COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Biome Resources

I've seen a lot of talk of the 'traits' of the various tribes, but little on the effect that the biomes are going to have on playing as a certain tribe.

First of all I feel that the Erishe (Arid Desert) and the Yoru (Tundra) are going to have the toughest time overall due to how inhospitable their biomes are. They are clearly not going to be able to rely on any reasonable amount of farming to sustain themselves. Therefore I feel that these tribes are mostly going to be relying on hunting to feed their populations. Furthermore due to how dry their biomes are I think water is going to be a significant issue. So beyond a handful of Oasis' in the desert and rivers in the Tundra these tribes are going to have quite a bit of difficulty planting roots of any significant size. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling these tribes will overall be the weakest of the various tribes due to their severe limits on population, and I suspect low availability of usable resources.

Now, I'm wondering what others think of these and other tribes and how people are going to adapt to the biomes of the tribes they choose.

4/10/2017 12:04:17 AM #1

To address your initial comment, it has been stated that tribes will have inherent resistances to their particular biome conditions.

In regard to the viability of farming, you are likely right, but that is what makes a fantasy setting so interesting. Sure, in our world scarcity of food in a desert or tundra is a huge challenge, because life finds it significantly harder to thrive in these conditions.

But in CoE, there could be multiple unique species of plant and animal that live in these conditions, and I am sure the SBS team are coming up with some great things that will make living in these biomes not only possible but very interesting too.

If you are new to the community, the Design Journals will answer a lot of your questions.

4/10/2017 1:12:27 AM #2

Desert people will sustain themselves entirely on cactus flowers!

... in all seriousness, they have stated that every biome will have all the necessary resources for survival. We will have to wait and see what they are!

4/10/2017 1:38:08 AM #3

Well that's good to know, it certainly adds some new options. And I think the desert has some decent ability for mining aswell.

4/10/2017 3:05:48 AM #4

Posted By Dazzlin Flame at 9:38 PM - Sun Apr 09 2017

Well that's good to know, it certainly adds some new options. And I think the desert has some decent ability for mining aswell.

Yes... and perhaps petroleum as well.

4/10/2017 3:37:27 AM #5

Well in RL desert dwellers tend to be nomadic herders and/or traders or they dwell in settlements based around oasis's and ground wells that irrigate the few crops/orchards they do manage to grow. Also deserts tend to be home to salt pans that can be mined for valuable salt. That's not to mention the trade of local crafts to neighbouring biomes.

Imgur Imgur

4/10/2017 6:02:40 AM #6

Posted By Dazzlin Flame at

I've seen a lot of talk of the 'traits' of the various tribes, but little on the effect that the biomes are going to have on playing as a certain tribe.

First of all I feel that the Erishe (Arid Desert) and the Yoru (Tundra) are going to have the toughest time overall due to how inhospitable their biomes are. They are clearly not going to be able to rely on any reasonable amount of farming to sustain themselves. Therefore I feel that these tribes are mostly going to be relying on hunting to feed their populations. Furthermore due to how dry their biomes are I think water is going to be a significant issue. So beyond a handful of Oasis' in the desert and rivers in the Tundra these tribes are going to have quite a bit of difficulty planting roots of any significant size. Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling these tribes will overall be the weakest of the various tribes due to their severe limits on population, and I suspect low availability of usable resources.

Now, I'm wondering what others think of these and other tribes and how people are going to adapt to the biomes of the tribes they choose.

I agree that desert tribes will have a tough time being nomadic. But that does not mean players should not choose it. Some might like the added challenge. Caspian has stated..somewhere...that deserts will have rare minerals. Other tribes will pay good money for these minerals. i see someone making decent money here if they find the way.

I disagree that the small numbers in the tribes will make them more disadvantaged. I already talking about how they can make money, so lets talk about safety from other players of bigger grouping. First of all, these desert nomads will be well versatile in the sand, while the attacking large group may not be. They might not do will in the heat as the dessert tribes would. They may not have the mounts capable of traversing deserts with ease. so no, these small nomadic tribes wont be disadvantaged in the desert.

Lets talk about creating civilizations. OF course it will be hard to create permanent dwelling/city in the desert. But if it can be done irl then it can be done in coe. Plus all the mineral money can be of big help. and if you build it, they will come! the players.

4/10/2017 6:44:41 AM #7

It's likely each tribe will be at a natural advantage within their home territory. Those that have adapted to environmental extremes will likely have a strong advantage against invaders who haven't. Tiny races living in the forest may be small enough to easily hide behind or within some trees. Savannah tribe members may outrun their opponents out on the plains. The list goes on. In regards to farming, the Yoru will likely be comprised more heavily of hunters, taking down long furred animals.

In short, don't anticipate any disadvantage to being on your home turf. However, further afield, you likely will be at a disadvantage. Fighting other tribes on their home turf will likely place you in a weak position.

4/10/2017 7:06:19 AM #8

this game is a survival game, consider these biomes "hard mode"

also something to note is that marching an army up to the frozen lands or dry deserts will prove to be disadvantageous to the attackers if they are not of a race originating from said biome.