COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Evil Kingdoms

In many old stories there are always a king or queen who are seen as evil. They oppress their subjects by taxes or by displays of cruelty. My question is this. Will we have the power to be truly evil in this game? If we ever rise up to become king of a region will we have the ability to perform the same kinds of cruel actions as those kings/Queens in both stories and reality?

3/27/2017 10:34:40 PM #1

Because of the large amounts of $$ the pledged kings have put into the game I doubt that they will jeopardize their kingdom to make for an interesting in-game story.

That said I guess we have not seen these kings preform under pressure. We also do not know what the devs have planned with their dynamic story engine.

3/27/2017 10:41:32 PM #2

True however like in many old stories all it takes is 1 assasin to swap out a benevolent leader for a cruel one..prime example...rome

3/27/2017 10:56:38 PM #3

If you become King you can be as evil as you like.

Who knows how long you will last though!

3/27/2017 11:08:12 PM #4

Posted By Anewstart at 3:41 PM - Mon Mar 27 2017

True however like in many old stories all it takes is 1 assasin to swap out a benevolent leader for a cruel one..prime example...rome

Maybe more than one. Even kings won't permadie the first time.

Also, evil is subjective. If hundreds must die for thousands to be protected, is a king still evil for waging war?

3/27/2017 11:16:35 PM #5

There will always be consequences for your action in CoE so if you're a tyrant, those working under you and the citizens of your kingdom might want to overthrow you.

3/27/2017 11:22:28 PM #6

The citizens under the evil king might wanna revolt however how can they revolt if they have no power? Fear is a tool used by those in power to keep their subjects in line. It usually takes a hero who already has power or a group of rebels in order to bring down a powerful king.

3/27/2017 11:24:56 PM #7

You'll have the power to try, but there would definitely be an instant coup.

I would even worry about conquering land to some degree, because some of the residents would constantly resist no matter what you do to appease them. Though a big deal of that would be because a lot of players would come from outside gaming clans that they have absolute loyalty to.

I personally love my kingdom right now, but that definitely isn't absolute if the friendly community goes downhill.

3/27/2017 11:28:35 PM #8

Wait you already have a kingdom? How? The game isn't out yet. Is it some perk to funding the game or what?

3/27/2017 11:33:19 PM #9

Posted By Anewstart at 6:28 PM - Mon Mar 27 2017

Wait you already have a kingdom? How? The game isn't out yet. Is it some perk to funding the game or what?

Yes.. you can donate at the store.. though the devs have stated that there are a limited number of kingdoms and its first come first serve.. and its a fairly hefty donation.

3/27/2017 11:34:54 PM #10

Posted By Anewstart at 5:28 PM - Mon Mar 27 2017

Yeah, haven't you seen the pledge store on the site? There are already people backing the game with $10,000 plus to be King and Queen, with a lot of people backing some of them so far.

3/27/2017 11:48:37 PM #11

Posted By Anewstart at 7:28 PM - Mon Mar 27 2017

Yes, if you back the game at the highest level (%10,000), you can start the game as a king. There will only be 6 kingdoms on each server, and most of the positions are claimed now. There is also no guarantee that they will remain a king for long after launch.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/28/2017 12:56:41 AM #12

Posted By Anewstart at 4:28 PM - Mon Mar 27 2017

There isn't any actual kingdoms yet, what has happened is backers have purchased kingdoms and other backers who have purchased lesser packs like count, duke, mayor and such have pledge to those kingdoms, others have already formed guilds and such and also have pledged to kingdoms, but its all on paper, nothing in game as of yet but its all organized and ready to go once the game is ready. there is a separate form link for guild recruitment, check it out and see how much people have already done its amazing.

3/28/2017 1:00:10 AM #13

Yes there are evil kingdoms. They will think they are good and nice, the alignment might not consider them evil but I think its safe to assume there will be power hungry kingdoms cough double kingdoms pledges

3/28/2017 1:56:54 PM #14

The other thing is is a King decides to abuse his citizens they can always pack up and leave to another kingdom. A king wants his kingdom to grow and by being an asshat to all his subjects wont really fulfil that goal.

3/28/2017 2:02:18 PM #15

The only way I think an evil kingdom would work is if on the outside they looked normal, but on the inside had their own assassin/smuggler guilds. Under ground arena fights and gambling on those fights. Secrete phrases to get in and out of those areas. They could take the time to plant some of their players in other areas.

For example.. Right now.. there are guilds in other kingdoms looking for ways to have outlets in other kingdoms. Lets say you join one of those. Because of that connection, you found out some item is going to be transported to Kingdom C. You notify your home kingdom of this transfer, the when and the where. The kingdom mobilizes the assassins/mercenaries to jump the caravan and retrieve that item(s).

Then, once the mission is completed, they return home. Maybe, that item then gets auctioned off on the black market or maybe someone paid for retrieval of a particular item.

The kingdom would have legit sellers to handle the actual transactions all the while protecting their illegal endeavors.

So, I think it could work. It will be some work though.