COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Dying in the wrong place.

Death is gonna happen but one thing that bugs me is if you do die and spirit walk and get back, your body is in the same place as it was when you died. What if you died fighting an epic monster at its home cave deep in the mountains and now every rebirth followed by being slaughtered by the same monster over and over again only making small amounts of progress in running away each time.

Or (and I feel as this is far, far worse) what if an invading army is camped in my lands and a push is attempted to remove them. If this attempt fails now my body is in the middle of a hostile army and each revive I will most likely suffer a similar fate over and over till they move off.

3/30/2017 5:41:46 PM #1

I'm to lazy to go check the relevant DJ,

but I'm 95% certain they said you would respawn a short distance away from where you died, for the very reasons you specified.

However I don't remember them specifying how far away "short" was

3/30/2017 5:49:19 PM #2

Hopefully you spawn about a mile away.

3/30/2017 6:02:00 PM #3

There is a 2 hour cooldown period after spirit walking.

\[T]/

3/30/2017 6:28:25 PM #4

??? How would that work You can't be knocked unconscious...or you can't be killed aka coup de grace'd? In those two hours are your actions limited in any way?

3/30/2017 6:29:52 PM #5

Posted By Abuncha_nada at 2:28 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

??? How would that work You can't be knocked unconscious...or you can't be killed aka coup de grace'd? In those two hours are your actions limited in any way?

Going off him saying "killed" I will go with, you can't be coup de graced

Kingdom: Alesia
Duchy: Rhyddid
County: Draken's Landing
Settlement: Drakenshire

3/30/2017 6:31:33 PM #6

Posted By Rovert at 11:29 AM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Posted By Abuncha_nada at 2:28 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Going of him saying "killed" I will go with, you can't be coup de grade'd

Incorrect.

You can be CDG'd, you just won't lose more spirit than your first death which set off your spirit loss "cooldown". You'll still get looted.

I think his wording is a little... weird. If you couldn't be killed for 2 hours after your last CDG, that would be broke as all get out and a new meta of "undead assassins" would form, where people die to their friends so that they won't die to their enemies.

3/30/2017 6:33:48 PM #7

Oh. I thought the grace period was just for the spirit loss, not for the actual event of death. Interesting. Best to have your buddy coup de gras you, come back from spirit walk, them go annihilate the town. Invincible! 😎

3/30/2017 6:45:28 PM #8

Posted By Illuminati at 2:33 PM - Thu Mar 30 2017

Oh. I thought the grace period was just for the spirit loss, not for the actual event of death. Interesting. Best to have your buddy coup de gras you, come back from spirit walk, them go annihilate the town. Invincible! 😎

I believe Vucar was right with that it was worded weird and effects spirit walk not the act of killing. Either way you can still be knocked out, then they just have to put you in a paddy wagon naked and take you to a different town.

Kingdom: Alesia
Duchy: Rhyddid
County: Draken's Landing
Settlement: Drakenshire

3/31/2017 5:33:00 AM #9

All will be revealed come launch date.

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

4/1/2017 5:23:06 AM #10

I'm more worried what happens if you can't reach your body.

I know they mentioned a deep ocean and inside of a volcano as an examples of perma death. But they also said that perma death is anywhere where you can't reach your body, which is how mechanic works, if you can't spirit walk to your body in designated time, you perma die.

This is what worries me, the fact that this can happen on many places besides ocean and volcanoes and due to many reasons.

For example, I love exploring and I will try to go everywhere, I specially love mountain climbing and seeing the sights, so what happens if I die in a mountain and I can't reach my body anymore because my spirit can't do parkour in spirit world? Or if I fell on other side of mountain and I for any reason can't pass anymore to there with my spirit.

What if due to a glitch I fall through a map (happened countless times in countless MMOs), it's obvious I will not be able to spirit walk to my corpse in this case.

There can be many circumstances where it can happen that we can not reach our corpse, either due to a glitch or due to objects or due to many things unpredictable by devs atm.

By current mechanics it means that EVERY TIME this happens we lose our character, all time we invested into it, and need to pay extra 30$.

This is one most problematic mechanic in a whole game.

Some important questions:

• if due to a glitch we can't spirit walk to our corpse, and timer expires before support answers our ticket, and our character perma dies, can support restore our character back to life with everything he had on him, all gear, all skills, marriage status etc. etc. (and will they)?

• how will support treat tickets where we couldn't reach our corpse due to some hard terrain (high climb, someone building a huge wall around whole country (half joke, i'm just saying can be many things)) and it wasn't volcano or ocean involved? Will they restore our characters in such occasions?

4/2/2017 5:45:02 PM #11

Posted By Gothix at 01:23 AM - Sat Apr 01 2017

I'm more worried what happens if you can't reach your body.

I know they mentioned a deep ocean and inside of a volcano as an examples of perma death. But they also said that perma death is anywhere where you can't reach your body, which is how mechanic works, if you can't spirit walk to your body in designated time, you perma die.

This is what worries me, the fact that this can happen on many places besides ocean and volcanoes and due to many reasons.

For example, I love exploring and I will try to go everywhere, I specially love mountain climbing and seeing the sights, so what happens if I die in a mountain and I can't reach my body anymore because my spirit can't do parkour in spirit world? Or if I fell on other side of mountain and I for any reason can't pass anymore to there with my spirit.

What if due to a glitch I fall through a map (happened countless times in countless MMOs), it's obvious I will not be able to spirit walk to my corpse in this case.

There can be many circumstances where it can happen that we can not reach our corpse, either due to a glitch or due to objects or due to many things unpredictable by devs atm.

By current mechanics it means that EVERY TIME this happens we lose our character, all time we invested into it, and need to pay extra 30$.

This is one most problematic mechanic in a whole game.

Some important questions:

• if due to a glitch we can't spirit walk to our corpse, and timer expires before support answers our ticket, and our character perma dies, can support restore our character back to life with everything he had on him, all gear, all skills, marriage status etc. etc. (and will they)?

• how will support treat tickets where we couldn't reach our corpse due to some hard terrain (high climb, someone building a huge wall around whole country (half joke, i'm just saying can be many things)) and it wasn't volcano or ocean involved? Will they restore our characters in such occasions?

If certain locations result in permadeath, then either use extreme caution and preparations before venturing forth(into those locations), or avoid them altogether. An excess of hand-holding by the devs will reduce the quality of the gaming experience.

4/2/2017 9:23:12 PM #12

Posted By nopenotme at 7:45 PM - Sun Apr 02 2017

If certain locations result in permadeath, then either use extreme caution and preparations before venturing forth(into those locations), or avoid them altogether. An excess of hand-holding by the devs will reduce the quality of the gaming experience.

If you support wasting all your character time and extra cash each time you glitch somewhere, or something unexpected happens with you not being able to reach your corpse, you are just xxxx as xxxx. Sorry to say, but someone has to say it.

But judging by your character name, you are likely just a troll.

4/2/2017 9:36:36 PM #13

@ GOTHIX

Don't take it as a personal attack on yourself. Am just giving out general advice to the player-base. Cheers!

4/2/2017 10:45:28 PM #14

@ Gothiz

Permadeath is far more likely to be due to human error, or the mmo mindset of trying to find ways past the invisible walls or to put their character where it was never intended to do than to a glitch.

I've played mmos since Asherons call 1 and in AAA mmos I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've glitched to my death. Getting stuck sure but falling through the world Ext only times it's happened is when I was literally trying to break something either in testing or to prove a point to someone in my guild.

Just like all other mmos if it happens you'll likely have to petition and after a review you would be restored. (Most likely setup for one off things)

Permadeath is meant to make folks think before they (literally) jump.

Cheers!

4/3/2017 3:45:39 PM #15

@ GOTHIX

That a poster may have a differing opinion or thought to one that you espouse is insufficient cause to think ill of that person.

It is not being said that your concern is meritless. It is being pointed out that there are other optional solutions to your angst.

Now granted you wish to explore new lands and exotic areas with a lower level of risk than the developers are building into certain parts of the game. That is fine. It is your prerogative to request that lower risk level, and if you choose to expect a high reward for this lowered risk, that too is within your right.

However, consider this. During the ages of exploration in mankind's history, great (and sometimes not so great) adventurers sought fame, fortune, and glory by exploring unknown and dangerous parts of the world. Those who neglected to either adequately prepare, or were unnecessarily rash, or were just unfortunately unlucky(despite adequate preparations) suffered permadeath.

There are many examples of this, and it is easily researchable. Let me point out just a few: The adventurers into the Amazon basin/jungle; the many arctic explorers who lost men, equipment, ships, and sometimes materiels; the explorers of the jungles of central Africa; the explorers of the australian outback; the many Antartic explorers(Shackleton comes to mind); those who tried to brave Mount Everest, etc. I am sure there are others I have missed.

These explorers didn't just suffer illness and injury; some suffered permadeath.

Accepting the similarities between the humans of earth, and the menn/womenn of Elyria, and their similar historical narrative arc, it is more than reasonable to have areas of Elyria where the risk of permadeath needs to be taken into account in exploration/expedition planning, implementation, and the carrying out thereof.

We adventurers ought not to be fearful of said risk.