COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Religious Orders?

So, while there isn't much information right now on religion, but do any of you suppose religious orders will be a viable option to play in CoE? Whether they be monks, holy knights, priests, preachers, or anything of the sort. Of course they may have to produce something on the side to fund their monastery. (One real life example that comes to mind is a group of monks who are wood workers, they create coffins and sell them to fund their monastery.) But perhaps there could be bonuses to joining a religious order?

Maybe a king can pass a law where religious institutions are exempt from taxes. Perhaps your religious knowledge gives bonus modifiers, say a holy knight who is consistent in his religious duties gets a bonus to his combat skills. Perhaps there are talents where a priest is in tune with whatever gods he chooses to follow, and can place blessings.

Any thoughts?

3/18/2017 2:23:39 PM #1

YES!

Religion is a big deal in Chronicles of Elyria and they have already mentioned the possibility of being a part of those religions. We are certainly still waiting for more information about the mechanics of it all but I am very confident that religio, and religious orders, are going to play a considerable role in the worlds story.

Edit: A couple of sources for religious roles:

The Virtori are paladins and clerics.

Source: Caspian in IRC

And,

Yes, you can become a priest of a religion, as we’ve talked about it in a previous Q&A there are at least four religions, and many of them do have priests. As to whether or not you can do ceremonies, you can. Whether or not they’ll have any effect or not, I guess you’ll have to wait and see.

Source: Q&A

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

3/18/2017 2:29:49 PM #2

Hello spooks, a wonderful idea that I had too in the beginning. But when I heard, that all land is possessed by kings and only barons/mayor are able to run a town-like structure like a monastery I decided to settle within the walls of a town.

My House will collect, produce and sell books. There will be place for a library, a hospital, a dormitory and a big kitchen. So there are still structres similar to a monastery. What I don't want is to give hood to aggressors but asylum if neccessary. I dwell in the kingdom of Nirath where folks worship Daemon. So a monastery outside the settlement with a holy fire would be great, if landscape and king will support it. Free tax is obviously a very good Idea. For me, as I never will produce battle-monks, there would be need for a stong military base which can guard such a peaceful place as not everybody will apraoch it with good intention.

House Pyrros

3/18/2017 3:05:54 PM #3

With what Scipion said, I would say that you could technically build a settlement and it be a monastery. There wouldn't likely be an ingame way to show this but CoE seems to be a place where imagination is enabled to fill in a few gaps.

3/18/2017 3:31:01 PM #4

As a Countess, I don't plan on letting religious institutions slip by tax free. Everyone has to contribute.

I'm also not a big fan of zealotry. I'll be coming down hard on any fanatics in my lands.

3/18/2017 4:13:16 PM #5

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 10:23 AM - Sat Mar 18 2017

YES!

Religion is a big deal in Chronicles of Elyria and they have already mentioned the possibility of being a part of those religions. We are certainly still waiting for more information about the mechanics of it all but I am very confident that religio, and religious orders, are going to play a considerable role in the worlds story.

And,

Yes, you can become a priest of a religion, as we’ve talked about it in a previous Q&A there are at least four religions, and many of them do have priests. As to whether or not you can do ceremonies, you can. Whether or not they’ll have any effect or not, I guess you’ll have to wait and see.

Sweet! I knew religion was in the game, but I didn't know if it was there just for lore/immersion purposes or if it was more. Also, is there the possibility of building outside of settlements? A friend of mine and I had the idea of a monastery that assisted weary adventures in their travels out in some sort of seclusion from society. We also had the idea of having these monks travel themselves to spreading their faith and aid to those in need.

3/18/2017 4:14:25 PM #6

Yes, you can build anywhere technically.

Just don't get mad when the rightful land owner comes along and wrecks your shit for building on their property XD

3/18/2017 4:52:53 PM #7

Posted By CheshireVee at 12:14 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

Yes, you can build anywhere technically.

Just don't get mad when the rightful land owner comes along and wrecks your shit for building on their property XD

Lol

I wonder if religious NPC would ever start a crusade against you for doing that. I.e. Burning a church down for not paying taxes to the count or trespassing on their lands.

That would be awesome. But Players will probably crusade for the sake of the word without reason. You know, like real life.

3/18/2017 4:56:31 PM #8

Posted By CheshireVee at 08:31 AM - Sat Mar 18 2017

As a Countess, I don't plan on letting religious institutions slip by tax free. Everyone has to contribute.

I'm also not a big fan of zealotry. I'll be coming down hard on any fanatics in my lands.

Fanatic is such a harsh word...

3/18/2017 6:32:14 PM #9

Posted By Spooks at 12:13 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 10:23 AM - Sat Mar 18 2017

YES!

And,

Sweet! I knew religion was in the game, but I didn't know if it was there just for lore/immersion purposes or if it was more. Also, is there the possibility of building outside of settlements? A friend of mine and I had the idea of a monastery that assisted weary adventures in their travels out in some sort of seclusion from society. We also had the idea of having these monks travel themselves to spreading their faith and aid to those in need.

To your question on building outside of settlements, you can build anywhere but without permission it would be adverse possession and you would need permission if you didn't want to be outlaws.

3/18/2017 8:33:51 PM #10

What would make this even better would be if being a follower offered buffs to the player. This could be based on favor being built up with the monastery. Having a religious group overthrow a kingdom would be a cool thing to hear about in game. :)

3/18/2017 8:51:59 PM #11

Posted By LegionPete at 4:33 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

What would make this even better would be if being a follower offered buffs to the player. This could be based on favor being built up with the monastery. Having a religious group overthrow a kingdom would be a cool thing to hear about in game. :)

And what about atheists or others who don't conform to a religion? Do they just have to take the short end of the stick?

3/18/2017 8:54:06 PM #12

Posted By CheshireVee at 3:51 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

And what about atheists or others who don't conform to a religion? Do they just have to take the short end of the stick?

They will do what they always do, rely on science and technology in order to gain some form of advantage. The game is allows for players to research things that can be eventually added to the game. So, if atheist and others are left out, then maybe they aren't using their imagination well enough to research things that could offset this. :)

3/18/2017 9:16:53 PM #13

Posted By LegionPete at 4:54 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

They will do what they always do, rely on science and technology in order to gain some form of advantage. The game is allows for players to research things that can be eventually added to the game. So, if atheist and others are left out, then maybe they aren't using their imagination well enough to research things that could offset this. :)

Ah, so religious people get buffs for free, but everyone else has to work for it? XD

3/18/2017 10:21:21 PM #14

Posted By CheshireVee at 4:16 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

Posted By LegionPete at 4:54 PM - Sat Mar 18 2017

Ah, so religious people get buffs for free, but everyone else has to work for it? XD

Nobody said anything about getting buffs for "free". Everything has to be researched and unlocked. If a person wants to play a priest, does whatever it is that they are supposed to do to "research" then, they get it. I was never suggesting that it be free. The same would be true for any followers. The rules of skill sharing would apply to the priest like it does to the swordsman.

3/18/2017 10:56:44 PM #15

Firstly one of the religions in the game does have an atheist approach. Now I know there is always some argument about if you can be atheist and in a 'religion' but it does mean it is possible that you can follow that path and still get involved in the mechanics of religions.

Secondly free? It is likely that just like religions in our own world there will be requirements of followers. Activities that have to be carried out to show you are faithful, worship, converting, sacrifice. I think that you can have a system that does provide buffs without it being there.

Thirdly, there are religious statues as part of the KickStarter rewards that give buffs so we know it is something they are looking at. A long time ago they spoke about religions being unreliable, being based on faith. Some religions working for some but others doing the same thing not getting the same rewards. Not even telling you buffs and rewards you are getting, if any. Making it difficult to choose what religion you should follow as it would not be as simple as join x to get buff y. If they still plan this approach I am not sure but I think it would be excellent if they did.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.