COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Kickstarter said one thing - now it's different?

I paid for a Count tier. In the Kickstarter it said I would get all the rewards below. A Baron title, a Mayor, etc.

Now I have to choose? I have to give up my Baron title if I want to run a commercial town? I have to give up my commercial center if I want to run a Stronghold?

I.. am very uncomfortable with this and I don't really see why I can't run/have both. It's what I paid for. It is what I expected - and more specifically, it is what I am capable of doing.

Getting less than what is paid for feels bad.

FC:D42D39

3/31/2017 6:55:31 PM #1

Essentially a baron is a mayor that has a contract with a duke. The terms of the contracts will likely vary. So if you want the title name of 'baron(ess)' rather than mayor(ess), simply arrange it with your duke.

There is no, current, limiting factor that says a barony cannot be a commercial center or that a mayor cannot develop a military.

Ultimately, this is a game in development and different features, mechanics, ect. will likely change throughout the development process.

3/31/2017 6:55:41 PM #2

Having pledged count, you still are in control of a county and settlement, but there was a simple mistake in that a baron and a mayor are inherently different. However, everyone starts out as a mayor. Where the majority of the difference lies will be in the contract. Barons have relatively the same duties as a mayor, except there is a contract between that leader and the duke that (usually) has the duke providing funding for military endeavours.

3/31/2017 6:58:23 PM #3

Kickstarter clearly states town/stronghold, it was never promised that you'd get both a stronghold and a town.

However there's nothing stopping you from starting as a mayor and getting a duke to fund you as a baron, or vice versa. Just speak to the dukes in your kingdom and arrange a deal. :)

3/31/2017 7:00:45 PM #4

Hi Jennifer,

The way nobility titles seems to be working is this

Monarch>Duke>Count>Baron/Mayor

The difference between a Baron and a Mayor is how the settlement starts out, however, there is a caveat that all the buildings will become available over the development period of your settlement.

So effectively, once you develop your settlement (which will presumably be the seat of your county) you will gain those economic/stronghold buildings.

Count Kelric Einarsson - County of Einarsvold

3/31/2017 7:21:58 PM #5

I'd like to clear things up a bit.

Settlement/Stronghold: A settlement and stronghold are functionally different, but administratively the same. Leading either involves deciding the growth and shape of the community and collecting taxes from the inhabitants. They differ mostly in the pre-existing presence of fortifications and troop support services. A stronghold will have more of these than a settlement to begin with, though either type will have access to them over the course of the game.

When you chose your settlement, you can select a stronghold if one is available.

Baron/Mayor: The leader of a settlement or a stronghold is always a Mayor (or Elder or Magistrate or what have you). A Baron is a special type of mayor who has additional responsibilities: they must maintain a certain level of fortification and military readiness, they must enforce laws in their local area, and they can judge capital (kingdom-level) crimes. In exchange for taking on these responsibilities, the Baron signs a contract with their Duke who will provide funds and support to carry out these additional duties.

Baron Pledge: This is the name of a Kickstarter Package. It does not guarantee a person will become a Baron, only that they get to pick a settlement or stronghold to lead at the outset of the game. It is confusing, and a label I'm sure the devs regret.

That said, if you select a border stronghold to lead, your duke would be silly not to offer you a contract for baronial status.

3/31/2017 8:08:02 PM #6

Many of you didn't even read my OP and just answered really strangely.

I'm a Count - and the Kickstarter did actually explicitly say that you get all the previous rewards and so, that's a Baron title. Now, they may have retroactively changed it -- I can't speak on that. But when I plunked down $500 I knew what I was buying.

I'm still now forced to decide and lose out on one or the other at the start. Sure, sure, "everything is possible" once the game goes live. Not what I'm talking about here.

Only getting partially what you thought you were getting just doesn't feel right, despite any caveats.

They way I see it, since I'm a Count - I should very well be able to run my Seat as I see fit, as my own Baron (defense) and Mayor (commerce) and not have to lose out on one or the other.

3/31/2017 8:18:14 PM #7

I don't see how? It seems that your question has been answered rather adequately...even now, looking at the Kickstarter pledges once again, I see that all it says in regards to your settlement and title is this:

"BARON/BARONESS (digital)

• Baron/Baroness Title in-game

• Choose your town/stronghold & name it"

Nowhere does it say, at least not immediately, what constitutes as a baron. The devs have admitted to making a mistake when naming the pledge packages initially, but in terms of functionality, there is no difference between a simple mayor and a baron. As far as the pledges are concerned; Kickstarter baron = current mayor

I also don't see how you're missing out on anything when the two are almost exactly the same, nor do I see how you're being forced to choose between two things you had though you were getting when there is only one there. Interestingly enough, there wasn't even a mayor tier during the Kickstarter due to that mistake...

What we were all trying to explain to you (as far as I can see) is that you are indeed receiving the same rewards provided in the Kickstarter, if not more. There's nothing stopping you from becoming a baron if you find a duke who's willing.

3/31/2017 8:27:59 PM #8

actually, when you were pledging during kickstarter this is what you saw:

the source page for that image is HERE

if you read it carefully it says you get "Choose your town/stronghold & name it³" note the words 'choose' and 'it'

'choose' is the choice between a town OR a stronghold and you name IT, not them (if they were giving you both)

note also the forum border/badge:

there isn't one on the kickstarter page for 'Mayor'

nor is mayor mentioned seperately in the image of what you get for each tier (and the preceding ones)

i think that you misread things, because none of the counts in my kingdom were ever under the impression that they were getting BOTH a mayor AND a Baron title - they all took it that they could make the settlement they choose to be either economy or military oriented, and be a mayor or baron accordingly (in addition to their count title)

3/31/2017 8:37:50 PM #9

Quote taken directly from Kickstarter tier: "Choose your town/stronghold & name it"

It doesn't say both. It's a slash not a comma.

That said, there's no reason you cant build some military buildings in your commercial centre or commercial buildings in your military centre.

Of course you're going to excel at only one. Each settlement type buffs the advancement of certain skills. You can't have it all and throw away balance ;)

A county seat is the settlement you manage your county from ie your settlement. It doesn't say it's a seperate settlement or that you get two.

3/31/2017 9:03:44 PM #10

Guys, umm, I hate to like, beat a dead horse and I am finding this hilarious, like.. a lot.

But, I'm not a Baron.

I'm a Count. Please... can you guys exercise just a modicum of reading comprehension please? I didn't pledge Baron I have absolutely no idea where you're getting this idea from other than the fact that I said Baron somewhere.

Also; I'm not at all confused.

I'm saying I don't think it's right.

3/31/2017 9:06:55 PM #11

You get the Count Title, as well as Mayor/Baron (for your single settlement).

People are pointing out that there is a difference between Mayor and Baron. They are not 100% exactly the same thing.

Also, in CoE (Just like real life) people will hold MANY titles. A King is a King, a Duke (Of his Duchy), a Count (Of his County), a Mayor/Baron (Of his city), and whatever else he has to be in order to maintain his holdings.

It works for all the Noble Tiers (Unless said King or what-have you delegates the roles below him to someone else).

So, you will be a Count (Of your county) AND a Mayor OR Baron of your settlement!

3/31/2017 9:07:32 PM #12

Posted By jennifer at 2:03 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

Guys, umm, I hate to like, beat a dead horse and I am finding this hilarious, like.. a lot.

But, I'm not a Baron.

I'm a Count. Please... can you guys exercise just a modicum of reading comprehension please?

Sassy and regretful, just like a typical Jennifer

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

3/31/2017 9:12:41 PM #13

Jennifer, as per the kickstarter system it says you get all of the previous rewards, one of which is the choice of either a stronghold or settlement. Although a Count you'll still begin the game as a mayor also, and can become a baron via contracts with dukes just as people have said.

Also, depending on what settlements are available when you are able to choose your county and town, it may well come with a castle or other defencive structures, putting the best of both worlds together.

Please don't be so aggressive everyone is trying to help you.

3/31/2017 9:12:58 PM #14

Posted By jennifer at 2:03 PM - Fri Mar 31 2017

But, I'm not a Baron.

I'm a Count. Please... can you guys exercise just a modicum of reading comprehension please? I didn't pledge Baron I have absolutely no idea where you're getting this idea from other than the fact that I said Baron somewhere.

Also; I'm not at all confused.

I'm saying I don't think it's right. I paid for Count. I get all previous rewards and that includes Baron. They retroactively reduced what you get... and I don't think that jives well. I don't agree. It feels bad, spending $500 and getting less.

You are a Baron. You are also a Count. What about that confuses you? You were promised a county and a settlement. You are getting a county and a settlement.

Please, accept that you are confused, and check your own reading comprehension. Everyone here understands the issue except you.

3/31/2017 9:15:09 PM #15

I'd have to agree with the OP. When I originally backed it DID state Count pledge gets both Mayor and Baron titles and the Baron's cape/cloak to go with it.

Now, did they change that somewhere along the line? Yes they did. I believe Caspian may have mentioned having to differentiate the two in the Kickstarter packages but I can't recall where or when he said this.

Do I agree? It doesn't really bother me. Like others have said you can always ask your Duke to fund you and grant you a Barony within your own County... or you could, you know... make another settlement in your County, choose to be a Baron and then Mayor of your new settlement.

There's many ways ingame to fix this that aren't that hard. Besides... we're Counts. It's not that difficult with our advantageous position we start in.