be most realistic. If you plan to build anything bigger like a settlement - you need materials, you need workforce, you need food, while last one can be achieved by raiding, it will attract attention to you, and in order to be able to build something when you don't have permit, you have to stay hidden for as long as you can, if local settlers will spot that bandits are trying to build a fort, you will get reported and army will be sent for you in short time as people mentioned before.

3/6/2017 12:11:02 PM #5

I have seen a few groups wanting to do goals like this. No reason deviant people really need to do that themselves. Why not just hide within a town. Unless they really want to have a secret hide out that naturally never stays hidden for long.

3/6/2017 1:41:07 PM #6

Unless these deviants are also planning on skills in more domestic skills, they won't ever have anything more than a run down shanty town at best and will be very little trouble to take care of by a real group of soldiers.

Join Freeport County, we like boats. And dogs.

3/6/2017 1:43:02 PM #7

I guess maybe a better solution for deviants would be to have a base of operations but then just create small outposts so they have a limited amount of supplies ready so they can attack distant locations. Its hard always speculating like i cant imagine how new settlements are formed or how new kingdoms are formed. Maybe its based on the tribes somehow

3/7/2017 9:18:08 AM #8

Counties aren't all that big. Aside from deviants setting up shop next to you, it's not impossible for two small villages to gradually grow closer as they expand into towns, and eventually merge. Given that a capital city spans an entire county, I imagine several towns would have to merge to create a city.

Alt text

3/13/2017 2:50:58 AM #9

if you buy the land from a count, unless he's just selling land willy nilly without taking anything in consideration. you shouldn't have a probleme of being too close to another settlement.