COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
"Evil" Guilds for the sake of stories

I had an interesting idea; A pk guild that regularly assasinates political figures or does small scale raids for the sole purpose of making npc's generate quests to capture them. How many people would allow or even support this kind of guild? Would you want them wiped out or is the quest generation based on these events a good idea?

3/30/2017 6:19:25 AM #1

Personally it all comes down to how much damage they are doing. I love the risk factor within this game and have seen some pk groups. Though seems most aren't on my server. So having them removed completely, if they are driving storyline would be bad. But at the same time, normally their mission is just to kill as many people as possible, with no real end goal.

It's like with any bandit group really. Do small raids and some nobles may just leave you alone. Though you are a threat, you aren't a big enough threat to really send an army after. But you start wiping out towns or raiding them full on. Hitting some trade routes every week and basically "not playing it smart". Then watch bounty hunters/armies come after you. Which will be driving the storyline forward anyway. Gotta have both sides of the coin in this world.

3/30/2017 9:37:53 AM #2

I wouldn't want them wiped out but unfortunately the only way you can react to this sort of group is to drive them away from your land. Can't exactly expect people to be like 'its all part of the experience' while their NPC's continue being killed and their stuff raided.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

3/30/2017 1:09:57 PM #3

Yeah....

Nobles have an obligation to protect their people. If you fail to protect your people, expect them to declare Casus Belli and replace you with someone who will protect them.

That said, there will certainly be criminal organizations out there...ranging from bandits in the wilds...to very possibly Mafia-style crime groups operating within cities and skirting around the law as much as possible.

That said, as I have expounded upon in prior posts of mine...I do not anticipate a dedicated PK guild to survive very long in CoE. The survival aspects and murder penalties would ultimately cripple them if they continue to act like a band of serial killers.

Knowing what I can do isn’t the same thing as knowing what I can’t do.

3/30/2017 1:19:29 PM #4

Pretty sure there's already guilds like this.

3/30/2017 1:50:19 PM #5

Posted By Soichi at

>... A pk guild that regularly assasinates political figures or does small scale raids for the sole purpose of making npc's generate quests to capture them....

I don't really think that adds "good" story, what do I mean by that?

• assassinating political figures adds nothing of story related content, sure if it's used in a context for another person to rise in power (people are greedy, and that's always a huge driving factor for story) so we'll probably see more "natural" progression considering that fact. But regularly assassinating people doesn't add story, if you do something regularly it removes the "intensity" of it happening. Also what story would it add? Person assassinates a political figure and then goes away, no plot to follow up with, it maybe makes the political figure sad/pissed and that's it.

• Same goes with the "npc quests to capture the assassin?" I presume you mean? But what kinda story does that add? It seems more like one of those annoying daily/side quests you need to do in games.

What we might see which will be more likely would be a bandit group, raiding and killing for the sole purpose of profit. Might not Perma-kill people, as that's always a bit of a douch-move unless you need that person to perma-die. (but the penalty will rise accordingly)

But I rather see story come more natural than just being another "oh we have some pkers who we need to take care of" but being something different. People aren't all good, we're all controlled by different ambitions being greed, envy, wroth, lust or whatever sins we can get hold of, so we'll always be sure that there'll be player stories, though they'll most likely wary from being just another pk, go capture or go kill story.

3/30/2017 2:03:07 PM #6

Posted By Soichi at

I had an interesting idea; A pk guild that regularly assasinates political figures or does small scale raids for the sole purpose of making npc's generate quests to capture them. How many people would allow or even support this kind of guild? Would you want them wiped out or is the quest generation based on these events a good idea?

From my current understanding most quests are PC driven, not NPC. If you have a group our raiding and killing the PC's sooner or later will get feed up and go for a total elimination of the problem. So while maybe viable in short term, long term they most likely will not survive.

Mayor, Settlement of Otterbear Creek, County of Sagehaven, Duchy of Mytharbor, Kingdom of Alesia. Friend Code: C3A1F2

A good commander knows when to fight, a great commander knows when not too.

3/30/2017 2:36:53 PM #7

There is no such thing as objectively evil human behavior unless you also classify it as madness. What you want is a conflict of interests between ordinary citizens and less scrupulous people able to get their hands on power and influence.

And I assure you, such people will exist. Simply because for one to end up with power and influence that is above the norm without inheriting it is rarely possible to begin with. Not to mention that those in power tend to desire to stay in power, as such even if they obtained it through honorable means, they are often tempted to use not-so-honorable means to keep it.

Ladies and gentlement, we are presented with an entire society to simulate. Abandon your doubts whether enemies of the public will crop up. Rather, question yourself whether you are prepared to adapt to the circumstances.

3/30/2017 2:38:03 PM #8

I don't think it will be necessary to do things to generate story in this game. The mechanics of the game make stories come about naturally. Providing for your characters needs and furthering your goals for your character will generate story pretty much automatically with the mechanics the developers are designing. Add the story engine and personal destinies in, and I don't think anyone will ever be without interesting things to do.

Shieldwall Strong!

3/30/2017 3:31:58 PM #9

There is going to be those who gravitate towards this type of thing anyways. Not sure if it is worth discussing really, it is an inevitability that a group ne'er-do-wells will pop up an wreak havoc. Whether this will effect a story or not is irrelevant; if something can happen, it will.

3/30/2017 3:46:06 PM #10

Feels like maybe 10% of people have this goal. Though they wont be on here as much since they will have low pledges

3/30/2017 6:39:56 PM #11

Posted By Reikan at 08:46 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Feels like maybe 10% of people have this goal. Though they wont be on here as much since they will have low pledges

I feel like they would pledge higher if there was more non politician pledges

3/30/2017 6:50:48 PM #12

Posted By Soichi at 2:39 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Posted By Reikan at 08:46 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

I feel like they would pledge higher if there was more non politician pledges

You could always pledge higher and turn the title into EP..Use EP to get other items like more land.

3/30/2017 7:15:37 PM #13

Correct me if I'm wrong. What you are suggesting is that, if there are no deviants in an area (however unlikely), then you would become a thief to give the guards something to do rather than to make money.

It's okay to make mistakes. At least...that's what everyone keeps telling me.

3/30/2017 8:04:56 PM #14

Personally I think we have too many evil groups as it is.

3/30/2017 9:45:58 PM #15

Well put, Yorick.

Tartarus