COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Pax East Demo Impressions!

Just saw the PAX East demo and I think the game looks quite good! It really encouraged me that this game will turn out great! Feel free to share your thoughts here if there isn't already a place to do so! Looking forward to more progress from the dev team!

Leader of the Fruit Bowl Boys. ~the best fruit bowls in the world!

Friend Code-A1D1AA

3/8/2017 12:24:31 AM #1

Assassin's Creed Undergound

3/8/2017 12:30:49 AM #2

It looked to be the U4 Engine graphics with some decently done mantling and sliding. It certainly looked like it would be good for "jump puzzles".

[EDIT] Please do NOT get me wrong. I know the work that went into making all those moves possible, and am not going to diminish them in any way. Great Work! [/EDIT]

However, the question became, by the second run through where I analyzed the structures, Was this just built for Fun? Because none of it looked like anything I've seen in Practical Mining.

I am ok with it just being for Fun, just wondering.

3/8/2017 12:35:16 AM #3

The climbing and jumping around looks like it could have amazing potential for all sorts of stealth stuff.
I love the idea of sneaky players parkouring around a city at night, or sending in a team of them to try and infiltrate a fortress prior to a siege.

3/8/2017 12:36:39 AM #4

It's way early but combat still worries me a bit. As of right now (pre-alpha) the animations need to be more fluent and less stiff and I feel like the effect of hitting someone was unresponsive (in their reaction to being hit) and lacked impact in it's aesthetics.

I'm sure in 1-2 years it will advance but feedback is feedback. Other than that and the zero gravity jump animation it looked great.

I don't know anymore.

3/8/2017 12:36:51 AM #5

Posted By GrimmLiberty at 01:30 AM - Wed Mar 08 2017

It looked to be the U4 Engine graphics with some decently done mantling and sliding. It certainly looked like it would be good for "jump puzzles".

[EDIT] Please do NOT get me wrong. I know the work that went into making all those moves possible, and am not going to diminish them in any way. Great Work! [/EDIT]

However, the question became, by the second run through where I analyzed the structures, Was this just built for Fun? Because none of it looked like anything I've seen in Practical Mining.

I am ok with it just being for Fun, just wondering.

This is supposed to be part of the offline Prologue, which is what is was build for. And why not show it off now at Pax, now that this part of the Prologue is ready.

Brash

3/8/2017 12:41:13 AM #6

Posted By Terrantal at 7:36 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

This is supposed to be part of the offline Prologue, which is what is was build for. And why not show it off now at Pax, now that this part of the Prologue is ready.

It seems you missed my point. It had nothing to do with Timeline and everything to do with a mine looking nothing like a mine, but rather like any other MMO "bad guy cave".

I am just wondering if this cut and paste "fill a hole with stuff" is what I can expect. As I said, looks like fun, and I can accept it either way, just a bit surprised I guess.

3/8/2017 12:53:44 AM #7

Aesthetically it looked great, but the combat had no weight, shape or feeling to it and looked like hitting a piece of paper with a feather, I think the combat from last PAX looks better. And I don't even need to say anything about the flying all over the place parkour

3/8/2017 1:08:22 AM #8

Posted By GrimmLiberty at 6:41 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

Posted By Terrantal at 7:36 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

It seems you missed my point. It had nothing to do with Timeline and everything to do with a mine looking nothing like a mine, but rather like any other MMO "bad guy cave".

I am just wondering if this cut and paste "fill a hole with stuff" is what I can expect. As I said, looks like fun, and I can accept it either way, just a bit surprised I guess.

Since is it designed primarily for the prologue I let it go with a grain of salt, but i did feel a bit the same way.

i hope the player mines will rely more on realism for digging, reinforcing the ceiling, ventilation, flooding, ect.

3/8/2017 1:14:32 AM #9

Gotta love it. Last week someone here was complaining about no actual game footage. Now they share some Pre Alpha footage, "PRE ALPHA" being the key phrase here and now we get complaints about it not looking polished or looking like an actual mine.

Can you see why more game developers don't let us look at the game in this early of a state now? Dammed if they do and damned if they don't.

3/8/2017 1:16:12 AM #10

Posted By Bokimbol at 8:14 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

Gotta love it. Last week someone here was complaining about no actual game footage. Now they share some Pre Alpha footage, "PRE ALPHA" being the key phrase here and now we get complaints about it not looking polished or looking like an actual mine.

Can you see why more game developers don't let us look at the game in this early of a state now? Dammed if they do and damned if they don't.

True that. But they expect me to tell them what I think is wrong, it's called feedback, and Our entire purpose here. I even couched in a question initially, because it wasn't THAT important, just a curiosity at this point. But then me questioning things get's questioned and I answer. So why is that gripe worthy?

For my own part, I didn't sink two weeks worth of income into a game I don't believe in, nor in the ability to "sit down and shut up" because someone said to.

I've Invested, in all senses of the word.

3/8/2017 1:25:51 AM #11

SBS does not benefit from echo chambers and yes-men.

Yes, it is pre-alpha, but that arguably means that criticism now is even more important because bigger changes in trajectory are still possible.

Feedback, as long as it is constructive, should always be supported and encouraged.

3/8/2017 1:32:46 AM #12

Actually, they want the "feedback" in what they show in the exclusive section not the general section. From what I was told the exclusive section is for things that are not set in stone yet and they welcome feedback on that section.

In my opinion and I admit I may very well be wrong but I think maybe, just maybe your expectations for the game might be just a tad bit too high. I mean for one this mine was SET UP to show off the parkour game elements. Would be kind of useless to make a realistic mine for that don't you think? Also, if you made an actual mine don't you think that would be kind of boring play wise? You have to balance realistic and fun. I just think your taking the realistic part too far.

Another thing. Your suggestion, while valid if you want a 100% realistic game is really not helpful at this point. Do you expect them to redesign the whole cave because one poster feels it's not realistic enough? You do know they are on a budget don't you?

Hey, I am sure your well meaning in your critique of the mine but to be honest, your taking the idea of us helping to develop the game just a tiny bit too far. They pretty much can't change what the mine looks like at this point without dipping deep into the budget I am sure. And to be honest I think it's fine the way it is. It is a GAME after all and not a mine simulator.

3/8/2017 1:49:01 AM #13

Posted By GrimmLiberty at 8:16 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

Posted By Bokimbol at 8:14 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

True that. But they expect me to tell them what I think is wrong, it's called feedback, and Our entire purpose here. I even couched in a question initially, because it wasn't THAT important, just a curiosity at this point. But then me questioning things get's questioned and I answer. So why is that gripe worthy?

For my own part, I didn't sink two weeks worth of income into a game I don't believe in, nor in the ability to "sit down and shut up" because someone said to.

I've Invested, in all senses of the word.

First of all I didn't tell you to sit down and shut up. I was more trying to say stop being so critical on a pre Alpha release that can't be redesigned at this point. Also, I was trying to tell you that while I am sure they read what you have to say you are taking you role as an actual participant in the development of the game way to seriously. Let "them" make the game. Thats what we payed them for. So critique away if it makes you feel better. But know this. Very few things you critique, especially in this section of the boards, will actually be changed. If they listened to every critique from us "sage" fans the game would never get done.

Now while I don't feel one way or another about the fighting, if you had critiqued that at this point when they can still do something about it, I have no real problem with that. But asking them to redesign the mine at this point? Not so much.

3/8/2017 1:50:24 AM #14

Posted By Bokimbol at 8:32 PM - Tue Mar 07 2017

snip

[EDIT] MEH [/EDIT]

That comment about "sit down and shut up"was not directed at you or about you, it is just a general statement about MY expectations.

[EDIT2] HOWEVER, I wanted to address this statement by you;

"Actually, they want the "feedback" in what they show in the exclusive section not the general section. From what I was told the exclusive section is for things that are not set in stone yet and they welcome feedback on that section."

: I will endevour to find where they said they don't want input from the General population. Because, to me, that seems very wrong. [/EDIT2]

3/8/2017 2:15:26 AM #15

My feedback from this latest showing.

The animations are overall garbage, hopefully they fix them, only the running animation and maybe the idle animation is serviceable.

The transitions from one ledge to the next look too lofty, like you are on the moon. The transition from one ledge to the one behind is not a smooth transition, it looks like programmer art I get that. And the combat animations are pretty lackluster, Right now it doesn't look like it'd be a reactive combat style besides dodging the stuff, It doesn't seem like there is parries or anything like that in the game. The animation for the reaction of being hit isn't there, there is no VFX when you make contact. The sound also makes it look worse.

I get the purpose of the demo, I also get that it's pre-alpha, however we have seen 2 combat styles now, that look uninteresting, for those that would like to play the PvP part of the game and fighting for their kingdom/county/tribe.

As mentioned above to limit feedback to the people that have already put 100s of dollars into the game, would make for a horrible game, because these people are invested and these same people will feel like they need to defend the game. Just like you did yourself Bokimbol.

There will be far more people that aren't even close to even teir 6 let alone teir 3 (magistrate) to be able to post feedback. You don't want only those that spent 500+ dollars on the game to present feedback.

So please unless you can prove it to me, that they really do only want feedback by the people that have already invested into the game far more money than most sane people would do.

If animations, sound, and combat system is garbage, little to no people other than the hard core - role players would ever spend that much time in the game. If they see that the game feels/looks/sounds bad. People wouldn't care if it is an indie project that has some outside investment.

People would look at the game and not touch it again, once it actually gets closer to launch and it still has these issues. You don't want roughly 100 people in each server playing.

The NPC interaction doesn't seem that good either, they make animations that make little to no sense. when approaching the NPC.

The game needs a ton of work, they have decent ground work, but many times I see things in pre-alpha that are horrible that will make it to the live version of the game. Animation, and sound need a metric ton of work. IF they deny this and act like there is no problem they are making a disservice to the community, and hopes that the white knights protect them from the bad feedback.

If they only ever look at feedback in the "exclusive" section that will be full of yes men and mostly defensive postures of all manners of feedback.

Because of this I highly suggest they make a sub forum for the people that are part of the community that haven't invested their money yet, or have feedback to offer.