COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
being a criminal

Hey guys just found out about this game and it looks amazing, and the first thing that came to my mind was. What would happen if I were to kill someone with no one around, except for the person I killed, can I get away with it ? Not gonna lie, i'm planning to become a complete douche in this game and kill as much as I can. can't the person I killed come back and just report me? wouldn't that be stupid as I, the criminal assassinated him perfectly without anyone other than him seeing me ? Even if they can't report me, cant they just spread my name as a criminal to not trust to everyone? I was hoping to be a son/daughter of a respected family, that has a secret criminal life outside of that, and I feel like that would be impossible right now .

3/20/2017 2:43:27 AM #1

and also just realized this isnt the perfect place for a post like this, but killing and dying are kind of related I guess ?-(0-0)-

3/20/2017 3:42:19 AM #2

As far as I know a Bounty Token is issued for a crime and I would assume you would need a witness to that crime. If you kill someone there are two witnesses to the crime, the criminal and the victim.

Just remember that your fame will come into play heavily in this game, so criminals may have a hard time entering cities and resupplying unless they use a disguise or are so good no one notices you.

Unlike other games you will Not know anyone's name as there will be no banners above their heads. We don't know a ton about the legal system but I would think that once a crime has been reported and a witness shows up they can track down your name. Also a Bounty Hunter with tracking skills may also be on your tail for a while.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

3/20/2017 4:44:23 AM #3

What would happen if I were to kill someone with no one around, except for the person I killed, can I get away with it ? ... can't the person I killed come back and just report me? wouldn't that be stupid as I, the criminal assassinated him perfectly without anyone other than him seeing me ?

First of all you must understand that when you perform a Coup de Grace to intentionally kill someone in CoE they do not automatically become permadead. What happens is that their soul is transferred into the spiritworld where they then must find their way back to their body following their "astral cord" which gets fainter and harder to follow as time passes. If they do not find their way back to their body within a frame of time it is then, and only then, that they become permadead.

During this "spiritwalk" for all intents and purposes the physical body of the person you attempted to kill will remain alive in a comatose state. So technically you haven't right-out killed them, you have only "attempted" to kill them. If they do make it back to their body they can indeed press charges and testify that you "attempted" to murder them. This is no different to real life where victims have somehow managed to survive such attacks on themselves and have then thus been able to report who it was that attacked them... if they saw and recognised them that is.

Now any Assassin worth their salt would a) utilise a disguise or a mask to avoid recognition, and b) sneak up and attack their victim covertly, such as from behind or from a distance, so that they don't see the attack coming, nor also their attacker.

If they themselves didn't see you then they very well can't know that you were they one that tried to kill them, can they?

Imgur Imgur

3/20/2017 5:24:25 AM #4

The true integrity of a man is tested when he knows what he does will not be discovered.

3/20/2017 5:57:39 AM #5

Ring of Gyges! Would be a funny relic for a philosophy shoutout.

3/20/2017 11:23:33 AM #6

Attacked from behind or from range, you'll still generate a bounty token for the kill. Your best bet is a good disguise that you don't use too often if you want to avoid being caught. And then when you are using it you have to hope the person you attacked didn't have skills to see through the disguise.

3/20/2017 12:44:48 PM #7

As has been said elsewhere. The perfect crime is not about positioning or jumping someone at the most opportune moment. That merely makes the fight easier. The perfect murder requires planning. That means a few points in the deviant skill tree to up your disguise skill and a little work crafting your disguise.

As long as you have a disguise on or better yet an entirely fake identity your odds of being caught even with the victim being a witness are considerably lower.

Murder in CoE isn't like your normal mmo. You have to be smart about it not just having higher combat skills but also skills to cover your escape and ability to evade the law.

3/20/2017 1:30:13 PM #8

It will be an arms race of sorts I imagine. Seeing through disguises will be a popular skill to pick, which means deviants will need to spend more time training their crafting and acting ability to don more convincing disguises, which will up the desire to train the ability to see through them, etc..... In the end you may spend a large part of every day working on disguises as a deviant player if you want to avoid penalties. It should be fun to see how that plays out.

3/23/2017 8:38:44 AM #9

Posted By Kaynadin at 9:23 PM - Mon Mar 20 2017

Attacked from behind or from range, you'll still generate a bounty token for the kill. Your best bet is a good disguise that you don't use too often if you want to avoid being caught. And then when you are using it you have to hope the person you attacked didn't have skills to see through the disguise.

Really? I was under the impression that the crime had to be reported and the attacker identified. If no one sees you then no one can identify you, meaning no bounty-token generation. Unless of course someone using that bardic forensic skill manages to identify you using whatever forensic evidence you left behind.

Imgur Imgur

3/23/2017 8:45:10 AM #10

No matter how perfect you believe your crime to be, there will inevitably be some clues along the line that may lead towards you.

Crime is possible, but make no mistake. There will be guards and players keen to take down your type for bounties. When you're caught, you will serve time, aging, have your skills atrophy and potentially risk eviction and loss of everything you own if it's warranted.

In the meantime bounty hunters and assassins working for the kingdom will gain fame, skill and wealth.

3/23/2017 10:22:58 AM #11

How does this work if you go to another kingdom and kill people - presumably you won't be a criminal in your own kingdom, its not like we'll have Interpol?

I ask that because I have no intention of harming my kith & kin but going over the mountains and sea with my Axe and taking what I can sounds pretty irresistable.

Obviously I won't be introducing myself before I murder the locals so what can they do about it if I then go home? Do bounty tokens come with a name and address?

3/23/2017 1:21:44 PM #12

They'd come with an identity of the attacker. And you would be leaving a trail back to your own kingdom for people to pursue you. Or, if you attack frequently enough or attack the wrong targets, you may just trigger a CB against your kingdom for starting a war which lets all of the other kingdoms attack yours. So tread lightly when raiding across a border.

3/23/2017 2:23:12 PM #13

Posted By Kaynadin at 1:21 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

They'd come with an identity of the attacker. And you would be leaving a trail back to your own kingdom for people to pursue you. Or, if you attack frequently enough or attack the wrong targets, you may just trigger a CB against your kingdom for starting a war which lets all of the other kingdoms attack yours. So tread lightly when raiding across a border.

So assume they pursue me home. What can they do about it? They are outside their jurisdiction - does the bounty mean anything unless they have some way to take me all the way back? Sure they could rob and kill me but then they would be criminals in my Kingdom.

I'm trying to get my head round this mechanic but I suspect the real answer might be no-one actually knows and most of the "information" is conjecture. I say that because I'm guessing it hasn't been developed any further than being written in a dev journal - does that sound like it could be a fair assessment?

As to triggering a CB - how many deviants are going to care at all if their actions cause a war? Not talking personally but plenty of people would do this deliberately if it were indeed a game mechanic.

4/12/2017 12:22:18 PM #14

Posted By Primavera at 4:23 PM - Thu Mar 23 2017

So assume they pursue me home. What can they do about it? They are outside their jurisdiction - does the bounty mean anything unless they have some way to take me all the way back? Sure they could rob and kill me but then they would be criminals in my Kingdom.

You are likely right in that these mechanics have not been devised yet and are conjecture.

What would make sense to me is that kingdoms could forge contracts on how to handle criminals originating from the other faction. It could simply be that the kingdom you committed your crimes in issues a bounty on your head and if caught you'd face the consequences.

If your kingdom is unwilling to cooperate in catching you and the original victim can't get you via unofficial means, it seems rather reasonable that you'd escape punishment.

4/12/2017 1:52:46 PM #15

I'd really be interested in knowing more about life in jail and gang organisations in big capital cities in CoE.

But so far we have no info about it, or did I overlook something?

Drinkin' alone's like crappin' with company