COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
What are you playing now?

I don't mean right at this minute. Right now you're reading the Elyria forums aren't you. What games are you playing when you're not here?

Tell us about the games and any thoughts on what you like / dislike about them.

For me, I've been playing Wurm online again. It's a sandbox building game, sort of. This time I'm not hosting the server. I like the freedom of design. I don't like big flat plots and square buildings though. I often like to stagger them at different heights and vary styles from area to area. At the moment I'm developing a timber village nestled in the forest while my brother develops stoneworks and mines higher up in the hills. For me, two key things are Wurms biggest failings.

1. The UI. When you get used to it you'll do fine, but it's not intuitive and tutorial is a joke. I'm a big believer that any game you should be able to get to grips with, using just a few keys and an intuitive interface.

2. AI / deserted. It lacks life. I love games like settlers. I'd love scripted villagers even if they did nothing and simply looked like they were working. A game should look pretty but give you the chance to sit back and see your work come to life, not look lifeless and abandoned. I almost wish there were "ghostly" villagers that never produced anything, but pretended to chop trees, browse markets etc to make it feel more alive.

Of course Elyria's graphics from the launch page totally put the likes of Wurm to shame too. Really playing wurm to get back into these slower paced mmo sandbox games. I see it as training :)

WURM:

Server: Sklotopolis Location: The mistwoods. (Look for the tiny track leading north from the road below) Map: http://andistyr.github.io/wu-map/#the-mistwoods

4/3/2017 10:53:24 PM #1

I went back to Elder Scrolls Online about a month ago, after having played in the beta and then the first six months (2.5 years ago). My water cooling pump died, though, so until I replace it, I'm limited to however long I can play before the CPU heats up so much that I drop to single digit frame rates. ;)

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

4/3/2017 11:10:55 PM #2

Currently playing Persona 3 Portable as I never beat it before, recently got and beat the new Zelda but other than that not much else short of American Trucking Simulator.

4/3/2017 11:34:40 PM #3

Currently playing:

Elder Scrolls Online, though I'm getting a bit tired of it - only really logging in to do daily crafting writs, set up a few posts on the guild traders and do half an hours worth of gathering before boredom sets in.

Just started playing Conan Exiles. It's a bit buggy but it is in early release so that's to be expected. Could turn out to be a really interesting survival game - or a complete mess, only time will tell.

Couple of games I'm looking forward to:

Ship of Heroes - a superhero game, possibly the spiritual successsor to City of Heroes (!)

Chronicles of Elyria - of course ;)

4/3/2017 11:38:32 PM #4

Posted By lunawisp at 5:34 PM - Mon Apr 03 2017

Ship of Heroes - a superhero game, possibly the spiritual successsor to City of Heroes hitting Kickstarter in a few hours!

And thank you for that, only got to play the last few days of that game so will be checking this out

4/4/2017 12:18:55 AM #5

Depending on the state of my internet (I hate centurylink so much), either ARK or Mount and Blade Warband.

The ARK forums right now are a somewhat hilarious shitstorm of people screeching over a moderate nerf and "ruining their hard work" despite the game clearly being an alpha- I really hope the same doesn't happen to CoE, but I have a feeling it will.

Mount and Blade is really getting me used to doing what a baron might do: constantly keeping track of my budget, how much I need to pay my soldiers, the state of our supplies, and etc.

4/4/2017 12:32:03 AM #6

Posted By Scheneighnay at 8:18 PM - Mon Apr 03 2017

Depending on the state of my internet (I hate centurylink so much), either ARK or Mount and Blade Warband.

The ARK forums right now are a somewhat hilarious shitstorm of people screeching over a moderate nerf and "ruining their hard work" despite the game clearly being an alpha- I really hope the same doesn't happen to CoE, but I have a feeling it will.

Mount and Blade is really getting me used to doing what a baron might do: constantly keeping track of my budget, how much I need to pay my soldiers, the state of our supplies, and etc.

I don't think people understand what Alpha means, they are going to change stuff. They should understand that putting work into Alpha it is going to get reset a bunch of times.That is why they do the alpha and Beta stages, to make adjustments before launch.

Just stopped playing swtor, and been playing Blade and soul, but need something else to play until CoE comes out.

4/4/2017 12:40:49 AM #7

League of legends and that's it. I'm not really interested in playing any other game and I'm not looking forward to play anything really. Every other game compared to CoE just seems to be shit.

4/4/2017 12:59:38 AM #8

Posted By Iccubus at 7:32 PM - Mon Apr 03 2017

Posted By Scheneighnay at 8:18 PM - Mon Apr 03 2017

I don't think people understand what Alpha means, they are going to change stuff. They should understand that putting work into Alpha it is going to get reset a bunch of times.That is why they do the alpha and Beta stages, to make adjustments before launch.

Just stopped playing swtor, and been playing Blade and soul, but need something else to play until CoE comes out.

I stopped playing SWTOR after I finished my first character's story a few months after launch- just had no endgame or replay value.

I'm still kindof annoyed that my operative made it through beta being considered to be completely balanced, and then they got nerfed immediately out of the gate because the community cried that they didn't like stealth classes.

Meanwhile Jedi sages and Sith sorcerers never got nerfed while I played, despite them making up half of the players you see in PVP...

4/4/2017 1:05:06 AM #9

I am currently rotating between the total war games and I am about to attempt the western roman empire campaign on Attila.

Kingdom: Alesia
Duchy: Rhyddid
County: Draken's Landing
Settlement: Drakenshire

4/4/2017 2:09:27 AM #10

Conan Exiles at the moment, bought elder scrolls a long time ago, got to lvl 50 and havnt played in a year easy. maybe more. in between those games ive dabbled in Long Dark. my summer car, and also Thehunter

4/4/2017 5:37:45 AM #11

world of warcraft... again. unsubbed many times before and just got back after a few months idle. things i don't like... felling like i'm sub par due to gear and unable to dedicate the time or consistency to join a raid group.

4/4/2017 7:00:31 AM #12

Posted By Wooga at 11:53 PM - Mon Apr 03 2017

I went back to Elder Scrolls Online about a month ago, after having played in the beta and then the first six months (2.5 years ago). My water cooling pump died, though, so until I replace it, I'm limited to however long I can play before the CPU heats up so much that I drop to single digit frame rates. ;)

I used to play that. Used a cheap 4 core 4ghz AMD cpu. Kicks out so little heat the basic heatsink is more than enough. Never had issues with framerates, but on most rigs it's never the cpu that bottlenecks :)

4/4/2017 7:50:59 AM #13

I am still playing Warcraft III The Frozen Throne ! That masterpiece will never aged. And I can't wait to get back home to put my hands on my computer to play Company of Heroes !

4/4/2017 7:57:41 AM #14

Currently playing World of warcraft and Avorion.

Being subbing and unsubing the last three expansions but Im starting to like the new raid atm so will be playing WoW for a couple of months before boredom kicks in ( again)

Avorion is just a game in Alpha, galaxy ship builder with a bunch of bugs (and alot of lag on MP) but still quite enjoyable.

4/4/2017 7:59:27 AM #15

Used to play GW2, B&S, now im playing Revelation Online, just passing time till CoE starts XD

• Dare to be kind and humble