COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Weighted Dice

I have a great idea for a skill in the deviant tree. What if as part of the deviant skill tree they could have a skill called "Weighted Dice" in which you can rig the tavern games in your favour. Maybe it could like an advantage roll in D&D, I don't know but I'm interested to see what SBS could do with this.

4/4/2017 3:08:33 PM #1

With all the deviant ideas that are coming up on the forums, I think we might need to start putting things into more general categories. Otherwise, using your suggestion, someone spends a month levelling up their skill in 'playing trick dice', scams with dice for an hour and then say "Huh, I just spent weeks grinding for this one little trick".

Not that I am saying your idea is bad, I love ideas like this which add more depth to a game world. I am just saying we may need to take all these little things and slot them into broader categories, almost like you would see in a game like Dishonored.

So as an example deviants might have the subtlety, tinkering and manipulation trees/skills. - Subtlety is everything from hiding in bushes and shadows, to sleight of hand and pick pocketing. - Tinkering is everything from making disguises, to loaded die and counterfeit coins. - Manipulation is things like coercing an NPC into letting you into a guarded room to convincing someone that you are a noble from the town over.

I think this is potentially even how things are already planned, but your idea just made me think of how this sort of structure will likely be necessary.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

4/4/2017 3:21:54 PM #2

As I understand it, skills will be divided into six categories, each with several subcategories, and individual skills. Using individual skills will give you experience for that skill, as well as its subcategory and category. This means individual skills can get pretty specific, and learning a skill similar to something you already know will be easier.

Shieldwall Strong!

4/4/2017 4:56:14 PM #3

Not wanting to be a party pooper but if this were a trainable skill no-one without it would gamble, unless they were a bit thick. Wouldn't it be better as a talent so it was rare and had to be discovered by being a gambler in the first place?

4/4/2017 5:08:41 PM #4

Posted By Primavera at 09:56 AM - Tue Apr 04 2017

Not wanting to be a party pooper but if this were a trainable skill no-one without it would gamble, unless they were a bit thick. Wouldn't it be better as a talent so it was rare and had to be discovered by being a gambler in the first place?

nah - what ya do is counter the skill with the bard like 'detective' skills - a bard with the skill would be able to flag the cheat instantly as a criminal - so dice cheats would need to use their discretion - such as using the normal dice 80% of the time and then switch them out when really high bets were placed - and hope and pray he doesn't get caught in the act

4/4/2017 5:31:46 PM #5

I like that idea.Posted By Dleatherus at 12:08 PM - Tue Apr 04 2017

Posted By Primavera at 09:56 AM - Tue Apr 04 2017

nah - what ya do is counter the skill with the bard like 'detective' skills - a bard with the skill would be able to flag the cheat instantly as a criminal - so dice cheats would need to use their discretion - such as using the normal dice 80% of the time and then switch them out when really high bets were placed - and hope and pray he doesn't get caught in the act

I like that idea