COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Can you build a Kingdom from scratch

If a group of players started buildin in some far off area could they eventually build a kingdom that the game recognizes or would it just be a large town?

3/30/2017 6:55:48 PM #31

Posted By guildsbounty at 11:57 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Also....the world of CoE is big, and warfare is not easy. You can't just marshal together a thousand soldiers and go attack things. They'll all starve to death and break all their equipment. You need supply lines, repair teams, engineers to build siege equipment....all of these things take time to build up and thus it takes time to move an army.

The 'one month' rule takes into account the fact that an army may have to be marshaled, equipped, provisioned, and then marched to your location to kick you out.

Correct. If you just run out and attack a town and log off in opc mode in the woods you'll freeze to death, or starve to death, or run out of water or something. Capturing land will take much more support and planning than just getting some pvp players rounded up and winning a few battles. And that difficulty increases the further away you are from your homes as your supply trains get longer and longer and you need to spend more and more people and time and resources protecting them and protecting the land you just captured until ownership of the control for it flips. It is going to take more than just PvP prowess and some swords to grab a throne in this game.

3/30/2017 7:32:44 PM #32

What if a Count or Duke wants to declare independence and the County or Dukedom can survive military attack for the designated time? Is this something that isn't planned for launch but might be added later on?

3/30/2017 7:45:15 PM #33

Posted By Rutledge at 3:32 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

What if a Count or Duke wants to declare independence and the County or Dukedom can survive military attack for the designated time? Is this something that isn't planned for launch but might be added later on?

If you want to declare Independence, you need Casus Belli. At the County Level, this means you need either 75% of your fellow Counts to rise up against your Duke to create a separate Duchy (though still under the same King), or 50% of your Duke's fellow Dukes, or 25% of your duke's fellow dukes and the approval of your King..

If you're a Duke and you want to split off and create a new Kingdom, you either need 75% of your fellow Dukes or...since your King has no 'loyal' peers and no superior...you'd need support from a rival Kingdom.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/30/2017 8:24:53 PM #34

Posted By Kaynadin at 8:55 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

If you just run out and attack a town and log off in opc mode in the woods you'll freeze to death, or starve to death, or run out of water or something.

Who said your army would starve?

If you attack a capital and take it (and other towns as well) why the hell would you run to forest and log off? o.O

You would stay in city fortified and supplied, by housing bonuses food etc, and in fact old kings army (driven out of cities) would starve and freeze, not yours.

Also I don't see why you would need to capture titles in order in scenario where you defeat a King and all his nobility at once, you take it all, and you designate new people and give them titles.

3/30/2017 8:25:57 PM #35

Posted By Rutledge at 9:32 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

What if a Count or Duke wants to declare independence and the County or Dukedom can survive military attack for the designated time?

For me it would be logical that you can do this. And if you can defend yourself and defeat Kings forces that would attempt to prevent this who's to say you can't run your own county on your own, if you have enough resources to sustain (and defend) yourself.

Not everything needs CB. CB only ensures that other competitors agree not to touch you after the deal, that's all. But if you are strong enough on your own, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do things on your own.

3/30/2017 8:29:37 PM #36

Posted By guildsbounty at 9:45 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

If you want to declare Independence, you need Casus Belli. At the County Level, this means you need either 75% of your fellow Counts to rise up against your Duke to create a separate Duchy (though still under the same King), or 50% of your Duke's fellow Dukes, or 25% of your duke's fellow dukes and the approval of your King..

That's legitimate CB.

Who's to say you couldn't declare independence without support of your king, just by having brute military power on your side and decide you wish to be separated from old kingdom, and then just fortify yourself and defend yourself, without anyone else agreeing with you?

You should remember than you don't have to do everything by administrative legitimate means. You can make your own choices.

3/30/2017 8:37:11 PM #37

Posted By Gothix at 4:29 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Posted By guildsbounty at 9:45 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

That's legitimate CB.

Who's to say you couldn't declare independence without support of your king, just by having brute military power on your side and decide you wish to be separated from old kingdom, and then just fortify yourself and defend yourself, without anyone else agreeing with you?

You should remember than you don't have to do everything by administrative legitimate means. You can make your own choices.

Well, in that case, I guess we'll find out how that'll go if it ever happens. The system, as presently described by the developers, would never recognize you as a legitimate ruler if you did not seize your position via Casus Belli. Everything you did would be considered a criminal act and punished as such by the system. There would be an endless stream of bounty tokens issued from your actions, and the lawmaking systems built into cities would reject your attempts to use them. You could still 'rule' in a practical sense, but unless the developers alter their present plans, the game will consider you a criminal, not a noble.

Now, whether or not that will be how it is actually implemented in game, we don't know. It's possible that it may change...but all I have to go on is what the developers have directly said. And they have said that the only way to acquire a noble title is by means of Casus Belli.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/30/2017 9:05:48 PM #38

Posted By guildsbounty at 10:37 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Well, in that case, I guess we'll find out how that'll go if it ever happens. The system, as presently described by the developers, would never recognize you as a legitimate ruler if you did not seize your position via Casus Belli. Everything you did would be considered a criminal act and punished as such by the system. There would be an endless stream of bounty tokens issued from your actions, and the lawmaking systems built into cities would reject your attempts to use them. You could still 'rule' in a practical sense, but unless the developers alter their present plans, the game will consider you a criminal, not a noble.

Now, whether or not that will be how it is actually implemented in game, we don't know. It's possible that it may change...but all I have to go on is what the developers have directly said. And they have said that the only way to acquire a noble title is by means of Casus Belli.

Yep.

That's why I'm posting this because in my opinion that's "limiting a sandbox". When system forces you to do something in some way, and doesn't let you do it in another way.

I'm pro for this game being a more liberal sandbox, and not a limited sandbox variant. :)

3/31/2017 8:44:02 PM #39

bump

3/31/2017 8:46:37 PM #40

Posted By Heatmiser at 1:44 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

bump

y tho?

3/31/2017 8:47:46 PM #41

tired of seeing mr. vains posts

3/31/2017 8:51:42 PM #42

This is not the answer, dude.