COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Surname creation

This may have already been asked, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

When exactly do we create a custom surname, family coat of arms, and etc? I would prefer mine to actually be relevant to my region and/or family's profession, but that's only reasonably possible after exposition starts.

3/23/2017 3:25:12 PM #1

theres no set date yet but personally i wouldn't be surprised if an announcement about a date for it came in a couple of weeks or so.

It'll be way way before expo thou.

If you want it to be regional, like "Snow" for example, your best bet is to join a Kingdom that is aiming for the same region as you want, that way you can be sure your on the right track.

3/23/2017 3:29:47 PM #2

Posted By Nagash at 10:25 AM - Thu Mar 23 2017

theres no set date yet but personally i wouldn't be surprised if an announcement about a date for it came in a couple of weeks or so.

If you want it to be regional, like "Snow" for example, your best bet is to join a Kingdom that is aiming for the same region as you want, that way you can be sure your on the right track.

By regional, I mean a name based on a town or county.

Like irl, "Von Duisburg" means "From Duisburg"

3/24/2017 2:40:22 AM #3

Posted By Scheneighnay at 11:29 AM - Thu Mar 23 2017

Posted By Nagash at 10:25 AM - Thu Mar 23 2017

By regional, I mean a name based on a town or county.

Like irl, "Von Duisburg" means "From Duisburg"

Well, are you a mayor, if you are, find a settlement name, and name yourself to that, if not find a settlement you wish to reside in and name yourself that, but be careful if you are in someone else settlement ask them what names system they are using.

cause while Von Duisburg means from Duisburg usually in early germanic era Von was reserved to nobility, citizens would use another naming convention, for example, a possible name for someone from Hannover could be Hannoveraner or someone from Stuttgart could be Stuttgarter

The ''ER'' suffix is a contraction of Bürger wich means citizen, so those name would be a contraction of citizen of ...

only around Napoleonic times would it become slightly more common to see non noble lines wearing names with the Von thingy, but not cause they've let them, more cause after a few generations you might have cousins 3-4 times removed those aren't noble but still are wearing the Von something surname